[OT] CTags Tool for Object Pascal Language

[OT] CTags Tool for Object Pascal Language

JohannS-2
The Exuberant CTags program supports over 30 programming languages
including Standard Pascal.  For C and C++ it does a fantastic job of
indexing all routines and variables even when embedded in complex and
unusual expressions.  The support for Pascal, on the other hand, is
limited to indexing function and procedure names.  There is no support
for variables.  Functions and procedures are not supported if dot
notation is used to make them object methods or to scope them to a
particular unit.  This severely limits the usefulness of Exuberant CTags
index files for object oriented code.

Anyone know of a CTags program with more complete support for Pascal?

Re: [OT] CTags Tool for Object Pascal Language

Marco van de Voort
> The Exuberant CTags program supports over 30 programming languages
> including Standard Pascal.  For C and C++ it does a fantastic job of
> indexing all routines and variables even when embedded in complex and
> unusual expressions.  The support for Pascal, on the other hand, is
> limited to indexing function and procedure names.  There is no support
> for variables.  Functions and procedures are not supported if dot
> notation is used to make them object methods or to scope them to a
> particular unit.  This severely limits the usefulness of Exuberant CTags
> index files for object oriented code.
>
> Anyone know of a CTags program with more complete support for Pascal?

It sounds like a crossreferencer. Search for Coco/R, a parser generator that
can gen Delphi code. IIRC the cross referencer is one of its std demoes for
each language.

Re: [OT] CTags Tool for Object Pascal Language

Matt Emson
> It sounds like a crossreferencer. Search for Coco/R, a parser generator
> that
> can gen Delphi code. IIRC the cross referencer is one of its std demoes
> for
> each language.

Essentially PasDoc more or less does what he wants, except the files it
produces are HTML. With some work it might be able to be used.

Re: [OT] CTags Tool for Object Pascal Language

Michael Van Canneyt

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, memsom wrote:

>> It sounds like a crossreferencer. Search for Coco/R, a parser generator
>> that
>> can gen Delphi code. IIRC the cross referencer is one of its std demoes
>> for
>> each language.
>
> Essentially PasDoc more or less does what he wants, except the files it
> produces are HTML. With some work it might be able to be used.

The FCL contains all components you need. fpDoc uses it, and it's
distributed with FPC. The fpRPC components also use it to generate
an interface definition, if I'm correct.

On 24/04/06, memsom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It sounds like a crossreferencer. Search for Coco/R, a parser generator
> > that
> > can gen Delphi code. IIRC the cross referencer is one of its std demoes
> > for
> > each language.
>
> Essentially PasDoc more or less does what he wants, except the files it
> produces are HTML. With some work it might be able to be used.

PasDoc does sound like a solution. BTW:  PasDoc can output to a few
different formats (html, rtf, Latex, etc), so it should be possible
to write a new output format without major effort.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1