Resource compilation

Re: CLI argument parsers (was: Resource compilation)

Bo Berglund
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 00:56:12 +0100, Martok
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Am 13.01.2019 um 18:43 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:
>> Assuming you mean the command-line arguments:
>>
>> What's wrong/missing with the functionality in TCustomApplication ?
>Other than that nobody in the wild seems to fully use it? ;-)
>Even most of the examples in the compiler tree use homegrown parsers, or look
>like [1].

By changing the subject of an existing (very old thread) and post new
content you have screwed up the message handling of threads so this
conversation now gets stuffed into the "Resource compilation" thread
dating back a year and 3 months...

Please start new threads from scratch instead.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: CLI argument parsers

Martok
Am 14.01.2019 um 18:05 schrieb Bo Berglund:
> By changing the subject of an existing (very old thread) and post new
> content you have screwed up the message handling of threads so this
> conversation now gets stuffed into the "Resource compilation" thread
> dating back a year and 3 months...
>
> Please start new threads from scratch instead.
I just changed the title for my reply to an already off-topic reply - but
apparently people don't do that old newsgroup convention anymore.

My original reply post was very much supposed to be in this thread. But as
nobody seems to care about that post's content anyway and instead latches on to
the smallest of notes... well. Whatever.

Martok

Re: CLI argument parsers

wkitty42
On 1/15/19 2:02 PM, Martok wrote:
> Am 14.01.2019 um 18:05 schrieb Bo Berglund:
>> By changing the subject of an existing (very old thread) and post new
>> content you have screwed up the message handling of threads so this
>> conversation now gets stuffed into the "Resource compilation" thread
>> dating back a year and 3 months...
>>
>> Please start new threads from scratch instead.
> I just changed the title for my reply to an already off-topic reply - but
> apparently people don't do that old newsgroup convention anymore.

actually, they do if they have any understanding of proper netiquette ;)

> My original reply post was very much supposed to be in this thread. But as
> nobody seems to care about that post's content anyway and instead latches on to
> the smallest of notes... well. Whatever.

it is ok, martok :)

Re: CLI argument parsers (was: Resource compilation)

Bart-48
On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 3:04 PM Michael Van Canneyt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think getopts has changed since the bug was reported, but maybe the proposed fix is still valid.

The report is from 2011.
Since then there has been a 1 change, adding 1 line, to getopts.pp

I tried the proposed fix (it should go in 5 lines from the bottom i=of
Internal_getopt), and it does not fix the issue.

--
Bart

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 11:02 PM Bart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried the proposed fix (it should go in 5 lines from the bottom i=of
> Internal_getopt), and it does not fix the issue.

I attached a possible fix to the bugreport.

Are there tests for the getopst unit?

--
Bart

Re: CLI argument parsers

Bo Berglund
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 20:02:05 +0100, Martok
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Am 14.01.2019 um 18:05 schrieb Bo Berglund:
>> By changing the subject of an existing (very old thread) and post new
>> content you have screwed up the message handling of threads so this
>> conversation now gets stuffed into the "Resource compilation" thread
>> dating back a year and 3 months...
>>
>> Please start new threads from scratch instead.
>I just changed the title for my reply to an already off-topic reply - but
>apparently people don't do that old newsgroup convention anymore.

I think the "old newsgroup convention" is to start a completely new
thread as a pristine message without embedded history.
I read all of my watched groups through a news reader....

>My original reply post was very much supposed to be in this thread. But as
>nobody seems to care about that post's content anyway and instead latches on to
>the smallest of notes... well. Whatever.

Explanation:
------------
I have archived this mail list via GMANE News so I have *everything*
from about Sept 2003. Very handy for local searches of issues and
content.

The original thread started at 2017-09-23 and discussions on it
continued a bit over 2 weeks until your last message on 2017-10-11.

Later the thread was resumed by you on 2018-08-04 and went on a few
days until 2018-09-09 (your last message then).

Then again the thread was resumed by you 2019-01-13 and now after a
few hours you renamed the subject to "CLI argument parser" and a fair
deal of activity ensued.

The problem with this for users interfacing to the discussion via news
readers is that these keep track of the posts not via the subject line
but through some identity marker in the headers of the messages and
this causes new messages to be inserted into the *original* thread
instead of appearing at the bottom of the thread list in the reader.
(Or top if you sort your threads that way)

I discovered that suddenly there were unread messages in my reader but
I could not see any among the new stuff. So I had to go hunting for
them and found this thread a long way up in the hierarchy...

This is what happens when one re-purposes old threads for new stuff.

I just wanted to make you aware of the readability issue, sorry if I
have upset you.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: CLI argument parsers

Martok
> I have archived this mail list via GMANE News so I have *everything*
> from about Sept 2003. Very handy for local searches of issues and
> content.
I do the exact same thing, and I know how much bad threading can ruin the
usefulness of a group.

You may want to examine whose message was the first one in the recent tree that
did not directly relate to progress reports on the resource compiler, and if
that still bothers you, take it up with Tomas.

> I just wanted to make you aware of the readability issue, sorry if I
> have upset you.
Don't worry, *you* haven't.

And, given that this was something of my last attempt to contribute something
useful anyway, there won't be any more messages from my side that could upset
you (or anyone else), at least for a long while.

Cheers,

Martok