RE: Possibly a dumb question.... (Jennifer Usher)

RE: Possibly a dumb question.... (Jennifer Usher)

Jeff Miller

> I have been trying to compile a simple test program and I keep getting
> the following errors:
>
>c:\lazarus\fpc\2.2.4\bin\i386-win32\windres.exe: can't open file
>`project1.manifest': No such file or directory

I am about a week ahead of you with Lazarus, and I struggled
with that error too. It seems you must save the project once
before you can compile it.  After the first save, you can make
changes and recompile without saving again, but that
first save seems to be crucial.

Jeff Miller (Otago)_______________________________________________

Re: RE: Possibly a dumb question.... (Jennifer Usher)

Jürgen Hestermann
>> I have been trying to compile a simple test program and I keep getting
>> the following errors:
>> c:\lazarus\fpc\2.2.4\bin\i386-win32\windres.exe: can't open file
>> `project1.manifest': No such file or directory
> I am about a week ahead of you with Lazarus, and I struggled
> with that error too. It seems you must save the project once
> before you can compile it.  After the first save, you can make
> changes and recompile without saving again, but that
> first save seems to be crucial.

It's a bit astonishing that there is no check before compiling that brings
up a "save project" dialog in such situations.

Re: RE: Possibly a dumb question.... (Jennifer Usher)

Vincent Snijders-2
Jürgen Hestermann schreef:

>>> I have been trying to compile a simple test program and I keep getting
>>> the following errors:
>>> c:\lazarus\fpc\2.2.4\bin\i386-win32\windres.exe: can't open file
>>> `project1.manifest': No such file or directory
>> I am about a week ahead of you with Lazarus, and I struggled
>> with that error too. It seems you must save the project once
>> before you can compile it.  After the first save, you can make
>> changes and recompile without saving again, but that
>> first save seems to be crucial.
>
> It's a bit astonishing that there is no check before compiling that
> brings up a "save project" dialog in such situations.

It is a bug ans should save that file automatically.

Vincent

Re: RE: Possibly a dumb question.... (Jennifer Usher)

Jennifer Usher

> I am about a week ahead of you with Lazarus, and I struggled
> with that error too. It seems you must save the project once
> before you can compile it.  After the first save, you can make
> changes and recompile without saving again, but that
> first save seems to be crucial.

As I said, I figured that out after discovering that the example programs
would compile without error.

Jennifer

2009/12/28 Jeff Miller <[hidden email]>:
> with that error too. It seems you must save the project once
> before you can compile it.  After the first save, you can make
> changes and recompile without saving again, but that
> first save seems to be crucial.

Please report this in Mantis as a Windows specific bug. Under Linux
(just tried again with latest SVN version) one could always (as long
as I can remember) compile and run projects without saving them. The
IDE automatically saves the project to the global /tmp directory
(which has read/write access for all users on the system). I would
have thought under Windows it would use a similar process, using the
logged-in users temp directory somewhere inside "Documents and
Settings" directory.

2009/12/28 Vincent Snijders <[hidden email]>:

> It is a bug ans should save that file automatically.

And the bug seems to be Windows specific. It works perfectly under
Linux, by automatically saving in the /tmp directory.

Re[2]: RE: Possibly a dumb question.... (Jennifer Usher)

José Mejuto
Hello FPC-Pascal,

GG> 2009/12/28 Jeff Miller <[hidden email]>:
>> with that error too. It seems you must save the project once
>> before you can compile it.  After the first save, you can make
>> changes and recompile without saving again, but that
>> first save seems to be crucial.
GG> Please report this in Mantis as a Windows specific bug. Under Linux
GG> (just tried again with latest SVN version) one could always (as long
GG> as I can remember) compile and run projects without saving them. The
GG> IDE automatically saves the project to the global /tmp directory
GG> (which has read/write access for all users on the system). I would
GG> have thought under Windows it would use a similar process, using the
GG> logged-in users temp directory somewhere inside "Documents and
GG> Settings" directory.

It's not a "windows" bug, I think that the "/tmp" folder of the user
has spaces:

C:\users\John Smith\temp

And this could raise problems. I had tested the new project (clean)
compilation and works perfectly in WinXP but my "/tmp" is "C:\Temp".

I think it will happend in any platform when the temp folder points to
somewhere with spaces.

--
Best regards,
 JoshyFun

Re: RE: Possibly a dumb question.... (Jennifer Usher)

Joost van der Sluis
On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 23:08 +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> 2009/12/28 Jeff Miller <[hidden email]>:
> > with that error too. It seems you must save the project once
> > before you can compile it.  After the first save, you can make
> > changes and recompile without saving again, but that
> > first save seems to be crucial.
>
> Please report this in Mantis as a Windows specific bug. Under Linux
> (just tried again with latest SVN version) one could always (as long
> as I can remember) compile and run projects without saving them. The
> IDE automatically saves the project to the global /tmp directory
> (which has read/write access for all users on the system). I would
> have thought under Windows it would use a similar process, using the
> logged-in users temp directory somewhere inside "Documents and
> Settings" directory.

Please try again first using a recent snapshot. I think this bug is
solved long ago..

Joost

Re: RE: Possibly a dumb question.... (Jennifer Usher)

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
2009/12/29 Joost van der Sluis <[hidden email]>:

> Please try again first using a recent snapshot. I think this bug is
> solved long ago..

I don't have the problem under Linux, and I used Lazarus SVN of
yesterday (which I think is recent enough).  I don't know how to
override the '/tmp' in Lazarus to see if Lazarus IDE will have
problems with spaces in directory names under Linux too. As far as I
know Linux doesn't use a TEMP environment variable like Windows - /tmp
always exist under *nix type OSes so is normally a safe choice.

Graeme Geldenhuys schreef:

> 2009/12/29 Joost van der Sluis <[hidden email]>:
>> Please try again first using a recent snapshot. I think this bug is
>> solved long ago..
>
> I don't have the problem under Linux, and I used Lazarus SVN of
> yesterday (which I think is recent enough).  I don't know how to
> override the '/tmp' in Lazarus to see if Lazarus IDE will have
> problems with spaces in directory names under Linux too. As far as I
> know Linux doesn't use a TEMP environment variable like Windows - /tmp
> always exist under *nix type OSes so is normally a safe choice.

On linux *you* don't use project1.rc, so you don't miss it. Linux simply
doesn't support icons in executables like windows does. It has nothing
to do with the location on /tmp.

Vincent

Re: RE: Possibly a dumb question.... (Jennifer Usher)

Bart-48
On 12/28/09, Joost van der Sluis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please try again first using a recent snapshot. I think this bug is
>  solved long ago..

According to http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=14982 this was
fixed in r22849?

Quoted from:
http://svn.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&root=lazarus&revision=22849

"IDE: creating manifest file only for win32/win64 and where the exe
is, which can differ from the project directory"

Bart

Re: RE: Possibly a dumb question.... (Jennifer Usher)

Marc Weustink
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> 2009/12/28 Vincent Snijders <[hidden email]>:
>> It is a bug ans should save that file automatically.
>
> And the bug seems to be Windows specific. It works perfectly under
> Linux, by automatically saving in the /tmp directory.

Linux has no manifest :)

Marc

2009/12/31 Marc Weustink <[hidden email]>:

>> And the bug seems to be Windows specific. It works perfectly under
>> Linux, by automatically saving in the /tmp directory.
>
> Linux has no manifest :)

Well I did not know it's the manifest or .rc file causing the problem.
I simply clicked the Run button and saw the project start - even
though I did not save first.