Progress Bar in different widget sets

GTK's progress bar has a feature where the progress bar moves left and
right repeatedly, instead of the normal from Min to Max.

What do you call that feature and what do you actually use it for?
I know I have seen in used in Mozilla Thunderbird as well, but
couldn't remember where.

I just implemented a basic TProgressBar widget for fpGUI and wanted to
know if that Gtk progress bar feature (running left and right
repeatedly) is something people actually use in applications and worth
the time implementing in fpGUI.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: Progress Bar in different widget sets

Micha Nelissen
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> GTK's progress bar has a feature where the progress bar moves left and
> right repeatedly, instead of the normal from Min to Max.
>
> What do you call that feature and what do you actually use it for?

It's used when the Max isn't known.

Micha

Re: Progress Bar in different widget sets

Michalis Kamburelis
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> GTK's progress bar has a feature where the progress bar moves left and
> right repeatedly, instead of the normal from Min to Max.
>
> What do you call that feature and what do you actually use it for?
> I know I have seen in used in Mozilla Thunderbird as well, but
> couldn't remember where.

See GNOME HIG:
[http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/controls-progress-bars.html],
at the bottom: "Indeterminate-progress indicator".

"
An animated bar indicating only that an operation is ongoing, not how
long it will take.
"

Michalis

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> GTK's progress bar has a feature where the progress bar moves left and
> right repeatedly, instead of the normal from Min to Max.
>
> What do you call that feature and what do you actually use it for?

Well, you can construct black talking cars with it, like the KIT2000 ;-)
Saw that on TV once, long ago ;-)

Compiling problems

Christian Ulrich

I have compiled an fpc with revision 5198 bevore 5 minutes for i386-win32
and arm-wince
compiles great. (Actual revisions dont compile)

When i try to rebuild Lazarus or just the lcl for Wince it says:

PPU Loading D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\units\i386-win32\fcl\zstream.ppu
Recompiling zstream, checksum changed for paszlib
PPU Loading D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\units\i386-win32\fcl\zstream.ppu
Fatal: Can't find unit zstream
Fatal: Compilation aborted

but how can it be for an clean compiled fpc ?!
i have deleted all old files.

regards
Christian

On 03/11/06, Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, you can construct black talking cars with it, like the KIT2000 ;-)
> Saw that on TV once, long ago ;-)
>
> Michael.

I didn't want to mention that, even though it was the first thing on
my mind!  :-)

Graeme.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: Progress Bar in different widget sets

Marc PERTRON
Graeme Geldenhuys a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> GTK's progress bar has a feature where the progress bar moves left and
> right repeatedly, instead of the normal from Min to Max.
>
> What do you call that feature and what do you actually use it for?
> I know I have seen in used in Mozilla Thunderbird as well, but
> couldn't remember where.
>
> I just implemented a basic TProgressBar widget for fpGUI and wanted to
> know if that Gtk progress bar feature (running left and right
> repeatedly) is something people actually use in applications and worth
> the time implementing in fpGUI.
It's used when you don't know the time a thing will last (for example,
some downloads in FF, or Windows XP boot)
Not sure it's very useful, most of the time i prefer adding a "Kb
Downloaded" or things like that to show people that the program is working.
My 2 cents ;o)
--
Marc

Re: Progress Bar in different widget sets

Thanks Michallis and Micha.  I finally understand the KIT2000 feature.

Graeme.

On 03/11/06, Marc PERTRON <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's used when you don't know the time a thing will last (for example,
> some downloads in FF, or Windows XP boot)
> Not sure it's very useful, most of the time i prefer adding a "Kb
> Downloaded" or things like that to show people that the program is working.
> My 2 cents ;o)

I tend to agree with you.  There are many other ways to display that
the program is still working.  I will add it to the fpGUI wishlist,
but there is more important things to complete first.

Graeme.

Re: Progress Bar in different widget sets

Alexander Todorov
On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 00:43:13 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> I just implemented a basic TProgressBar widget for fpGUI and wanted to
> know if that Gtk progress bar feature (running left and right
> repeatedly) is something people actually use in applications and worth
> the time implementing in fpGUI.

There is such feature in Qt progress bar also.
I have used it in a Qt app, and wrote something simillar for a Delphi
app. I think this is a nice to have although not very used feature.

Re: Compiling problems

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On 11/3/06, Christian Ulrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When i try to rebuild Lazarus or just the lcl for Wince it says:

> but how can it be for an clean compiled fpc ?!

I think you forgot to compile FCL too. You only compiled the compiler and RTL.

Instructions here:

http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/WinCE_port#Building_FPC_libraries

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Compiling problems

Christian Ulrich
> I think you forgot to compile FCL too. You only compiled the compiler and
> RTL.
>
> Instructions here:
>
> http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/WinCE_port#Building_FPC_libraries

NO !

please read:
PPU Loading D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\units\i386-win32\fcl\zstream.ppu
Recompiling zstream, checksum changed for paszlib
PPU Loading D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\units\i386-win32\fcl\zstream.ppu
Fatal: Can't find unit zstream
Fatal: Compilation aborted

if zstream.ppu dont exists the error message should look a little bit
diffrent or not ?!

have made :
make clean rtl compiler fcl packages utils rtl_install compiler_install
fcl_install packages_install utils_install

everythibg builds and install great

then i go to the lazarus dir and call
make

and breaks with this errormessage

Christian

> --
> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Compiling problems

Jonas Maebe-2

On 03 Nov 2006, at 13:15, Christian Ulrich wrote:

> please read:
> PPU Loading D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\units\i386-win32\fcl
> \zstream.ppu
> Recompiling zstream, checksum changed for paszlib
> PPU Loading D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\units\i386-win32\fcl
> \zstream.ppu
> Fatal: Can't find unit zstream
> Fatal: Compilation aborted
>
> if zstream.ppu dont exists the error message should look a little
> bit diffrent or not ?!

The error message looks like that if the zstream.ppu file is outdated
(because then the zstream.ppu file is ignored).

> have made :
> make clean rtl compiler fcl packages utils rtl_install
> compiler_install fcl_install packages_install utils_install
>
> everythibg builds and install great

But did it install into D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\ ?

> then i go to the lazarus dir and call
> make

And does this invocation of "make" use the newly compiled compiler?

Re: Compiling problems

Marius-8
Thats is not the real problem. Its a bug somewhere in the makefile (look
at the .o files, one of them it isn't copied, don't know which one
anymore). Thats why compilation fails later. If you manually copy the
rtl/units, fcl/units and install the packages wince works..

Christian Ulrich wrote:

>> I think you forgot to compile FCL too. You only compiled the compiler
>> and RTL.
>>
>> Instructions here:
>>
>> http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/WinCE_port#Building_FPC_libraries
>>

> NO !
>
> please read:
> PPU Loading D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\units\i386-win32\fcl\zstream.ppu
> Recompiling zstream, checksum changed for paszlib
> PPU Loading D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\units\i386-win32\fcl\zstream.ppu
> Fatal: Can't find unit zstream
> Fatal: Compilation aborted
>
> if zstream.ppu dont exists the error message should look a little bit
> diffrent or not ?!
>
> have made :
> make clean rtl compiler fcl packages utils rtl_install compiler_install
> fcl_install packages_install utils_install
>
> everythibg builds and install great
>
> then i go to the lazarus dir and call
> make
>
> and breaks with this errormessage
>
> Christian
>

>> --
>> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Compiling problems

Christian Ulrich
> But did it install into D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\ ?

YES of course have deleted the old stuff except the bintools and copied
everything from d:\pp to d:\programme\lazarus\fpc

> And does this invocation of "make" use the newly compiled compiler?

My Path is set to %PATH%;d:\programme\lazarus\fpc\bin\i386-win32
When it woud be so easy i woudnt write to this list but i think its an fpc
issue.

Christian

Re: Compiling problems

Jonas Maebe-2

On 03 Nov 2006, at 17:13, Christian Ulrich wrote:

> My Path is set to %PATH%;d:\programme\lazarus\fpc\bin\i386-win32
> When it woud be so easy i woudnt write to this list

Sorry for trying to help...

Re: Compiling problems

Christian Ulrich
> Thats is not the real problem. Its a bug somewhere in the makefile (look
> at the .o files, one of them it isn't copied, don't know which one
> anymore). Thats why compilation fails later. If you manually copy the
> rtl/units, fcl/units and install the packages wince works..

Thats not for wince thats for WIN32 so maybe someone schould take a look at
the makefiles or not ?!
But as i see zstream.ppu and .o and also paszlib.ppu and .o are there

> Christian Ulrich wrote:
> >> I think you forgot to compile FCL too. You only compiled the compiler
> >> and RTL.
> >>
> >> Instructions here:

http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/WinCE_port#Building_FPC_libraries

> > NO !
> >
> > please read:
> > PPU Loading
D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\units\i386-win32\fcl\zstream.ppu
> > Recompiling zstream, checksum changed for paszlib
> > PPU Loading
D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\units\i386-win32\fcl\zstream.ppu

> > Fatal: Can't find unit zstream
> > Fatal: Compilation aborted
> >
> > if zstream.ppu dont exists the error message should look a little bit
> > diffrent or not ?!
> >
> > have made :
> > make clean rtl compiler fcl packages utils rtl_install compiler_install
> > fcl_install packages_install utils_install
> >
> > everythibg builds and install great
> >
> > then i go to the lazarus dir and call
> > make
> >
> > and breaks with this errormessage
> >
> > Christian
> >

> >> --
> >> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Compiling problems

Florian Klaempfl
Christian Ulrich schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I have compiled an fpc with revision 5198 bevore 5 minutes for
> i386-win32 and arm-wince
> compiles great. (Actual revisions dont compile)

There is heavy work ongoing so don't depend on working with trunk currently.

Re: Compiling problems

Christian Ulrich
> Thats is not the real problem. Its a bug somewhere in the makefile (look
> at the .o files, one of them it isn't copied, don't know which one
> anymore). Thats why compilation fails later. If you manually copy the
> rtl/units, fcl/units and install the packages wince works..

Havend copied all units from source\fcl\units to units\fcl
and from source\packages\base\paszlib to units\paszlib

the same problem. can nobody confirm this ?

> Christian Ulrich wrote:
> >> I think you forgot to compile FCL too. You only compiled the compiler
> >> and RTL.
> >>
> >> Instructions here:

http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/WinCE_port#Building_FPC_libraries

> > NO !
> >
> > please read:
> > PPU Loading
D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\units\i386-win32\fcl\zstream.ppu
> > Recompiling zstream, checksum changed for paszlib
> > PPU Loading
D:\Programme\lazarus\fpc\2.1.1\units\i386-win32\fcl\zstream.ppu

> > Fatal: Can't find unit zstream
> > Fatal: Compilation aborted
> >
> > if zstream.ppu dont exists the error message should look a little bit
> > diffrent or not ?!
> >
> > have made :
> > make clean rtl compiler fcl packages utils rtl_install compiler_install
> > fcl_install packages_install utils_install
> >
> > everythibg builds and install great
> >
> > then i go to the lazarus dir and call
> > make
> >
> > and breaks with this errormessage
> >
> > Christian
> >

> >> --
> >> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Compiling problems

Christian Ulrich
yes but there are some lovely stuff on the trunk ;)
like working debug symbols with the internal linker and so on