Newbie question#1

Matthew Fero
Hi,

When I try to compile my program with:
fpc myfile.p

This produces no errors and myfile.o appears in my home directory.
However, there is no executable file (a.out).  Am I doing something
wrong?

MF

Re: Newbie question#1

Jonas Maebe-2

On 10 Feb 2006, at 17:10, Matthew Fero wrote:

> When I try to compile my program with:
> fpc myfile.p
>
> This produces no errors and myfile.o appears in my home directory.
> However, there is no executable file (a.out).  Am I doing something
> wrong?

Unless myfile is a unit, there should also be a file simply called
"myfile" (without extension) after compilation, which is the executable.

Re: Newbie question#1

> When I try to compile my program with:
> fpc myfile.p
>
> This produces no errors and myfile.o appears in my home directory.
> However, there is no executable file (a.out).  Am I doing something
> wrong?

a.out is an ancient unix fileformat, that is still abused as default name in
gcc. (even though gcc generates ELF since at least 1996)

What other files are generated

- If it is a main program, "myfile" should have been created in addition. Run it.
- if it is a unit (library) "myfile.ppu" should have been generated.