OT a bit - Planet Object Pascal

ik-6
Hello,

I'ved created an RSS aggregation site for Object Pascal related blogs:
http://planet.objpas.org/

This is a test run, and the look and feel will be changed in the feature.
If you have a blog or can provide RSS for FPC/Lazarus news please send
me an email with the feed details and I'll add you.

Ido

Re: OT a bit - Planet Object Pascal

vfclists .
On 13 February 2013 11:34, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'ved created an RSS aggregation site for Object Pascal related blogs:
> http://planet.objpas.org/
>
> This is a test run, and the look and feel will be changed in the feature.
> If you have a blog or can provide RSS for FPC/Lazarus news please send
> me an email with the feed details and I'll add you.
>
> Ido

I tried something like this before and I was suprised at the dearth of
Lazarus and FreePascal bloggers. Getting Lazarus and FPC developers,
(let alone users) to blog about their experiences is like pulling
teeth.I think a law should be passed requiring FPC users to blog about
their usage and experiences at least twice a year.

I just visited and it was the same South American bloggers like Silvio
Clecio, Leonardo Rame. You do get a number of Delphi developers
though.
 I am hoping my attempt was premature. The Lazarus forum should have a
bold banner saying reading "What FPC or Lazarus feature have you
blogged about this year?" Making it this month or this quarter may
just be too much.

--
Frank Church

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13 February <a href="tel:2013" value="+9722013">2013 11:34, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'ved created an RSS aggregation site for Object Pascal related blogs:
> http://planet.objpas.org/
>
> This is a test run, and the look and feel will be changed in the feature.
> If you have a blog or can provide RSS for FPC/Lazarus news please send
> me an email with the feed details and I'll add you.
>
> Ido

I tried something like this before and I was suprised at the dearth of
Lazarus and FreePascal bloggers. Getting Lazarus and FPC developers,
(let alone users) to blog about their experiences is like pulling
teeth.I think a law should be passed requiring FPC users to blog about
their usage and experiences at least twice a year.

I just visited and it was the same South American bloggers like Silvio
Clecio, Leonardo Rame. You do get a number of Delphi developers
though.
 I am hoping my attempt was premature. The Lazarus forum should have a
bold banner saying reading "What FPC or Lazarus feature have you
blogged about this year?" Making it this month or this quarter may
just be too much.

You have also my blog (mostly in Hebrew, to keep Pascal in the conversation, and provide local information).
Yes, with FPC/Lazarus most does not keep blogs, I created some interviews once with FPC developers, and Florian
asked me "what do you prefer, someone who develop the compiler or someone who talk" :)

--
Frank Church

Re: OT a bit - Planet Object Pascal

Michael Van Canneyt

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013, ik wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Frank Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       On 13 February 2013 11:34, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       > Hello,
>       >
>       > I'ved created an RSS aggregation site for Object Pascal related blogs:
>       > http://planet.objpas.org/
>       >
>       > This is a test run, and the look and feel will be changed in the feature.
>       > If you have a blog or can provide RSS for FPC/Lazarus news please send
>       > me an email with the feed details and I'll add you.
>       >
>       > Ido
>
> I tried something like this before and I was suprised at the dearth of
> Lazarus and FreePascal bloggers. Getting Lazarus and FPC developers,
> (let alone users) to blog about their experiences is like pulling
> teeth.I think a law should be passed requiring FPC users to blog about
> their usage and experiences at least twice a year.
Maybe not everyone is so enthousiast about blogs as you ?

I agree with Florian; I prefer to work on FPC.

Re: OT a bit - Planet Object Pascal

geneb
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

>> I tried something like this before and I was suprised at the dearth of
>> Lazarus and FreePascal bloggers. Getting Lazarus and FPC developers,
>> (let alone users) to blog about their experiences is like pulling
>> teeth.I think a law should be passed requiring FPC users to blog about
>> their usage and experiences at least twice a year.
>
> Maybe not everyone is so enthousiast about blogs as you ?
>
> I agree with Florian; I prefer to work on FPC.

While I can certainly understand your point of view, the more people that
are talking about FPC and Lazarus, the more people that will become
exposed to it.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

http://www.scarletdme.org - Get it _today_!

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013, geneb wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
>>> I tried something like this before and I was suprised at the dearth of
>>> Lazarus and FreePascal bloggers. Getting Lazarus and FPC developers,
>>> (let alone users) to blog about their experiences is like pulling
>>> teeth.I think a law should be passed requiring FPC users to blog about
>>> their usage and experiences at least twice a year.
>>
>> Maybe not everyone is so enthousiast about blogs as you ?
>>
>> I agree with Florian; I prefer to work on FPC.
>
> While I can certainly understand your point of view, the more people that are
> talking about FPC and Lazarus, the more people that will become exposed to
> it.

True. But I think Florian (or my) time is better spent on actaul coding.
Let people that like blogs do the blogging.

They're almost certainly going to be better at it.

Re: OT a bit - Planet Object Pascal

Florian Klaempfl
Am 16.02.2013 20:45, schrieb geneb:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
>>> I tried something like this before and I was suprised at the dearth of
>>> Lazarus and FreePascal bloggers. Getting Lazarus and FPC developers,
>>> (let alone users) to blog about their experiences is like pulling
>>> teeth.I think a law should be passed requiring FPC users to blog about
>>> their usage and experiences at least twice a year.
>>
>> Maybe not everyone is so enthousiast about blogs as you ?
>>
>> I agree with Florian; I prefer to work on FPC.
>
> While I can certainly understand your point of view, the more people
> that are talking about FPC and Lazarus, the more people that will become
> exposed to it.

Isn't the svn rss feed not the best opportunity to talk about
fpc/lazarus :)?

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Florian Klämpfl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 16.02.2013 20:45, schrieb geneb:
> On Sat, 16 Feb <a href="tel:2013" value="+9722013">2013, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
>>> I tried something like this before and I was suprised at the dearth of
>>> Lazarus and FreePascal bloggers. Getting Lazarus and FPC developers,
>>> (let alone users) to blog about their experiences is like pulling
>>> teeth.I think a law should be passed requiring FPC users to blog about
>>> their usage and experiences at least twice a year.
>>
>> Maybe not everyone is so enthousiast about blogs as you ?
>>
>> I agree with Florian; I prefer to work on FPC.
>
> While I can certainly understand your point of view, the more people
> that are talking about FPC and Lazarus, the more people that will become
> exposed to it.

Isn't the svn rss feed not the best opportunity to talk about
fpc/lazarus :)?

When I hear stuff like "sure pascal is cool but lack of good string support", I think that it is more self explanatory then anything.

At the local open source community I'm a known evangelist for Object Pascal, and my blog is full of code, text etc, regarding stuff in object pascal.
Some of the people over here that actually started using FPC/Lazarus arrived due to my blog posts, so spreading the word is very important imho.

Am 17.02.2013 09:55, schrieb ik:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Florian Klämpfl
>
>     Am 16.02.2013 20:45, schrieb geneb:
>     > On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 <tel:2013>, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>     >
>     >>> I tried something like this before and I was suprised at the
>     dearth of
>     >>> Lazarus and FreePascal bloggers. Getting Lazarus and FPC developers,
>     >>> (let alone users) to blog about their experiences is like pulling
>     >>> teeth.I think a law should be passed requiring FPC users to blog
>     about
>     >>> their usage and experiences at least twice a year.
>     >>
>     >> Maybe not everyone is so enthousiast about blogs as you ?
>     >>
>     >> I agree with Florian; I prefer to work on FPC.
>     >
>     > While I can certainly understand your point of view, the more people
>     > that are talking about FPC and Lazarus, the more people that will
>     become
>     > exposed to it.
>
>     Isn't the svn rss feed not the best opportunity to talk about
>     fpc/lazarus :)?
>

> When I hear stuff like "sure pascal is cool but lack of good string
> support", I think that it is more self explanatory then anything.
>
> At the local open source community I'm a known evangelist for Object
> Pascal, and my blog is full of code, text etc, regarding stuff in object
> pascal.
> Some of the people over here that actually started using FPC/Lazarus
> arrived due to my blog posts, so spreading the word is very important imho.

It is. But some might code, others might evangelize. What I wanted to
say: those who are interested what happens in FPC in detail might follow
also the svn rss feed. There is simply no need for the developers to
blog about this.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Florian Klämpfl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 17.02.2013 09:55, schrieb ik:

> On Sun, Feb 17, <a href="tel:2013" value="+9722013">2013 at 10:13 AM, Florian Klämpfl
>
>     Am 16.02.2013 20:45, schrieb geneb:
>     > On Sat, 16 Feb <a href="tel:2013" value="+9722013">2013 <tel:<a href="tel:2013" value="+9722013">2013>, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>     >
>     >>> I tried something like this before and I was suprised at the
>     dearth of
>     >>> Lazarus and FreePascal bloggers. Getting Lazarus and FPC developers,
>     >>> (let alone users) to blog about their experiences is like pulling
>     >>> teeth.I think a law should be passed requiring FPC users to blog
>     about
>     >>> their usage and experiences at least twice a year.
>     >>
>     >> Maybe not everyone is so enthousiast about blogs as you ?
>     >>
>     >> I agree with Florian; I prefer to work on FPC.
>     >
>     > While I can certainly understand your point of view, the more people
>     > that are talking about FPC and Lazarus, the more people that will
>     become
>     > exposed to it.
>
>     Isn't the svn rss feed not the best opportunity to talk about
>     fpc/lazarus :)?
>

> When I hear stuff like "sure pascal is cool but lack of good string
> support", I think that it is more self explanatory then anything.
>
> At the local open source community I'm a known evangelist for Object
> Pascal, and my blog is full of code, text etc, regarding stuff in object
> pascal.
> Some of the people over here that actually started using FPC/Lazarus
> arrived due to my blog posts, so spreading the word is very important imho.

It is. But some might code, others might evangelize. What I wanted to
say: those who are interested what happens in FPC in detail might follow
also the svn rss feed. There is simply no need for the developers to
blog about this.

I disagree on this, but that's ok

Am 17.02.2013 10:40, schrieb ik:

>     > When I hear stuff like "sure pascal is cool but lack of good string
>     > support", I think that it is more self explanatory then anything.
>     >
>     > At the local open source community I'm a known evangelist for Object
>     > Pascal, and my blog is full of code, text etc, regarding stuff in
>     object
>     > pascal.
>     > Some of the people over here that actually started using FPC/Lazarus
>     > arrived due to my blog posts, so spreading the word is very
>     important imho.
>
>     It is. But some might code, others might evangelize. What I wanted to
>     say: those who are interested what happens in FPC in detail might follow
>     also the svn rss feed. There is simply no need for the developers to
>     blog about this.
>

> I disagree on this, but that's ok

As soon as you start working seriously on the compiler, I'll start to
blog ;)

Am 16.02.2013 22:14 schrieb "Michael Van Canneyt" <[hidden email]>:

>>> Maybe not everyone is so enthousiast about blogs as you ?
>>>
>>> I agree with Florian; I prefer to work on FPC.
>>

>> While I can certainly understand your point of view, the more people that are talking about FPC and Lazarus, the more people that will become exposed to it.
>

> True. But I think Florian (or my) time is better spent on actaul coding.
> Let people that like blogs do the blogging.
>
> They're almost certainly going to be better at it.

I'm doing feature announcements. That can be nearly considered as blogging :)

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Florian Klämpfl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 17.02.2013 10:40, schrieb ik:
>     > When I hear stuff like "sure pascal is cool but lack of good string
>     > support", I think that it is more self explanatory then anything.
>     >
>     > At the local open source community I'm a known evangelist for Object
>     > Pascal, and my blog is full of code, text etc, regarding stuff in
>     object
>     > pascal.
>     > Some of the people over here that actually started using FPC/Lazarus
>     > arrived due to my blog posts, so spreading the word is very
>     important imho.
>
>     It is. But some might code, others might evangelize. What I wanted to
>     say: those who are interested what happens in FPC in detail might follow
>     also the svn rss feed. There is simply no need for the developers to
>     blog about this.
>

> I disagree on this, but that's ok

As soon as you start working seriously on the compiler, I'll start to
blog ;)

You mean like the things that I write for a living that actually being used country wide by big companies ?

Pascal is only one programming language I use, and only for hobby, not for make a living, and that's partly because of you.
You prefer to create new features, but keep it to yourself, and hoping that someone will catch-up.
It does not work like this, specially with Pascal.

But what do I know, I don't write software ...

Am 17.02.2013 10:53, schrieb ik:

> Pascal is only one programming language I use, and only for hobby, not
> for make a living,

The same applies here.

> and that's partly because of you.

Well and partly you :) I'am pretty sure that some of the developers
would blog about their work if somebody pays them for blogging. But you
don't do so (obviously I understand this), they have to earn their
living by other means.

> You prefer to create new features, but keep it to yourself, and hoping
> that someone will catch-up.

You miss the point. My time for fpc is limited and fixed. If I write
blog entries instead of coding, fpc will evolve slower. If I spent 25%
of all of my fpc time on blogging instead of improving fpc, maybe pascal
would be dead now because no advanced OSS compiler is available and it
would be only my private pet compiler I use to compile my chess programs
and the controll software for our model railway.

> It does not work like this, specially with Pascal.

How do you know so? Developers quickly realize if a tool is no evolving
and all advertisement is only buzz and will quickly use other tools.

Re: OT a bit - Planet Object Pascal

Sven Barth-2
On 17.02.2013 12:58, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
>> and that's partly because of you.
>
> Well and partly you :) I'am pretty sure that some of the developers
> would blog about their work if somebody pays them for blogging. But you
> don't do so (obviously I understand this), they have to earn their
> living by other means.

Once I'm done with university and have reimplemented my blog software
with silvioprog's brook framework I hope to blog more. :)

Re: OT a bit - Planet Object Pascal

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Florian Klämpfl wrote:

> Am 17.02.2013 10:53, schrieb ik:
>> Pascal is only one programming language I use, and only for hobby, not
>> for make a living,
>
> The same applies here.
>
>> and that's partly because of you.
>
> Well and partly you :) I'am pretty sure that some of the developers
> would blog about their work if somebody pays them for blogging. But you
> don't do so (obviously I understand this), they have to earn their
> living by other means.

And sometimes, having a high-profile blogger pushing one particular
product can be counterproductive since he ends up a figure of fun.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: OT a bit - Planet Object Pascal

vfclists .
On 17 February 2013 12:48, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Florian Klämpfl wrote:
>>
>> Am 17.02.2013 10:53, schrieb ik:
>>>
>>> Pascal is only one programming language I use, and only for hobby, not
>>> for make a living,
>>

>> The same applies here.
>>
>>> and that's partly because of you.
>>

>> Well and partly you :) I'am pretty sure that some of the developers
>> would blog about their work if somebody pays them for blogging. But you
>> don't do so (obviously I understand this), they have to earn their
>> living by other means.
>

> And sometimes, having a high-profile blogger pushing one particular product
> can be counterproductive since he ends up a figure of fun.

Would the said high-profile blogger be Zarko of delphi.about.com, who
is referenced here -
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/11/verity_stob_sons_of_kahn/.
Fear not, Zarko has ceased blogging on delphi.about.com since January
13 to work at Embarcadero. Perhaps he could be enticed to blog for
Lazarus and FPC

> --
> Mark Morgan Lloyd
> markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk
>
> [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or colleagues]

Frank Church

On 17 February 2013 09:35, Florian Klämpfl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 17.02.2013 09:55, schrieb ik:
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Florian Klämpfl
>>
>>     Am 16.02.2013 20:45, schrieb geneb:
>>     > On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 <tel:2013>, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>     >
>>     >>> I tried something like this before and I was suprised at the
>>     dearth of
>>     >>> Lazarus and FreePascal bloggers. Getting Lazarus and FPC developers,
>>     >>> (let alone users) to blog about their experiences is like pulling
>>     >>> teeth.I think a law should be passed requiring FPC users to blog
>>     about
>>     >>> their usage and experiences at least twice a year.
>>     >>
>>     >> Maybe not everyone is so enthousiast about blogs as you ?
>>     >>
>>     >> I agree with Florian; I prefer to work on FPC.
>>     >
>>     > While I can certainly understand your point of view, the more people
>>     > that are talking about FPC and Lazarus, the more people that will
>>     become
>>     > exposed to it.
>>
>>     Isn't the svn rss feed not the best opportunity to talk about
>>     fpc/lazarus :)?
>>

>> When I hear stuff like "sure pascal is cool but lack of good string
>> support", I think that it is more self explanatory then anything.
>>
>> At the local open source community I'm a known evangelist for Object
>> Pascal, and my blog is full of code, text etc, regarding stuff in object
>> pascal.
>> Some of the people over here that actually started using FPC/Lazarus
>> arrived due to my blog posts, so spreading the word is very important imho.
>
> It is. But some might code, others might evangelize. What I wanted to
> say: those who are interested what happens in FPC in detail might follow
> also the svn rss feed. There is simply no need for the developers to
> blog about this.

To be fair to Michael and Florian, the compiler i.e. FPC is not  the
same as the IDE Lazarus, which is the hub for most of the activity, so
one can understand their outlook, but a bit of info from the leading
lights of FPC every now and then would be appreciated :)

My beef is mostly with Lazarus developers. They are more at fault here
as a lot of the new features which make a good difference to
productivity tend go unannounced or unnoticed.

--
Frank Church

On 17.02.2013 14:40, Frank Church wrote:

> On 17 February 2013 09:35, Florian Klämpfl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am 17.02.2013 09:55, schrieb ik:
>>>

>>> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Florian Klämpfl
>>>
>>>      Am 16.02.2013 20:45, schrieb geneb:
>>>      > On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 <tel:2013>, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>>      >
>>>      >>> I tried something like this before and I was suprised at the
>>>      dearth of
>>>      >>> Lazarus and FreePascal bloggers. Getting Lazarus and FPC developers,
>>>      >>> (let alone users) to blog about their experiences is like pulling
>>>      >>> teeth.I think a law should be passed requiring FPC users to blog
>>>      about
>>>      >>> their usage and experiences at least twice a year.
>>>      >>
>>>      >> Maybe not everyone is so enthousiast about blogs as you ?
>>>      >>
>>>      >> I agree with Florian; I prefer to work on FPC.
>>>      >
>>>      > While I can certainly understand your point of view, the more people
>>>      > that are talking about FPC and Lazarus, the more people that will
>>>      become
>>>      > exposed to it.
>>>
>>>      Isn't the svn rss feed not the best opportunity to talk about
>>>      fpc/lazarus :)?
>>>

>>> When I hear stuff like "sure pascal is cool but lack of good string
>>> support", I think that it is more self explanatory then anything.
>>>
>>> At the local open source community I'm a known evangelist for Object
>>> Pascal, and my blog is full of code, text etc, regarding stuff in object
>>> pascal.
>>> Some of the people over here that actually started using FPC/Lazarus
>>> arrived due to my blog posts, so spreading the word is very important imho.
>>
>> It is. But some might code, others might evangelize. What I wanted to
>> say: those who are interested what happens in FPC in detail might follow
>> also the svn rss feed. There is simply no need for the developers to
>> blog about this.
>
> To be fair to Michael and Florian, the compiler i.e. FPC is not  the
> same as the IDE Lazarus, which is the hub for most of the activity, so
> one can understand their outlook, but a bit of info from the leading
> lights of FPC every now and then would be appreciated :)
>
> My beef is mostly with Lazarus developers. They are more at fault here
> as a lot of the new features which make a good difference to
> productivity tend go unannounced or unnoticed.

It might not be related to Lazarus, but because of this I've started to
write feature announcements for new and big changes (generic
constraints, TThread extension, type helpers) so that users can see what
new features were added to the compiler/the class libraries so that they
can test them (and hopefully report bugs they find). Also I'm trying to
give potential future developments so that they can see in what ways a
feature could be improved.

Frank Church wrote:

>> And sometimes, having a high-profile blogger pushing one particular product
>> can be counterproductive since he ends up a figure of fun.
>
> Would the said high-profile blogger be Zarko of delphi.about.com, who
> is referenced here -
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/11/verity_stob_sons_of_kahn/.
> Fear not, Zarko has ceased blogging on delphi.about.com since January
> 13 to work at Embarcadero. Perhaps he could be enticed to blog for
> Lazarus and FPC

I'm reluctant to mention names, since I don't see why I should nurture
the hapless. However I was actually thinking about somebody who's
presented a brave and optimistic face on Borland's behalf for several
decades, as well as a few others I've known on a private conferencing
service representing Borpricocadero, IBM and Sun.