PostgreSQL 8.4 Ubuntu 10.10 x64

Andrew Brunner
I've got a problem with the PostgreSQL component.  I've got an insert
statement with int64 values.  The prepare command goes through but the
server denies the entire packet with the string value of the int64 is
too large for integer type error.

The fields were all declared as bigint and the parameter binding
happened as LargeInt.  This worked on MySQL but I'm sure everything is
working on my end.  Anyone have problems with using Int64 types and
insert?

Report as bug?

Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 Ubuntu 10.10 x64

Martin Schreiber-2
Andrew Brunner wrote:

> I've got a problem with the PostgreSQL component.  I've got an insert
> statement with int64 values.  The prepare command goes through but the
> server denies the entire packet with the string value of the int64 is
> too large for integer type error.
>
> The fields were all declared as bigint and the parameter binding
> happened as LargeInt.  This worked on MySQL but I'm sure everything is
> working on my end.  Anyone have problems with using Int64 types and
> insert?

The problem is in TypeStrings, ftLargeInt should return 'bigint' instead
of 'int'. Fixed in MSEide+MSEgui trunk 4028.
http://developer.berlios.de/svn/?group_id=11520

Interresting, MSEgui is used in production since years with PostgreSQL,
Firebird, MySQL and Sqlite3, nobody ever reported the bug...

Martin

Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 Ubuntu 10.10 x64

Michael Van Canneyt

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> Andrew Brunner wrote:
>
>> I've got a problem with the PostgreSQL component.  I've got an insert
>> statement with int64 values.  The prepare command goes through but the
>> server denies the entire packet with the string value of the int64 is
>> too large for integer type error.
>>
>> The fields were all declared as bigint and the parameter binding
>> happened as LargeInt.  This worked on MySQL but I'm sure everything is
>> working on my end.  Anyone have problems with using Int64 types and
>> insert?
>>
> The problem is in TypeStrings, ftLargeInt should return 'bigint' instead
> of 'int'. Fixed in MSEide+MSEgui trunk 4028.
> http://developer.berlios.de/svn/?group_id=11520
>
> Interresting, MSEgui is used in production since years with PostgreSQL,
> Firebird, MySQL and Sqlite3, nobody ever reported the bug...

This is not so surprising. Often I meet databases which go against
everything I hold for 'unshakable' truths. Use cases differ wildly.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, fixed in FPC SVN rev. 16197.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 Ubuntu 10.10 x64

Jonas Maebe-2

Is that a fix for http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=17683 ?

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 22 Oct 2010, at 11:21, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Martin Schreiber wrote:
>>
>>> Andrew Brunner wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem is in TypeStrings, ftLargeInt should return 'bigint' instead
>>> of 'int'. Fixed in MSEide+MSEgui trunk 4028.
>>> http://developer.berlios.de/svn/?group_id=11520
>>>
>>> Interresting, MSEgui is used in production since years with PostgreSQL,
>>> Firebird, MySQL and Sqlite3, nobody ever reported the bug...
>>
>> This is not so surprising. Often I meet databases which go against
>> everything I hold for 'unshakable' truths. Use cases differ wildly.
>>
>> Anyway, thanks for the tip, fixed in FPC SVN rev. 16197.
>
> Is that a fix for http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=17683 ?

You found it faster than I did :-) I already set it to fixed.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 2:44 AM, Martin Schreiber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The problem is in TypeStrings, ftLargeInt should return 'bigint' instead
> of 'int'. Fixed in MSEide+MSEgui trunk 4028.
> http://developer.berlios.de/svn/?group_id=11520

Thanks Martin!

> Interresting, MSEgui is used in production since years with PostgreSQL,
> Firebird, MySQL and Sqlite3, nobody ever reported the bug...

Well the only way to reveal the flaw was to exceed integer range, for
most smaller that would be improbable.  The project I have here uses
large indexes and many identifiers.