Posting to the list via GMAIL

Bo Berglund
I have successfully contacted the maintainer of the GMANE news server
in order to fix a problem with the Lazarus mail list mirror at
gmane.comp.ide.lazarus.general

When posting via the news server the posts did not appear in the mail
list and therefore not on the news server either.
Turned out that this was caused by a misconfigured list email address
on GMANE. Now fixed and posting works.

Unfortunately there is a similar problem for this mail list, which is
also mirrored at GMANE as
gmane.comp.compilers.free-pascal.general

I asked that this group also be made working for posting via the news
server, but in this case Lars' reply was:

>> This group is also backed by a mailing list and in this case the mail
>> list email address on GMANE seems to be OK.
>> But for some reason the group is ReadOnly!
>
>If the list admin requests that it be made bidirectional, we'll change
>that.

Since I have no idea who the list admin is I post here in the hope that
he/she may see my request to contact Lars and request that the news
group is made postable, but only by authenticated list members like
the Lazarus list works.

Lars email is:

[hidden email]

Please consider acting on this because it would make for a much better
information store to interact with via news rather than email.

Best wishes,
Bo Berglund

Re: Posting to the list via GMAIL

Jonas Maebe-2

On 30 Sep 2010, at 20:50, Bo Berglund wrote:

> I asked that this group also be made working for posting via the news
> server, but in this case Lars' reply was:
>
>>> This group is also backed by a mailing list and in this case the mail
>>> list email address on GMANE seems to be OK.
>>> But for some reason the group is ReadOnly!
>>
>> If the list admin requests that it be made bidirectional, we'll change
>> that.
>
> Since I have no idea who the list admin is I post here in the hope that
> he/she may see my request to contact Lars and request that the news
> group is made postable

Done.

Re: Posting to the list via GMAIL

Bo Berglund

>On 30 Sep 2010, at 20:50, Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> I asked that this group also be made working for posting via the news
>> server, but in this case Lars' reply was:

>>> If the list admin requests that it be made bidirectional, we'll change
>>> that.
>>
>> Since I have no idea who the list admin is I post here in the hope that
>> he/she may see my request to contact Lars and request that the news
>> group is made postable
>
>Done.
>

>Jonas

I tried this by replying to your message via GMANE, but I received the
following message from the newsserver in Agent:

Sorry!    An online error occurred.

When:     Posting usenet message "Re: Posting to the list via GMAIL".

Reason:   Error reported by server: 441
          gmane.comp.compilers.free-pascal.general is read-only.

So it seems like the GMANE maintainers have either not understood or not
reconfigured this NG with the new setting.

I have now tried to create a new message as a reply to the message in the
NG, but sending via Gmail....

On 09 Oct 2010, at 20:47, Bo Berglund wrote:

On 30 Sep 2010, at 20:50, Bo Berglund wrote:

Since I have no idea who the list admin is I post here in the hope that
he/she may see my request to contact Lars and request that the news
group is made postable

Done.

I tried this by replying to your message via GMANE, but I received the
following message from the newsserver in Agent:

[snip]
So it seems like the GMANE maintainers have either not understood or not
reconfigured this NG with the new setting.

I sent the request to GMANE only a few minutes before I posted the above to the mailing list, so it's quite likely that they have not yet had the chance to change anything.

Re: Posting to the list via GMAIL

Vincent Snijders-3
2010/10/9 Bo Berglund <[hidden email]>:
> So it seems like the GMANE maintainers have either not understood or not
> reconfigured this NG with the new setting.

I suggest you keep an eye on
http://gmane.org/info.php?group=gmane.comp.compilers.free-pascal.general

The list is still marked read-only. In the gmane FAQ it is said that
the response time is between some minutes and two weeks, so if after
two weeks, the list is still read-only, feel free to send them a
reminder, with a link to this thread.

Vincent

On 09 Oct 2010, at 20:54, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 09 Oct 2010, at 20:47, Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> So it seems like the GMANE maintainers have either not understood or not
>> reconfigured this NG with the new setting.
>
> I sent the request to GMANE only a few minutes before I posted the above to the mailing list, so it's quite likely that they have not yet had the chance to change anything.

I've just received confirmation from the GMANE admin that they've made the gateway read-write now.

Re: Posting to the list via GMAIL

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
Op 2010-10-14 00:47, Jonas Maebe het geskryf:

> I've just received confirmation from the GMANE admin that they've made the gateway read-write now.

Awesome, thanks Jonas.

http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/fpgui/

Re: Posting to the list via GMAIL

Bo Berglund
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 00:47:00 +0200, Jonas Maebe
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 09 Oct 2010, at 20:54, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>

>> I sent the request to GMANE only a few minutes before I posted the above to the mailing list, so it's quite likely that they have not yet had the chance to change anything.
>
>I've just received confirmation from the GMANE admin that they've made the gateway read-write now.

Really great! Thanks!
(this is posted via the Gmane News server)

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden