Re: Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling

Re: Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling

Ingemar Ragnemalm
Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 Dec 2008, at 17:04, Giulio Bernardi wrote:
>

>> Joost van der Sluis ha scritto:
>>
>>> Op woensdag 31-12-2008 om 09:11 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef César
>>> Espinoza:

>>> I could be wrong but check if you have installed the binutils on your
>>> machine. (ld, as)
>>>
>> On Mac OS X, you have to install the Developer Tools (they are on
>> the Mac OS X DVD IIRC).
>>

> Correct, but the FPC installer package normally checks whether they
> are installed, by checking for the existence of /usr/bin/gcc. It's
> pretty odd that /usr/bin/gcc would exist, but /usr/bin/as not. Maybe
> the path is wrong in the terminal session for some reason?
>
> To César: what does
>
> echo $PATH
>
> show? And
>
> ls -l /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/as

It should be stressed that this problem is not isolated to one user; I
have got questions from at least two
users of Lightweight IDE. The IDE has nothing to do with it, of course,
it relies on FPC finding the
assembler. I suppose the IDE could call as itself when need arise, but
that seems like an unnecessary
workaround.

One of the users reporting problems did search for as, and found it in
/developer/usr/bin/as! So Xcode
was installed, and "as" was installed, but not in /usr/bin/as!

Maybe Apple has changed the paths in some Xcode version? I have no
problems on my MBP/10.5 though.

Perhaps an alias from /usr/bin/as would help? Or is there anything else
that FPC needs?

/Ingemar

Re: Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling

Jonas Maebe-2

On 19 Jan 2009, at 18:05, Ingemar Ragnemalm wrote:

> One of the users reporting problems did search for as, and found it
> in /developer/usr/bin/as! So Xcode
> was installed, and "as" was installed, but not in /usr/bin/as!
>
> Maybe Apple has changed the paths in some Xcode version? I have no
> problems on my MBP/10.5 though.
>
> Perhaps an alias from /usr/bin/as would help? Or is there anything
> else that FPC needs?

As of Xcode 3.x, you can install multiple versions of Xcode at the
same time on a system. To allow for this, Xcode can install everything
it needs into a a subdirectory, without installing anything globally
on the system (i.e., nothing under /usr, /var, ..., only things under
whatever directory you decide to install Xcode in).

However, for compatibility with standard unix development environments
and configure/makefile-based source distributions, you still have the
option to also install the command line utilities (such as automake,
autoconf, as, ld, gcc, cpp, ...) globally under /usr.

Now, I am pretty certain that this is done by default and that this is
only not done if you choose a custom install and deselect that option.
I don't have an Xcode installer lying around to verify that though.

If it is not the default anymore, I'm not sure how FPC itself could
solve it, because as mentioned earlier, you can install Xcode
anywhere. I could add a default configuration option so that FPC also
searches under /Developer/usr/bin for the assembler/linker, but that
would not necessarily be enough. On the other hand, the whole reason
of existence of that Xcode installation option is exactly for programs
such as FPC.

Jonas

PS: the option to tell FPC where to search for as and ld is -FD

On 20 Jan 2009, at 10:18, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2009, at 18:05, Ingemar Ragnemalm wrote:
>
>> One of the users reporting problems did search for as, and found it
>> in /developer/usr/bin/as! So Xcode
>> was installed, and "as" was installed, but not in /usr/bin/as!
>>
>> Maybe Apple has changed the paths in some Xcode version? I have no
>> problems on my MBP/10.5 though.
>>
>> Perhaps an alias from /usr/bin/as would help? Or is there anything
>> else that FPC needs?
>
> As of Xcode 3.x, you can install multiple versions of Xcode at the
> same time on a system. To allow for this, Xcode can install
> everything it needs into a a subdirectory, without installing
> anything globally on the system (i.e., nothing under /usr, /
> var, ..., only things under whatever directory you decide to install
> Xcode in).
>
> However, for compatibility with standard unix development
> environments and configure/makefile-based source distributions, you
> still have the option to also install the command line utilities
> (such as automake, autoconf, as, ld, gcc, cpp, ...) globally under /
> usr.
>
> Now, I am pretty certain that this is done by default and that this
> is only not done if you choose a custom install and deselect that
> option. I don't have an Xcode installer lying around to verify that
> though.

I've now verified it, and the installer option is called "UNIX
Development Support" and is selected by default. So if anyone reports
this error, tell them to relaunch the Xcode installer and to install
that option (although it's strange that FPC can be installed if Xcode
was installed without that option, because the FPC installer checks
for the existence of /usr/bin/gcc, and that one is not installed
either if you deselect that option).