Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Schindler Karl-Michael-2
Hi

I only noticed now the discussion on the mailing list about fpc 2.2.1
and lazarus on Mac OS X. As the maintainer of the .info files of fpc
and lazarus I should probably lay out my ideas about the future.

The next step is fpc 2.2.2. It should resolve some of the issues in a
clean way and enable to remove some workarounds as well as serve as a
solid base for a lazarus installation.

When this is settled, I will extend lazarus in the following way:

1) create so-called splitoffs, so there will be separate packages for
lazarus-gtk1, lazarus-aqua and when ready lazarus-gtk2.
Then the user can simply choose the best interface for his situation.
This can be done, whatever the default setting of LCLPLATFORM will be.

2) create double clickable Lazarus applications with links in /
Applications/Fink.

A remaining question is about the code base I will use for lazarus.
The best solution would clearly be that lazarus 0.9.26 comes out
shortly before i am ready and so I could base in on that. If not, I
would submit versions based on plain 0.9.24 as a first step. Depending
on the conditions then, one could consider an intermediate 0.9.25
version.

What is the status of the aqua version? Is 0.9.24 good enough at least
as a start until 0.9.26 is ready or is it absolutely necessary to
include the fixes since 0.9.24?

Best wishes - Michael.

Re: Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Damien Gerard

Le Jun 4, 2008 à 8:51 AM, Karl-Michael Schindler a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I only noticed now the discussion on the mailing list about fpc
> 2.2.1 and lazarus on Mac OS X. As the maintainer of the .info files
> of fpc and lazarus I should probably lay out my ideas about the
> future.
>
> The next step is fpc 2.2.2. It should resolve some of the issues in
> a clean way and enable to remove some workarounds as well as serve
> as a solid base for a lazarus installation.
>
> When this is settled, I will extend lazarus in the following way:
>
> 1) create so-called splitoffs, so there will be separate packages
> for lazarus-gtk1, lazarus-aqua and when ready lazarus-gtk2.
> Then the user can simply choose the best interface for his
> situation. This can be done, whatever the default setting of
> LCLPLATFORM will be.
>
> 2) create double clickable Lazarus applications with links in /
> Applications/Fink.

Please not Fink. Put only Lazarus.app as it already exists (Carbon
widgetset) into /Applications/ (through an installer since it installs
FPC too).

--
Damien Gerard
[hidden email]

"Intelligence is 10 million rules."
    -- Douglas Lenat

Re: Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Schindler Karl-Michael-2
Hallo

Am 4. Jun 2008 um 09:56 schrieb Damien Gerard:

> Le Jun 4, 2008 à 8:51 AM, Karl-Michael Schindler a écrit :
>
>> I only noticed now the discussion on the mailing list about fpc
>> 2.2.1 and lazarus on Mac OS X. As the maintainer of the .info files
>> of fpc and lazarus I should probably lay out my ideas about the
>> future.
>>
>> The next step is fpc 2.2.2. It should resolve some of the issues in
>> a clean way and enable to remove some workarounds as well as serve
>> as a solid base for a lazarus installation.
>>
>> When this is settled, I will extend lazarus in the following way:
>>
>> 1) create so-called splitoffs, so there will be separate packages
>> for lazarus-gtk1, lazarus-aqua and when ready lazarus-gtk2.
>> Then the user can simply choose the best interface for his
>> situation. This can be done, whatever the default setting of
>> LCLPLATFORM will be.
>>
>> 2) create double clickable Lazarus applications with links in /
>> Applications/Fink.
>>

> Please not Fink. Put only Lazarus.app as it already exists (Carbon
> widgetset) into /Applications/ (through an installer since it
> installs FPC too).

I do not really understand this. Fink is not suppossed to install
anything anywhere else than in the /sw/... tree and /Applications/
Fink. Direct installations into /Applications are the matter of
the .dmg based packages, which is a different way not related to fink.

How do you use fink for your work with freepascal and lazarus?

Best wishes - Michael Schindler_______________________________________________

Re: Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Damien Gerard

Le Jun 5, 2008 à 8:11 AM, Karl-Michael Schindler a écrit :

> Hallo
>
> Am 4. Jun 2008 um 09:56 schrieb Damien Gerard:
>
>> Le Jun 4, 2008 à 8:51 AM, Karl-Michael Schindler a écrit :
>>
>>> I only noticed now the discussion on the mailing list about fpc
>>> 2.2.1 and lazarus on Mac OS X. As the maintainer of the .info
>>> files of fpc and lazarus I should probably lay out my ideas about
>>> the future.
>>>
>>> The next step is fpc 2.2.2. It should resolve some of the issues
>>> in a clean way and enable to remove some workarounds as well as
>>> serve as a solid base for a lazarus installation.
>>>
>>> When this is settled, I will extend lazarus in the following way:
>>>
>>> 1) create so-called splitoffs, so there will be separate packages
>>> for lazarus-gtk1, lazarus-aqua and when ready lazarus-gtk2.
>>> Then the user can simply choose the best interface for his
>>> situation. This can be done, whatever the default setting of
>>> LCLPLATFORM will be.
>>>
>>> 2) create double clickable Lazarus applications with links in /
>>> Applications/Fink.
>>>

>> Please not Fink. Put only Lazarus.app as it already exists (Carbon
>> widgetset) into /Applications/ (through an installer since it
>> installs FPC too).
>
> I do not really understand this. Fink is not suppossed to install
> anything anywhere else than in the /sw/... tree and /Applications/
> Fink. Direct installations into /Applications are the matter of
> the .dmg based packages, which is a different way not related to fink.

> How do you use fink for your work with freepascal and lazarus?

I don't use Fink. I use MacPort, which is far better from my point of
view (actually more up-to-date than Fink, especially when there is a
major system update).

--
Damien Gerard
[hidden email]

"Intelligence is 10 million rules."
    -- Douglas Lenat

Re: Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Jonas Maebe-2

On 05 Jun 2008, at 09:50, Damien Gerard wrote:

> Le Jun 5, 2008 à 8:11 AM, Karl-Michael Schindler a écrit :
>
>> Hallo
>>
>> Am 4. Jun 2008 um 09:56 schrieb Damien Gerard:
>>
>>> Please not Fink. Put only Lazarus.app as it already exists (Carbon
>>> widgetset) into /Applications/ (through an installer since it
>>> installs FPC too).
>>
>> I do not really understand this. Fink is not suppossed to install
>> anything anywhere else than in the /sw/... tree and /Applications/
>> Fink. Direct installations into /Applications are the matter of
>> the .dmg based packages, which is a different way not related to
>> fink.
>>
>> How do you use fink for your work with freepascal and lazarus?
>
> I don't use Fink. I use MacPort, which is far better from my point
> of view (actually more up-to-date than Fink, especially when there
> is a major system update).

Michael creates the fink info files for the FPC distribution via fink.
If you don't use fink, it won't affect you.

Re: Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Damien Gerard

Le Jun 5, 2008 à 2:09 PM, Jonas Maebe a écrit :

> On 05 Jun 2008, at 09:50, Damien Gerard wrote:
>
>> Le Jun 5, 2008 à 8:11 AM, Karl-Michael Schindler a écrit :
>>
>>> Hallo

>>> I do not really understand this. Fink is not suppossed to install
>>> anything anywhere else than in the /sw/... tree and /Applications/
>>> Fink. Direct installations into /Applications are the matter of
>>> the .dmg based packages, which is a different way not related to
>>> fink.
>>>
>>> How do you use fink for your work with freepascal and lazarus?
>>
>> I don't use Fink. I use MacPort, which is far better from my point
>> of view (actually more up-to-date than Fink, especially when there
>> is a major system update).
>
> Michael creates the fink info files for the FPC distribution via
> fink. If you don't use fink, it won't affect you.

So no problem at all :)
It seems I did not understand it was a Fink only package. Sorry for
the disagreement

--
Damien Gerard
[hidden email]

"Intelligence is 10 million rules."
    -- Douglas Lenat

Re: Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 3:11 AM, Karl-Michael Schindler
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do you use fink for your work with freepascal and lazarus?

I think that the question is that using fink shouldn't be necessary to
install the Carbon based Lazarus. It could be deployed like any other
native application, in a .dmg disk image with a .app application
bundle, which can be moved to /Applications

Most people would like to avoid fink if possible, but maybe you have a
compeling reason to use it instead of the standard install method for
native applications

thanks,
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Vincent Snijders
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schreef:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 3:11 AM, Karl-Michael Schindler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> How do you use fink for your work with freepascal and lazarus?
>
> I think that the question is that using fink shouldn't be necessary to
> install the Carbon based Lazarus. It could be deployed like any other
> native application, in a .dmg disk image with a .app application
> bundle, which can be moved to /Applications
>
> Most people would like to avoid fink if possible, but maybe you have a
> compeling reason to use it instead of the standard install method for
> native applications

Fink could be useful for the compiler. The compiler is not installed under
/Applications.

Vincent

Re: Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

On 05 Jun 2008, at 15:31, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 3:11 AM, Karl-Michael Schindler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> How do you use fink for your work with freepascal and lazarus?
>
> I think that the question is that using fink shouldn't be necessary to
> install the Carbon based Lazarus.

Nobody has claimed that it is or should be. But Michael is working on
enabling the installation of a Carbon-based Lazarus using fink, and in
that case you have to decide on how to do it. Which is all what the
original question was about.

Re: Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Damien Gerard

Le Jun 5, 2008 à 3:32 PM, Vincent Snijders a écrit :

> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schreef:
>> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 3:11 AM, Karl-Michael Schindler
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> How do you use fink for your work with freepascal and lazarus?
>> I think that the question is that using fink shouldn't be necessary
>> install the Carbon based Lazarus. It could be deployed like any other
>> native application, in a .dmg disk image with a .app application
>> bundle, which can be moved to /Applications
>> Most people would like to avoid fink if possible, but maybe you
>> have a
>> compeling reason to use it instead of the standard install method for
>> native applications
>
> Fink could be useful for the compiler. The compiler is not installed
> under /Applications.

Snapshots don't use Fink as far I know and it works well on my laptop.
That's why I was talking about an installer, mostly to install FPC.
But I think it could be install in the same directory of Lazarus like
it is done under Windows.

By the way, I don't know if it is a good idea, but the install dir may
be /Developper/Applications/Lazarus instead of /Applications, like
XCode and others dev tools.

On 05 Jun 2008, at 15:45, Damien Gerard wrote:

> By the way, I don't know if it is a good idea, but the install dir
> may be /Developper/Applications/Lazarus instead of /Applications,
> like XCode and others dev tools.

As of Mac OS X 10.5.x, Xcode can be installed anywhere on the system
(and multiple versions of Xcode can be installed at the same time).

Re: Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Schindler Karl-Michael-2
Am 5. Jun 2008 um 15:31 schrieb Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho:

> Most people would like to avoid fink if possible, but maybe you have a
> compeling reason to use it instead of the standard install method for
> native applications

well, fink is a package manager and takes care of package dependencies
for example fpc, gtk and such for lazarus and that's what i use it
for :-)

 From a project perspective there is a chance that fink serves as
another channel of distribution.