[OT] Pascal compiler for embedded platforms

[OT] Pascal compiler for embedded platforms

Roberto Padovani
Hi List,

has anyone of you had the chance to try this Pascal compiler for embedded platforms?

Any comment will be appreciated!

Roberto

Re: [OT] Pascal compiler for embedded platforms

Rainer Stratmann
Am Thursday 14 March 2013 23:36:58 schrieb Roberto P.:

> Hi List,
>
> has anyone of you had the chance to try this Pascal compiler for embedded
> platforms?
>
> http://www.mikroe.com/mikropascal/
>
> Any comment will be appreciated!
>
> Roberto

Yes,

good product and good company.
I visited the company at embedded world fair in Nürnberg, Germany and was
impressed of them.

http://www.embedded-world.de

They improve their products and they have 16 (or 60) employees one man told me
at the fair.

On W98 were problems with the software, so I was sceptical but on XP the
Pascal compiler runs good. You can try the demo version with 4k code.

I work with it now. Interrupts can be programmed.

There are little things that are for me not 100% understandeable such as if
you put space inbetween numbers (and names) that the compiler will recognise
this as if there were no spaces inbetween... But there are other positive
things. Good libraries. Intuitive and userfriendly behaviour once you get
used to it.

In the past I programmed in pure assembler, but now I migrated a project which
needed some weeks or months almost in some days to pascal.

Important for me was that the software does not need internet access, because
I only want to go online with Linux.

They told me that they will cooperate with a big german distributor (Conrad
Electronic).

best regards, Rainer

Re: [OT] Pascal compiler for embedded platforms

Roberto Padovani
Thanks a lot for your comments, very interesting indeed.
Can you make a comparison against FPC target-embedded ?

I routinely write in C for the microcontrollers I use, but now with ARM Cortex M3 I could try Pascal.
I'm just a little afraid of the potentially limited maturity of these.

Thanks!

  Roberto

2013/3/15 Rainer Stratmann <[hidden email]>
Am Thursday 14 March 2013 23:36:58 schrieb Roberto P.:
> Hi List,
>
> has anyone of you had the chance to try this Pascal compiler for embedded
> platforms?
>
> http://www.mikroe.com/mikropascal/
>
> Any comment will be appreciated!
>
> Roberto

Yes,

good product and good company.
I visited the company at embedded world fair in Nürnberg, Germany and was
impressed of them.

http://www.embedded-world.de

They improve their products and they have 16 (or 60) employees one man told me
at the fair.

On W98 were problems with the software, so I was sceptical but on XP the
Pascal compiler runs good. You can try the demo version with 4k code.

I work with it now. Interrupts can be programmed.

There are little things that are for me not 100% understandeable such as if
you put space inbetween numbers (and names) that the compiler will recognise
this as if there were no spaces inbetween... But there are other positive
things. Good libraries. Intuitive and userfriendly behaviour once you get
used to it.

In the past I programmed in pure assembler, but now I migrated a project which
needed some weeks or months almost in some days to pascal.

Important for me was that the software does not need internet access, because
I only want to go online with Linux.

They told me that they will cooperate with a big german distributor (Conrad
Electronic).

best regards, Rainer

Re: [OT] Pascal compiler for embedded platforms

Michael Ring-2
I also like their products, especially the development boards are very
well designed. The IDE+debugger is nice & complete and the support fo
the software is also very good.

The things I do not like are that you have to buy a license for each
compiler family (PIC, PIC16, PIC 32, ARM), the compiler parser sometimes
is a little odd and, most important for me, they do not support objects
and have no plans to do so.

When you can live without objects a good choice, when you need objects
then freepascal is your choice.

Michael

Am Friday 15 March 2013 01:27:51 schrieb Roberto P.:
> Thanks a lot for your comments, very interesting indeed.
> Can you make a comparison against FPC target-embedded ?
FPC target-embedded is very complicated to install (Linux development
computer).
> I routinely write in C for the microcontrollers I use, but now with ARM
> Cortex M3 I could try Pascal.
For 32 bit ARM I would try to use freepascal.
I got it work somehow.
> I'm just a little afraid of the potentially limited maturity of these.
What do you mean exactly with that?

Am Friday 15 March 2013 07:48:25 schrieb Michael Ring:
> I also like their products, especially the development boards are very
> well designed. The IDE+debugger is nice & complete and the support fo
> the software is also very good.
Yes, they are busy with that stuff. And have a relatively good marketing
(important to earn money).
> The things I do not like are that you have to buy a license for each
> compiler family (PIC, PIC16, PIC 32, ARM),
> the compiler parser sometimes
> is a little odd
yes
> and, most important for me, they do not support objects
> and have no plans to do so.
But for little projects (AVR 8 bit controllers) this is the best choice.
> When you can live without objects a good choice, when you need objects
> then freepascal is your choice.
In general for 32 bit ARM I would choose freepascal.
> Michael

Re: [OT] Pascal compiler for embedded platforms

Roberto Padovani
2013/3/15 Rainer Stratmann <[hidden email]>
> Can you make a comparison against FPC target-embedded ?
FPC target-embedded is very complicated to install (Linux development
computer).

I'm on Win32 (or Win32 on Parallels on Max OS X); I'll have to dig more to understand what is needed.

For 32 bit ARM I would try to use freepascal.
I got it work somehow.

any tip or guide would be appreciated, then.

> I'm just a little afraid of the potentially limited maturity of these.
What do you mean exactly with that?

I mean that (maybe) both FPC and mikroePascal are young products for the embedded world, so that I might be facing compiler or  library propblems during the devlopment, besides my own project problems.

Am Friday 15 March 2013 07:48:25 schrieb Michael Ring:
> I also like their products, especially the development boards are very
> well designed. The IDE+debugger is nice & complete and the support fo
> the software is also very good.
Yes, they are busy with that stuff. And have a relatively good marketing
(important to earn money).

That's a +1

Roberto

Re: [OT] Pascal compiler for embedded platforms

Michael Ring-2
Lazarus & Freepascal work fine & native on both windows / mac, with retina display lazarus actually looks very good when you use a current snapshot.

mikropascal is windows only, when you only plan to use ARM then programming also works fine in a Parallels VM, when you plan to also target PIC/PIC32 you need a real windows computer because their pic-programmer does not work correctly atm in a Parallels VM.

Michael

Am Friday 15 March 2013 10:40:15 schrieb Roberto P.:
> 2013/3/15 Rainer Stratmann <[hidden email]>
> > For 32 bit ARM I would try to use freepascal.
> > I got it work somehow.
>
> any tip or guide would be appreciated, then.

For me that is not easy. Most of the time I get it work somehow and shortly
after I did not realize why ... :-)
I have suggestions to make something easier, but I am always facing excuses
why it is good as it is, so I less take part of this type of discussions
which are exhausting for me.

> > > I'm just a little afraid of the potentially limited maturity of these.
> >
> > What do you mean exactly with that?
>
> I mean that (maybe) both FPC and mikroePascal are young products for the
> embedded world, so that I might be facing compiler or  library propblems
> during the devlopment, besides my own project problems.

May be mikroe is not providing the sourcecode (I am not sure), but they have
for nearly everything a solution. Ethernet, FAT, SPI, SD-Card, USB, HTTP,
TCP, etc...
There were problems in the past, but because they are (heavily) busy with that
stuff they solve most of the important problems. And I think they are honest.

Re: [OT] Pascal compiler for embedded platforms

Justin Smyth
I've tried to use mikropascal and not had any luck , i emailed them my board
i was going to use with the product and they said they didnt support it.

I've now got a ST Link V2 for the debugging , if someone could give me an
idea how to set it up  , i would be great full.

Kind Regards

Justin Smyth

Am Friday 15 March 2013 10:40:15 schrieb Roberto P.:
> 2013/3/15 Rainer Stratmann <[hidden email]>
> > For 32 bit ARM I would try to use freepascal.
> > I got it work somehow.
>
> any tip or guide would be appreciated, then.

For me that is not easy. Most of the time I get it work somehow and shortly
after I did not realize why ... :-)
I have suggestions to make something easier, but I am always facing excuses
why it is good as it is, so I less take part of this type of discussions
which are exhausting for me.

> > > I'm just a little afraid of the potentially limited maturity of these.
> >
> > What do you mean exactly with that?
>
> I mean that (maybe) both FPC and mikroePascal are young products for the
> embedded world, so that I might be facing compiler or  library propblems
> during the devlopment, besides my own project problems.

May be mikroe is not providing the sourcecode (I am not sure), but they have
for nearly everything a solution. Ethernet, FAT, SPI, SD-Card, USB, HTTP,
TCP, etc...
There were problems in the past, but because they are (heavily) busy with
that
stuff they solve most of the important problems. And I think they are
honest.

Re: [OT] Pascal compiler for embedded platforms

Rainer Stratmann
What kind of controller?
Atmel AVR 8 bit?
ARM 32 bit?

For AVR it works good.

Am Friday 15 March 2013 13:29:48 schrieb Justin Smyth:
> I've tried to use mikropascal and not had any luck , i emailed them my
> board i was going to use with the product and they said they didnt support
> it.
may be in the future...

> I've now got a ST Link V2 for the debugging , if someone could give me an
> idea how to set it up  , i would be great full.
>
> Kind Regards
>

> Justin Smyth

Justin Smyth-2
Arm cortex m3 lpc 1343
32 bit
Board from wave share

Am Friday 15 March 2013 13:29:48 schrieb Justin Smyth:
> I've tried to use mikropascal and not had any luck , i emailed them my
> board i was going to use with the product and they said they didnt support
> it.
may be in the future...

> I've now got a ST Link V2 for the debugging , if someone could give me an
> idea how to set it up  , i would be great full.
>
> Kind Regards
>

> Justin Smyth

I'm using a LPC 1343 Microcontroller unit from waveshare, basically its a
Cortex M3.

the link for the board is -
http://www.wvshare.com/product/Open1343-Package-A.htm

I've now got STLInk V2 debugging kit , i want to debug this board in lazarus

KInd Regards

Justin

Am Friday 15 March 2013 13:29:48 schrieb Justin Smyth:
> I've tried to use mikropascal and not had any luck , i emailed them my
> board i was going to use with the product and they said they didnt support
> it.
may be in the future...

> I've now got a ST Link V2 for the debugging , if someone could give me an
> idea how to set it up  , i would be great full.
>
> Kind Regards
>

> Justin Smyth

May be you can use STM32F...

That works for me with FPC.
http://j-software.dk/stm32f103.php

Am Saturday 16 March 2013 03:13:52 schrieb Justin Smyth:

> I'm using a LPC 1343 Microcontroller unit from waveshare, basically its a
> Cortex M3.
>
> the link for the board is -
> http://www.wvshare.com/product/Open1343-Package-A.htm
>
> I've now got STLInk V2 debugging kit , i want to debug this board in
> lazarus
>

> KInd Regards
>
> Justin

I've had a quick read of http://j-software.dk/stm32f103.php , for the fpc
part i kinda get what to do ,

i want to be able to debug code on the fly as in when its running on my
board using the STLINK V2... so i assume i would have to setup lazarus gdb
to do this , is this correct ? if so how.

Am Saturday 16 March 2013 03:13:52 schrieb Justin Smyth:

> I'm using a LPC 1343 Microcontroller unit from waveshare, basically its a
> Cortex M3.
>
> the link for the board is -
> http://www.wvshare.com/product/Open1343-Package-A.htm
>
> I've now got STLInk V2 debugging kit , i want to debug this board in
> lazarus
>

> KInd Regards
>
> Justin

Those two links may help:

The first article references the 2nd:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/help-on-arm-cortex-m3-development-tools-ide/20/?wap2

https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/LPC43xx-Debugging

Michael

Am 16.03.13 03:13, schrieb Justin Smyth:

> I'm using a LPC 1343 Microcontroller unit from waveshare, basically
> its a Cortex M3.
>
> the link for the board is -
> http://www.wvshare.com/product/Open1343-Package-A.htm
>
> I've now got STLInk V2 debugging kit , i want to debug this board in
> lazarus
>

> KInd Regards
>
> Justin
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Rainer Stratmann
> Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:28 AM
> To: FPC-Pascal users discussions
> Subject: Re: [fpc-pascal] [OT] Pascal compiler for embedded platforms
>
> What kind of controller?
> Atmel AVR 8 bit?
> ARM 32 bit?
>
> For AVR it works good.
>
> Am Friday 15 March 2013 13:29:48 schrieb Justin Smyth:
>> I've tried to use mikropascal and not had any luck , i emailed them my
>> board i was going to use with the product and they said they didnt
>> support
>> it.
> may be in the future...
>>

>> I've now got a ST Link V2 for the debugging , if someone could give
>> me an
>> idea how to set it up  , i would be great full.
>>
>> Kind Regards
>>

>> Justin Smyth

I have downloaded openocd and will install it and setup the gdb side of it.

Not sure when could be today or tomorrow

Am 16.03.13 03:13, schrieb Justin Smyth:

> I'm using a LPC 1343 Microcontroller unit from waveshare, basically
> its a Cortex M3.
>
> the link for the board is -
> http://www.wvshare.com/product/Open1343-Package-A.htm
>
> I've now got STLInk V2 debugging kit , i want to debug this board in
> lazarus
>

> KInd Regards
>
> Justin
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Rainer Stratmann
> Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:28 AM
> To: FPC-Pascal users discussions
> Subject: Re: [fpc-pascal] [OT] Pascal compiler for embedded platforms
>
> What kind of controller?
> Atmel AVR 8 bit?
> ARM 32 bit?
>
> For AVR it works good.
>
> Am Friday 15 March 2013 13:29:48 schrieb Justin Smyth:
>> I've tried to use mikropascal and not had any luck , i emailed them my
>> board i was going to use with the product and they said they didnt
>> support
>> it.
> may be in the future...
>>

>> I've now got a ST Link V2 for the debugging , if someone could give
>> me an
>> idea how to set it up  , i would be great full.
>>
>> Kind Regards
>>

>> Justin Smyth

Rainer what board were using using for this below ?

Am Saturday 16 March 2013 03:13:52 schrieb Justin Smyth:

> I'm using a LPC 1343 Microcontroller unit from waveshare, basically its a
> Cortex M3.
>
> the link for the board is -
> http://www.wvshare.com/product/Open1343-Package-A.htm
>
> I've now got STLInk V2 debugging kit , i want to debug this board in
> lazarus
>

> KInd Regards
>
> Justin

I had my own (simple) board Jeppe gave me an upload program written by his own
which works perfect.
May be you can ask him. He is the specialist for that stuff.

Am Sunday 17 March 2013 10:08:19 schrieb Justin Smyth:

> Rainer what board were using using for this below ?

Does that allow debugging via Lazarus ?

I had my own (simple) board Jeppe gave me an upload program written by his own
which works perfect.
May be you can ask him. He is the specialist for that stuff.

Am Sunday 17 March 2013 10:08:19 schrieb Justin Smyth:

> Rainer what board were using using for this below ?

I am not sure, but I think that is not possibe.
For me I don't need debugger.