Object Pascal operating system

Crause, Christo (JC)
Some proof of the concept: ClassiOS
(http://www.petros-project.com/index.php/products/classios.html) was
written in Delphi. Not an open source project, but it shows it can be
done.

Christo

NOTICE: Please note that this eMail, and the contents thereof,
is subject to the standard Sasol eMail legal notice which may be found at:
http://www.sasol.com/legalnotices

If you cannot access the legal notice through the URL attached and you wish
to receive a copy thereof please send an eMail to

Re: Object Pascal operating system

Marc Santhoff
Am Montag, den 08.12.2008, 08:19 +0200 schrieb Crause, Christo (JC):
> Some proof of the concept: ClassiOS
> (http://www.petros-project.com/index.php/products/classios.html) was
> written in Delphi.

Thanks for pointing this out, I didn't know that one yet.

> Not an open source project, but it shows it can be
> done.

Sure it can - but is it worth time?

One possibility beeing worth the effort might be some sort of "micro OS"
for use on embedded computers with ARM or AVR cpu. This would require
writing a small RTL but the overall work is a lot smaller than writing a
full OS.

But if one needs a TCP stack or display driver or sth. like that the
point has come where linking in foreign code starts and the purity of
object pascal is gone.

Marc

Re: Object Pascal operating system

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Not an open source project, but it shows it can be
>> done.
>
> Sure it can - but is it worth time?

Exactly.  Other that a "cool" or "wow" factor. :-)

I'd say if whoever has enough drive to try something like this, simply
start by implementing the kernel. Something relatively simple so that
your PC can boot using a Object Pascal written kernel. No matter if
there is no user interaction, shell or user level programs. Just show
that you CAN write a bootable kernel in Object Pascal would already
achieve the "wow" factor.

Re: Object Pascal operating system

Skybuck Flying
> I'd say if whoever has enough drive to try something like this, simply
> start by implementing the kernel. Something relatively simple so that
> your PC can boot using a Object Pascal written kernel. No matter if
> there is no user interaction, shell or user level programs. Just show
> that you CAN write a bootable kernel in Object Pascal would already
> achieve the "wow" factor.

I have a question about this, relating to what the free pascal compiler can
actually do ?

Does free pascal compiler actually implement and support the entire x86
instruction set/registers ?

Since "application space" is different from "kernel space".

For example:

asm
    // full instruction set support possible ?

end;

Bye,
  Skybuck.

Re: Object Pascal operating system

princeriley
I think others to this list may have seen my prior post on how this 'challenge' of writing a OS kernel in Object Pascal could be met using the Unix/Linux history as a guide.

It probably wouldn't be worth the additional effort needed to write the entire kernel in Object Pascal in much the same way the neither the Unix or Linux kernels were written entirely in C.

What would be interesting in a OP/Kernel would be how the a modern microkernel design could implemented in Object Pascal and the programming techniques used
to follow the current OS system paradigms (including  data structures).

I'd be interested in how the OP system made the trade-offs in terms of performance versus size (code/data), how portable it could be (to other processor architectures) and then a comparison of it speed for various tasks.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 6:16 AM, Skybuck Flying <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

leledumbo
Administrator
> Does free pascal compiler actually implement and support the entire x86 instruction set/registers ?

I'm not sure, but so far all instructions I use in my OS using inline assemblers are available.

I'd be more interested in implementing something new (and useful) using OP features. Something like what A2 (formerly Bluebottle) OS do using Active Oberon:
- Kernel level garbage collector
- It's FAST (a good prove that object orientation and garbage collection don't have to result in a slow system like most Java-based OSes)
- Portable (can run on other OSes as application)

That's why I start making one. I hope I can implement something like (or better than) that.

Re: Object Pascal operating system

Florian Klämpfl
Skybuck Flying schrieb:

> Does free pascal compiler actually implement and support the entire x86
> instruction set/registers ?
>
> Since "application space" is different from "kernel space".
>
> For example:
>
> asm
>    // full instruction set support possible ?
>
> end;

It is supposed to support it and since the FPC assembler tables are
derived from the nasm ones, I guess they are rather complete.