Re: KOL for freepascal (was: Extend the libraries people!)

Re: KOL for freepascal (was: Extend the libraries people!)

L505

| I'll see if MCK works with FPC 2.0.0.. if so, people could build applications in
| Delphi but compile in freepascal/lazarus. That would just be evil and nasty.

Well I tried it. MCK works first try on one of my projects I built with Delphi over a
year ago. Therefore, I'm happy to announce that you can <BIG FONT> create applications
in the Delphi IDE visually, and then compile them with FPC!</BIG FONT> using KOL/MCK.

I'll upload a flash video of my PC and show you what I mean - when I get a chance
(.swf format).

So basically using MCK/KOL one can
 - visually create applications with Delphi
 - open lazarus or any other IDE, compile the application that you built with Delphi
 - or compile the application with some other IDE, or command line FPC
 - someone may build a plug in for the Delphi IDE to compile the application with FPC
directly from Delphi IDE
 - have an exe application who is only 50KB in size or so!!

All I had to do was open an old MCK application I built a few months ago and add the
following lines to the code in each KOL/MCK source file:

{$MODE Delphi}
{$DEFINE KOL_MCK

What does this mean for us as FPC developers?
For Windows development, MCK/KOL applications can be created visually by RAD. Exe size
is 40KB for a simple application. Lazarus is 1MB currently. People can use KOL/MCK for
visual RAD on small-medium projects until lazarus is more mature with regards to exe
size.

This is very big news.. because all my KOL/MCK applications right now will compile
inside Lazarus with no modifications..and they were all built in Delphi months/years
ago.

I will have to check to see if all the MCK components will compile though.. hopefully
things like KOL synedit and KOL synapse may even compile.

Re: Re: KOL for freepascal (was: Extend the librariespeople!)

Matt Emson
> I will have to check to see if all the MCK components will compile
though.. hopefully
> things like KOL synedit and KOL synapse may even compile.

KOL uses Objects rather than Classes though, doesn't it? Shudder... a trip
back to 1987.. May as well use C++ with all it's referencing and
dereferencing of pointers... I wish the ACL compiled under FPC. ACL was a
much nicer library, and almost VCL alike in its layout too. Can easily make
an exe less than 100KB with ACL. Pity no one develops it anymore :-(

Matt

Re: Re: KOL for freepascal (was: Extend thelibrariespeople!)

L505

| > I will have to check to see if all the MCK components will compile
| though.. hopefully
| > things like KOL synedit and KOL synapse may even compile.

I have vmhsyntaxeditor working with just an error when I close the application
(synedit for kol).

| KOL uses Objects rather than Classes though, doesn't it? Shudder... a trip
| back to 1987.. May as well use C++ with all it's referencing and

Creating it visually is the key.. something we didn't have in 1987... but yeah, for
GUI windows apps starting at 40KB  ..smaller than all C applications I have seen (and
C++)... you can't expect full fledged everything I suppose.

You still go:

edit1.text:= 'something';

procedure button1click(sender:pObj);
begin
 form.caption:='hello';
end;

And instead of
 edit1:=TEdit.create;

You go
  newedit(form1);

And you must go
function something;
begin
 result:='something'; //always set the result before doing anything else
 YourCode;           // or application will act funny.
end;

Pointers are fairly invisible most of the time in KOL.. just like VCL hides them.

| dereferencing of pointers... I wish the ACL compiled under FPC. ACL was a

Basically invisible to the user in kol .

| much nicer library, and almost VCL alike in its layout too. Can easily make
| an exe less than 100KB with ACL. Pity no one develops it anymore :-(

I have heard about it before, haven't tried it yet.