Re: Why I?m choosing (Object) Pascal

Ingemar Ragnemalm
Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:
 > > > Hello,
 > > >
 > > > After a month (a bit more) of writing the above post, I finally
 > > > released it in my blog:
 > > > http://idkn.wordpress.com/2008/04/06/why-im-choosing-object-pascal/
 >
 > Just one remark:
 >
 > Have a look at http://www.morfik.com/ - a great way to creat pascal
 > web applications. No need for Perl/Ruby/Python. These tools are primitive
 > when compared to what Morfik does for you.
 >
 > Michael.

MS Windows only, otherwise it looks very interesting, although a bit
pricey. No signs of support for other platforms? I must say that the
very thought of creating web content with Pascal sounds like a dream
compared to crappy languages like PHP.

/Ingemar

Re: Why I?m choosing (Object) Pascal

ik-6
On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Ingemar Ragnemalm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > > > Hello,
>  > > >
>  > > > After a month (a bit more) of writing the above post, I finally
>  > > > released it in my blog:
>  > > > http://idkn.wordpress.com/2008/04/06/why-im-choosing-object-pascal/
>  >
>  > Just one remark:
>  >
>  > Have a look at http://www.morfik.com/ - a great way to creat pascal
>  > web applications. No need for Perl/Ruby/Python. These tools are primitive
>  > when compared to what Morfik does for you.
>  >
>  > Michael.
>
>  MS Windows only, otherwise it looks very interesting, although a bit
> pricey. No signs of support for other platforms? I must say that the very
> thought of creating web content with Pascal sounds like a dream compared to
> crappy languages like PHP.

Yes, but I prefer open source over a company only product. I do not
mind to pay for the tools, however, the past teaches us that business
issues can effect badly needed tools, so at the end, you either have a
product that does not follow the path you need, or a company that
sopped making the product itself (someone killed it or something).

>  /Ingemar

Ido
--
http://ik.homelinux.org/

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Ingemar Ragnemalm wrote:

> > Just one remark:
> >
> > Have a look at http://www.morfik.com/ - a great way to creat pascal
> > web applications. No need for Perl/Ruby/Python. These tools are primitive
> > when compared to what Morfik does for you.
> >
> > Michael.
>
> MS Windows only, otherwise it looks very interesting, although a bit pricey.
> No signs of support for other platforms? I must say that the very thought of
> creating web content with Pascal sounds like a dream compared to crappy
> languages like PHP.

Linux works (I did the port myself) but is still a bit rough on the
deployment side, so they don't include it officially yet.
And if linux works, the other platforms should work also (I took care
of that during porting).

Re: Why I?m choosing (Object) Pascal

Matt Emson

On 7 Apr 2008, at 20:07, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Ingemar Ragnemalm wrote:
>
> Linux works (I did the port myself) but is still a bit rough on the
> deployment side, so they don't include it officially yet.
> And if linux works, the other platforms should work also (I took care
> of that during porting).

It looks very expensive still. $995 is a lot of money when compared to
other frameworks (RAILS come to mind, and ASP.NET via Mono.) You also
have to look at things like OpenLaszlo and Adobe Flex. If I was
writing a RIA, Flex is the route I would take (passable IDE, nice
enough language, very Powerful), runs on 90%+ of Intel based operating
systems, including Mac OS X, LINUX and Windows. Also runs on many
mobile phones and PDA's - N800/N810 (via full plugin), N series
Symbian based phones and many others (via Flash Lite 3.0.) If you
forgo the IDE, Flex is completely free.

Re: Why I?m choosing (Object) Pascal

Bee-6
> Linux works (I did the port myself) but is still a bit rough on the
> deployment side, so they don't include it officially yet.
> And if linux works, the other platforms should work also (I took care
> of that during porting).

Wow! That's really a great news! How did you do the port, using Lazarus?
If it's indeed run on Linux, I'll consider to purchase. Thanks, Michael. :)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com

Re: Why I?m choosing (Object) Pascal

greim

> Linux works (I did the port myself) but is still a bit rough on the
> deployment side, so they don't include it officially yet.
> And if linux works, the other platforms should work also (I took care
> of that during porting).

i know its more or less OT:
Windows for MORFIK development is not nice but we are living in a real
world..so what,.but
does i need a Windows web server ? We are using here
Debian/ubuntu based web servers. Any chance to run the server part there ??

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Markus Greim

Re: Why I?m choosing (Object) Pascal

Michael Van Canneyt

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, greim wrote:

> > Linux works (I did the port myself) but is still a bit rough on the
> > deployment side, so they don't include it officially yet.
> > And if linux works, the other platforms should work also (I took care
> > of that during porting).
> >
> i know its more or less OT:
> Windows for MORFIK development is not nice but we are living in a real
> world..so what,.but
> does i need a Windows web server ? We are using here
> Debian/ubuntu based web servers. Any chance to run the server part there ??

The server part is what I was talking about.