Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

These days, most modern programming languages have its own logo. The logo becomes a "brand", a unique visual identity for the language. It also acts as a "trademark", a recognizable image for the language. It also helps the community to have a single visual identity to distinguish them from other programming communities. I've seen it with many other communities, such as Swift, Python, Kotlin, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't see Pascal language –especially Free Pascal– to have a such logo. Yes, I know the FPC's official site got a running cheetah (a .gif file) named as logo. But, I don't think an animated picture is appropriate to be used as a logo. A logo should be simple, unique, recognizable and "iconizable" image.

So, I propose a new logo for Free Pascal. It's a simple cheetah's head. The proposed logo in various sizes (for icon) can be looked at here: https://pak.lebah.web.id/fpc/ I also attach the logo as a .png file, in case someone can't open my website.

If this proposal is accepted, perhaps it's time to rework the official FPC's website, using the new logo. It's time to make Pascal looks more modern, because it looks pretty old today. I also think the Lazarus' logo can be made better, but that's another discussion for another time.

What do you think?

Thank you.

Regards,

–Mr Bee

pascal_logo_noshadow.png (47K) Download Attachment

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Florian Klämpfl
Am 30.03.2018 um 05:52 schrieb Mr Bee via fpc-pascal:

> Hi,
>
> These days, most modern programming languages have its own logo. The logo becomes a "brand", a
> unique visual identity for the language. It also acts as a "trademark", a recognizable image for the
> language. It also helps the community to have a single visual identity to distinguish them from
> other programming communities. I've seen it with many other communities, such as Swift, Python,
> Kotlin, etc.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't see Pascal language –especially Free Pascal– to have a such logo. Yes, I know
> the FPC's official site got a running cheetah (a .gif file) named as logo. But, I don't think an
> animated picture is appropriate to be used as a logo. A logo should be simple, unique, recognizable
> and "iconizable" image.
>
> So, I propose a new logo for Free Pascal. It's a simple cheetah's head. The proposed logo in various
> sizes (for icon) can be looked at here: https://pak.lebah.web.id/fpc/ I also attach the logo as a
> .png file, in case someone can't open my website.
>
> What do you think?

I like the idea, I would only prefer if the cheetah looks a little bit more friendly :) Mainly by
more almond shaped like eyes and visible iris and pupil, I'll send you a roughly modified version of
your logo which shows the idea in private.

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Michael Van Canneyt

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018, Florian Klämpfl wrote:

> Am 30.03.2018 um 05:52 schrieb Mr Bee via fpc-pascal:
>> Hi,
>>
>> These days, most modern programming languages have its own logo. The logo becomes a "brand", a
>> unique visual identity for the language. It also acts as a "trademark", a recognizable image for the
>> language. It also helps the community to have a single visual identity to distinguish them from
>> other programming communities. I've seen it with many other communities, such as Swift, Python,
>> Kotlin, etc.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't see Pascal language –especially Free Pascal– to have a such logo. Yes, I know
>> the FPC's official site got a running cheetah (a .gif file) named as logo. But, I don't think an
>> animated picture is appropriate to be used as a logo. A logo should be simple, unique, recognizable
>> and "iconizable" image.
>>
>> So, I propose a new logo for Free Pascal. It's a simple cheetah's head. The proposed logo in various
>> sizes (for icon) can be looked at here: https://pak.lebah.web.id/fpc/ I also attach the logo as a
>> .png file, in case someone can't open my website.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I like the idea, I would only prefer if the cheetah looks a little bit more friendly :) Mainly by
> more almond shaped like eyes and visible iris and pupil, I'll send you a roughly modified version of
> your logo which shows the idea in private.
I would get rid of the whiskers.

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Maciej Izak
We have also updated classical logo :

svg version:

> What do you think?

I like the idea, I would only prefer if the cheetah looks a little bit more friendly :) Mainly by
more almond shaped like eyes and visible iris and pupil, I'll send you a roughly modified version of
your logo which shows the idea in private.

Best regards,
Maciej Izak

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Ingemar Ragnemalm

Den 2018-03-30 kl. 05:54, Mr Bee <[hidden email]>wrote:
> Hi,
> These days, most modern programming languages have its own logo. The logo becomes a "brand", a unique visual identity for the language. It also acts as a "trademark", a recognizable image for the language. It also helps the community to have a single visual identity to distinguish them from other programming communities. I've seen it with many other communities, such as Swift, Python, Kotlin, etc.
> Unfortunately, I don't see Pascal language –especially Free Pascal– to have a such logo. Yes, I know the FPC's official site got a running cheetah (a .gif file) named as logo. But, I don't think an animated picture is appropriate to be used as a logo. A logo should be simple, unique, recognizable and "iconizable" image.
> So, I propose a new logo for Free Pascal. It's a simple cheetah's head. The proposed logo in various sizes (for icon) can be looked at here: https://pak.lebah.web.id/fpc/ I also attach the logo as a .png file, in case someone can't open my website.
> If this proposal is accepted, perhaps it's time to rework the official FPC's website, using the new logo. It's time to make Pascal looks more modern, because it looks pretty old today. I also think the Lazarus' logo can be made better, but that's another discussion for another time.
> What do you think?

The logo is very good, and well connected to the tradtion set by the
animated gif. The alternative would be to use a frame of the animation,
or similar sideways cheetah, but scaled up so it can have different
resolutions. But the head is more compact, which speaks in its favor.

I am not sure how bit the *need* is but it doesn't hurt to have an
official still image logo.

/Ingemar

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Ched
My preference goes to the profile (on the animation) than on the tatoo-like face of the cheeta.

Ched'

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

I would get rid of the whiskers.

What's wrong with the whiskers? 😄

–Mr Bee

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

The logo is very good, and well connected to the tradtion set by the animated gif. The alternative would be to use a frame of the animation, or similar sideways cheetah, but scaled up so it can have different resolutions. But the head is more compact, which speaks in its favor.

Thank you.

I am not sure how bit the *need* is but it doesn't hurt to have an official still image logo.

If we want the young generation to know Pascal with a new paradigm, a modern programming language paradigm, I think this branding effort is quite important. There are so many people still think that Pascal today is still the old 70's Pascal. I even found many universities, at least in my country, that still teach Pascal using Turbo Pascal. When I introduced them to new and modern Pascal, the FPC/Lazarus (or Delphi), they were amazed at how modern Pascal is!

–Mr Bee

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018, Mr Bee via fpc-pascal wrote:

>> I would get rid of the whiskers.
>>

> What's wrong with the whiskers? 😄

IMHO It makes the cheetah look more like a kitten.

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

vojtech.cihak

cheetahs have usually more rounded head and rounded ears. And whiskers should be curved.

http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/cheetah-populations-keep-falling-scientists-demand-better-protection#stream/0

Just my 50 cents.

V.

> Od: Mr Bee via fpc-pascal <[hidden email]>
> Komu: FPC-Pascal Users Discussions <[hidden email]>
> Datum: 30.03.2018 05:52
> Předmět: [fpc-pascal] Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Hi,

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018, Vojtěch Čihák wrote:

> Hi,
>
> cheetahs have usually more rounded head and rounded ears. And whiskers should
> be curved.
> http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/cheetah-populations-keep-falling-scientists-demand-better-protection#stream/0
> Just my 50 cents.

And as you can see, the whiskers are barely visible, and not black...

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Alexander Grotewohl

I can't help but feel like they'd still just download regular fpc and use it at the console with the help of a minimal syntax highlighting editor. Don't get me wrong, that's exactly how I like to use fpc, but I already know lazarus is awesome for all the bells and whistles.

The problem with the types of classes that use pascal for teaching is the same as the ones that use BASIC: They just want to teach you looping and using variables and stuff. The absolute basics. In these instances it doesn't matter how cool the language is if you're not an experienced enough programmer to use it. Perhaps a decent target would be a database course, where Lazarus has a better chance to shine, and the users actually have a chance to see what's in the RTL/LCL/etc.

As an aside, I don't think the pascal community is that small, it's just spread out. There are a lot of other implementations people cling to (myself included).

Alex

On 2018-03-31 14:48, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> IMHO It makes the cheetah look more like a kitten.

That was my first thought too - the logo looks too kitten like.

Else maybe try and make the wiskers about a 1/3 of the line width to see
if that reduces the "kitten" look.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Paul Nance
I couldn't agree more.

I still program in (what everyone now calls console) pascal. While working on a large project, will even go into virtual machine to use the Borland Pascal 7 IDE, which works a little better than the FPC IDE.

Of course, having started pascal with Borland's Pascal for CPM almost 40 years ago, one might call me an luddite of a fashion.

I have written a few small windows type apps, but still prefer console. More of the programming is for function instead of display.

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018, 3:29 AM Alexander Grotewohl <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Zaaphod

>I have written a few small windows type apps, but still prefer console. More of the programming is for function instead of display.

I also prefer ‘console’  but I prefer it for heavy graphical UI applications as well as functional types of programming.    I cannot stand programs the try to conform to using generic windows UI elements when it is not appropriate to the application.   I design my own UI using ptcgraph in conjunction with aggpas and generate all the graphics myself… and this gives me an added bonus, I still have the console window as well, as the ptcgraph window so I can output my GUI to the ptcgraph window and generate some reports or logs and such to the console window.   My point to all the being, console programs are still very valid and have their uses.  I just wish there was effort was being put into further development of the text based IDE, which is what I use to compile and debug all my programs, but I use notepad++ for most of the my editing.

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

The proposed logo is updated.

What's new:
- it has eye balls.
- more rounded face.
- more rounded ears.
- more visible whiskers.

Cheetah is a member of cat big family. So, of course it will look like a cat or kitten. Nothing I can do about it.

Are there more suggestions? Thank you.

pascal_logo.png (54K) Download Attachment

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018, Mr Bee via fpc-pascal wrote:

> The proposed logo is updated.
>
> What's new:
> - it has eye balls.
> - more rounded face.
> - more rounded ears.
> - more visible whiskers.
>
> Cheetah is a member of cat big family. So, of course it will look like a
> cat or kitten. Nothing I can do about it.
Please look at the lazarus logo/icon. It has no whiskers.
It looks much more like a cheetah, not like a kitten.
So you can do something about it: remove the whiskers.

As an exercise I have done the job for you. See attached picture.
It's of course better to improve the original, I am not an artist.
(I even would get rid of more elements, but let's start with this)

If we're talking branding anyway (a subject I loathe), then
a logo should represent the company/product group, whatever.

So, the FPC logo should exhale maturity, strength, prowess,
self-confidence.

Hardly things one associates with a kitten.

FPC is an open-source project dating back to the days the word
"open source" did not exist. So maturity is important.

Using marketing/branding talk:
Given that I think your version looks like a kitten, you will
understand that for the reasons explained above, I would not
want to be "associated" with the logo as you proposed it now.

pascal_logo2.png (58K) Download Attachment

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Bart-48
On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 3:34 AM, Mr Bee via fpc-pascal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The proposed logo is updated.

I think it's a nice logo.

Bart

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018, Mr Bee via fpc-pascal wrote:

> The proposed logo is updated.
>
> What's new:
> - it has eye balls.
> - more rounded face.
> - more rounded ears.
> - more visible whiskers.
>
> Cheetah is a member of cat big family. So, of course it will look like a
> cat or kitten. Nothing I can do about it.
>
> Are there more suggestions? Thank you.

Please look at the lazarus logo/icon. It has no whiskers.
It looks much more like a cheetah, not like a kitten.
So you can do something about it: remove the whiskers.

As an exercise I have done the job for you. See here:

http://www.freepascal.org/~michael/pascal_logo2.png

It's of course better to improve the original, I am not an artist.
(I even would get rid of more elements, but let's start with this)

If we're talking branding anyway (a subject I loathe),
then a logo should represent the company/product group, whatever.

So, the FPC logo should exhale maturity, strength, prowess, self-confidence.

Hardly things one associates with a kitten.

FPC is an open-source project dating back to the days the word "open source"
did not exist. So maturity is important.

Using marketing/branding talk:
Given that I think your version looks like a kitten,
you will understand that for the reasons explained above,
I would not want to be "associated" with the logo as you proposed it now.

Re: Proposal for new Free Pascal logo

Please look at the lazarus logo/icon. It has no whiskers.

I opened lazarus.freepascal.org and I found it's using a paw as its logo. Did I miss something? Sorry… I haven't been following Lazarus news for quite a while, so I don't know the current logo.

It looks much more like a cheetah, not like a kitten.
So you can do something about it: remove the whiskers.

But cheetah do have whiskers. Other people complained the old logo weren't really look like a cheetah's face.

As an exercise I have done the job for you. See here:
http://www.freepascal.org/~michael/pascal_logo2.png

Perhaps I should make the whiskers a bit less visible? Thinner perhaps?

It's of course better to improve the original, I am not an artist.
(I even would get rid of more elements, but let's start with this)

I'm not a professional artist either, but I love art and I do drawings for a hobby.

If we're talking branding anyway (a subject I loathe), then a logo should represent the company/product group, whatever.
So, the FPC logo should exhale maturity, strength, prowess, self-confidence.

Modern logo doesn't necessarily have to represent the WHOLE values of a company/product, because a company/product should be dynamic that could/should change over time. So is the logo. Take a look at most modern logo of big companies today, i.e. Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc. For example, I can't see any of Apple's values (both the company and the products) got represented on a bitten gray apple fruit. It looks dull, at least to me. But the Apple brand image is so powerful and what people think about Apple is far from dull. Or… what values can we see from a G shaped with four bright colors of Google's logo? It looks like a letter toy. Or Linux logo, Swift logo, Kotlin logo, etc.

Hardly things one associates with a kitten.

I don't think it looks like a kitten, especially the updated one. But of course it looks like a cat, because cheetah is a cat.

FPC is an open-source project dating back to the days the word "open source" did not exist. So maturity is important.

How do we put "maturity" onto a cheetah's face? Cheetah is known as the fastest animal on land. That's what the most recognizable value of a cheetah logo. And that's what people should think about (Free) Pascal: it's FAST. By making the logo looks more modern, it also brings modernity value. So, the new logo should represent something that's fast and modern. And cheetah is also cute as a mascot. And cuteness is attracting young people. :)

Using marketing/branding talk:
Given that I think your version looks like a kitten, you will understand that for the reasons explained above, I would not want to be "associated" with the logo as you proposed it now.

I understand. But I'm not fully agree with you either. The main reason I'm proposing new logo for Free Pascal –or even Pascal language in general– is I want to bring Pascal to the young people. I want these kids know that Pascal today is as modern, fast, and dynamic as other well-known programming languages. I hate it when I told them I'm writing a software using Pascal and they look at me like I'm a dinosaur. Some of them even asking me, "how do you make a web app using Turbo Pascal?" :D

In fact, I'm currently designing of another Pascal logo that's more abstract, simpler, friendlier, and more colorful. It's still based on cheetah's face though. I'll present it as second alternative, once I'm done with it. :)

–Mr Bee