New to the list; Lots of startup questions

New to the list; Lots of startup questions

David Chandler-5
Hello,
I am new to the FPC-Pascal list.  I programmed in Borland Pascal in the
late 1980's and early 1990's including a DOS star mapping program called
Deep Space (see http://www.davidchandler.com).  I never made the
transition to Object Pascal, Delphi, or a Windows environment.

I  was wanting to review the list archives, but the link at
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal appears to be
broken.  I would appreciate a good link if the archives really exist.

My main problem getting started with FPC has been general logistics
operating in a Windows environment.  I have an icon to open FPC on my
desktop.  If I have the programs I am working on in various directories
called c:\project1, c:\project2, etc., how do I configure the
Options/Directories to look for things in the right places and put
compiled code in the right places?  Do I need separate icons to open FPC
for each working directory?

Also I did a Hello program that put the output in a DOS screen, which
flashed off immediately.  I got it to stay open by waiting for input
using the keypressed function in the CRT unit.  Is there some other way?

Where would I read to start learning about producing GUI output?  Is
there still the distinction between text and graphics modes as in the
Turbo Pascal days?  Do I need to read up on Delphi to be able to use GUI
features in FPC, or are there tutorials for FPC that would get me there
directly?

Enough questions for now.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give
to help me get off the ground.

--David Chandler

Re: New to the list; Lots of startup questions

Jilani Khaldi
Hello David,

> My main problem getting started with FPC has been general logistics
> operating in a Windows environment.  I have an icon to open FPC on my
> desktop.  If I have the programs I am working on in various
> directories called c:\project1, c:\project2, etc., how do I configure
> the Options/Directories to look for things in the right places and put
> compiled code in the right places?  Do I need separate icons to open
> FPC for each working directory?

use Dev-Pascal IDE
http://www.bloodshed.net/devpascal.html

> Also I did a Hello program that put the output in a DOS screen, which
> flashed off immediately.  I got it to stay open by waiting for input
> using the keypressed function in the CRT unit.  Is there some other way?

Just add at the end of the program:
write('Press <Enter> to quit');
readln;

> Where would I read to start learning about producing GUI output?  Is
> there still the distinction between text and graphics modes as in the
> Turbo Pascal days?  Do I need to read up on Delphi to be able to use
> GUI features in FPC, or are there tutorials for FPC that would get me
> there directly?

See here
http://www.freepascal.org/packages/gtk.html
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

Ciao!

Jilani

--
// Jilani KHALDI
http://jkhaldi.oltrelinux.com

Re: New to the list; Lots of startup questions

L505

> Also I did a Hello program that put the output in a DOS screen, which
> flashed off immediately.  I got it to stay open by waiting for input
> using the keypressed function in the CRT unit.  Is there some other way?

You can call

 readln;

to pause the program. Also, in windows, you can run

 cmd /k myprogram.exe

and it will open a command prompt for you and hold it open if the program crashes or ends.

--
L505
http://z505.com

Re: New to the list; Lots of startup questions

> My main problem getting started with FPC has been general logistics
> operating in a Windows environment.  I have an icon to open FPC on my
> desktop.  If I have the programs I am working on in various directories
> called c:\project1, c:\project2, etc., how do I configure the
> Options/Directories to look for things in the right places and put
> compiled code in the right places?  Do I need separate icons to open FPC
> for each working directory?

If you use a systematic directory layout, try adding global search paths
as absolutes and directories inside your project dirs as relative paths.

> Where would I read to start learning about producing GUI output?

Lazarus is GUI, cross platform Delphi style. Drag and drop a button, double
click it, fill the code what you want executed.

> Is there still the distinction between text and graphics modes as in the
> Turbo Pascal days?

Console and GUI now. This is not only console and GUI but also between
normal and event driven (though TV textmode programs are closer to the GUI
model then to console IMHO)

> Do I need to read up on Delphi to be able to use GUI features in FPC, or
> are there tutorials for FPC that would get me there directly?

Yes, definitely. Simply use Delphi tutorials to get a feel. Lazarus is
similar enough to benefit from that.

Nearly everything by Marco Cantu is good, he has a bunch of free ebooks on
his site you can start with, and if you can pick up one of his "Mastering
Delphi" series books in a dump it is also nice. IIRC they are not even
terribly expensive new.

Those are more tutorial like. For more deep knowledge consult delphi manuals
and of course the language description part of the quite fine FPC
documentation itself.

List Archive???

David Chandler-5
I  would like to browse the archives for this list, but the link at
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal appears to be
broken.  It sends me to a Microsoft site.  Do archives really exist?  If
so, what is the correct link?

--David Chandler

Re: List Archive???

Michalis Kamburelis
David Chandler wrote:
> I  would like to browse the archives for this list, but the link at
> http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal appears to be
> broken.  It sends me to a Microsoft site.  Do archives really exist?  If
> so, what is the correct link?

On this page: [http://www.freepascal.org/maillist.html] there are two
working links to fpc-pascal archives:
[http://lists.freepascal.org/lists/fpc-pascal/] and