New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

Martin Schreiber
My Pascal cross platform GUI library and IDE has reached 'near beta' state.
I plan to release the IDE under GPL and the library under LGPL or similar.

- Compiles on FPC 2.0.2 or FPC 2.0.3.
- Tested on i386-linux SuSE 9.0,9.2,10.0 and i386-win32 98 and 2000.
- Links to xlib and gdi32, no external widget library needed.
- Internal character encoding is UCS2.
- Uses anti aliased fonts on Linux (XFT).
- All screen drawing is double buffered.
- Has docking forms.
- Has embedded forms (similar to TFrame).

IDE:
- Integrated debugging.
- Source code highlighting.
- Source code navigation with  support for include files.
- Integrated visual form designer with source code update for components and
events.
- Flexible and practical build system with switchable macros.

You can download source and binaries from
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/msegui/

Have a lot of fun!
Martin

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On 12/8/05, Martin Schreiber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My Pascal cross platform GUI library and IDE has reached 'near beta' state.
> I plan to release the IDE under GPL and the library under LGPL or similar.

Souds great!

I´d like to make three feature requests:

* Use the Modifyed LGPL used by Lazarus LCL to allow static linking to
projects on other licenses for the Library.

* Can you create a Widgetset interface for it on Lazarus?

* Create a Source Forge project (or similar) for it. This is vital if
you wish to allow others to improve the project.

I bet these features would give lot´s of users (and developers) to the project.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

Mattias Gaertner
On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:52:50 +0100
Martin Schreiber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My Pascal cross platform GUI library and IDE has reached 'near beta'
> state. I plan to release the IDE under GPL and the library under LGPL or
> similar.
>
> - Compiles on FPC 2.0.2 or FPC 2.0.3.
> - Tested on i386-linux SuSE 9.0,9.2,10.0 and i386-win32 98 and 2000.
> - Links to xlib and gdi32, no external widget library needed.
> - Internal character encoding is UCS2.
> - Uses anti aliased fonts on Linux (XFT).
> - All screen drawing is double buffered.
> - Has docking forms.
> - Has embedded forms (similar to TFrame).
>
> IDE:
> - Integrated debugging.
> - Source code highlighting.
> - Source code navigation with  support for include files.
> - Integrated visual form designer with source code update for components
> and  events.
> - Flexible and practical build system with switchable macros.
>
> You can download source and binaries from
> http://mypage.bluewin.ch/msegui/

Is there any Readme, Makefile or Install text?

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

Den Jean
On Friday 09 December 2005 01:13 pm, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > - Compiles on FPC 2.0.2 or FPC 2.0.3.
> > - Tested on i386-linux SuSE 9.0,9.2,10.0 and i386-win32 98 and 2000.
> > - Links to xlib and gdi32, no external widget library needed.
> > - Internal character encoding is UCS2.
> > - Uses anti aliased fonts on Linux (XFT).
> > - All screen drawing is double buffered.
> > - Has docking forms.
> > - Has embedded forms (similar to TFrame).

impressive

Den Jean

On Friday 09 December 2005 19.13, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> Is there any Readme, Makefile or Install text?
Not yet.

If you wish to test:

1. Download src and bin zip's.
2. Extract them to a directory of your choice ('yourdirectory') .
3. Run 'yourdirectory/bin/i386-linux/mseide' on linux or
'yourdirectory\bin\i386-win32\mseide.exe' on windows.
4. In 'Settings'-'Configure MSEide'-'${MSEDIR}' select 'yourdirectory/msegui'.
4a. On windows you have to setup ${COMPILER} and ${DEBUGGER}
5. In 'Project'-'Open' select 'yourdirectory/msegui/apps/demo/demo.prj'.
6. 'Target'-'Continue'.

If you wish to to compile the IDE:

1. In 'Project'-'Open' select 'yourdirectory/msegui/apps/ide/mseide.prj'.
2. 'Target'-Continue'.

Martin

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

L505

> My Pascal cross platform GUI library and IDE has reached 'near beta' state.
> I plan to release the IDE under GPL and the library under LGPL or similar.
>
> - Compiles on FPC 2.0.2 or FPC 2.0.3.
> - Tested on i386-linux SuSE 9.0,9.2,10.0 and i386-win32 98 and 2000.
> - Links to xlib and gdi32, no external widget library needed.
> - Internal character encoding is UCS2.
> - Uses anti aliased fonts on Linux (XFT).
> - All screen drawing is double buffered.
> - Has docking forms.
> - Has embedded forms (similar to TFrame).
>
> IDE:
> - Integrated debugging.
> - Source code highlighting.
> - Source code navigation with  support for include files.
> - Integrated visual form designer with source code update for components and
> events.
> - Flexible and practical build system with switchable macros.

Neat.. saves a lot of screen space with the fonts and menus you use.  I'll write a
page about it when I get a chance after playing with it.

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

L505
I hate to bring this up since it isn't the most important issue in our lives these
days, but just for fun..

Demo.exe I got a 604KB exe
After UPX 187KB

That was with the -CX and -XX options in the command line, along with

 strip demo.exe

Anyone get similar results?

Pretty good size for a cross platform app, and I wonder if Martin has already worked
on tweaking the libraries for smartlinking, or whether there has been no work done
there (i.e. room for optimization or is this already been optimized? )

p.s.
Martin I may use this IDE in the PSP project - we are looking for an IDE to build
Pascal web projects, and currently lazarus is i candidate, and Syn too.. maybe this
IDE is another option!

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

L505

> I hate to bring this up since it isn't the most important issue in our lives these
> days, but just for fun..
>
> Demo.exe I got a 604KB exe
> After UPX 187KB
>
> That was with the -CX and -XX options in the command line, along with
>
>  strip demo.exe
>
> Anyone get similar results?
>
> Pretty good size for a cross platform app, and I wonder if Martin has already
worked
> on tweaking the libraries for smartlinking, or whether there has been no work done
> there (i.e. room for optimization or is this already been optimized? )

In addition to my above comments, measuring size is actually different in this case,
because we have to consider that the program above is a special program in that it
does not use native windows controls AFAIK? i.e. not using ComDlg32.dll and similar
(whereas notepad and delphi apps do, so this hides some of the exe size in the dll
with delphi programs and it isn't a fair comparison).

So a 600kb exe may actually mean that there is 600kb of true native controls in the
exe, whereas notepad/delphi applications store a lot of their native controls in
other dlls on the windows machine.

Martin, are components mostly custom windows API graphic screen calls?  My tools tell
me your programs do not rely on ComDlg32.dll and ComCtl32.dll (which is obvious
considering there are no windows-ish looking dialogs and controls in the program).
Hey I'll look into the source too, to try find out, but it's also interesting to
discuss these issues in english too :)

i.e. in a delphi hello world Exe you immediately pull in comctl32.dll whereas in this
IDE you do NOT pull in comctl32.dll, so considerations need to be made.

One other thing I noticed is mpr.dll gets pulled in with demo.exe but in a delphi
hello world it does not. What code in demo.exe does rely on mpr.exe, is I wonder?

Again, none of these issues are *really* important at this point in time. I'm really
just over-analyzing - but interesting none the less.

On Saturday 10 December 2005 10.04, L505 wrote:
> Demo.exe I got a 604KB exe

demo.pas compiled with Delphi 7: exe size = 392kB

> p.s.
> Martin I may use this IDE in the PSP project - we are looking for an IDE to
> build Pascal web projects, and currently lazarus is i candidate, and Syn
> too.. maybe this IDE is another option!

That makes me happy!

On Saturday 10 December 2005 10.33, L505 wrote:
> So a 600kb exe may actually mean that there is 600kb of true native
> controls in the exe, whereas notepad/delphi applications store a lot of
> their native controls in other dlls on the windows machine.
>
> Martin, are components mostly custom windows API graphic screen calls?  My
> tools tell me your programs do not rely on ComDlg32.dll and ComCtl32.dll
> (which is obvious considering there are no windows-ish looking dialogs and
> controls in the program). Hey I'll look into the source too, to try find
> out, but it's also interesting to discuss these issues in english too :)
Correct.

> i.e. in a delphi hello world Exe you immediately pull in comctl32.dll
> whereas in this IDE you do NOT pull in comctl32.dll, so considerations need
> to be made.
Correct.

> One other thing I noticed is mpr.dll gets pulled in with demo.exe but in a
> delphi hello world it does not. What code in demo.exe does rely on mpr.exe,
> is I wonder?
Me too. What does mpr.dll?

Martin

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On 12/8/05, Martin Schreiber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My Pascal cross platform GUI library and IDE has reached 'near beta' state.
> I plan to release the IDE under GPL and the library under LGPL or similar.

Souds great!

Can I make some feature requests?

On Saturday 10 December 2005 17.37, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> * Use the Modifyed LGPL used by Lazarus LCL to allow static linking to
> projects on other licenses for the Library.
What about the FPC library licence (COPYING.FPC)?

> * Can you create a Widgetset interface for it on Lazarus?

That is difficult, msegui has a very different architecture.

> * Create a Source Forge project (or similar) for it. This is vital if
> you wish to allow others to improve the project.
This is planned, but I will need assistance from people who now how to do
(mailinglists, bug repository svn ...).

Martin

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

Martin Schreiber
(Second post)
On Saturday 10 December 2005 10.33, L505 wrote:
> So a 600kb exe may actually mean that there is 600kb of true native
> controls in the exe, whereas notepad/delphi applications store a lot of
> their native controls in other dlls on the windows machine.
>
> Martin, are components mostly custom windows API graphic screen calls?  My
> tools tell me your programs do not rely on ComDlg32.dll and ComCtl32.dll
> (which is obvious considering there are no windows-ish looking dialogs and
> controls in the program). Hey I'll look into the source too, to try find
> out, but it's also interesting to discuss these issues in english too :)
Correct.

> i.e. in a delphi hello world Exe you immediately pull in comctl32.dll
> whereas in this IDE you do NOT pull in comctl32.dll, so considerations need
> to be made.
Correct.

> One other thing I noticed is mpr.dll gets pulled in with demo.exe but in a
> delphi hello world it does not. What code in demo.exe does rely on mpr.exe,
> is I wonder?
Me too. What does mpr.dll?

Martin

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

Martin Schreiber
(Second post)
On Saturday 10 December 2005 10.04, L505 wrote:
> Demo.exe I got a 604KB exe

demo.pas compiled with Delphi 7: exe size = 392kB

> p.s.
> Martin I may use this IDE in the PSP project - we are looking for an IDE to
> build Pascal web projects, and currently lazarus is i candidate, and Syn
> too.. maybe this IDE is another option!

That makes me happy!

Martin

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

Martin Schreiber
(Second post)
On Friday 09 December 2005 19.13, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> Is there any Readme, Makefile or Install text?
Not yet.

If you wish to test:

1. Download src and bin zip's.
2. Extract them to a directory of your choice ('yourdirectory') .
3. Run 'yourdirectory/bin/i386-linux/mseide' on linux or
'yourdirectory\bin\i386-win32\mseide.exe' on windows.
4. In 'Settings'-'Configure MSEide'-'${MSEDIR}' select 'yourdirectory/msegui'.
4a. On windows you have to setup ${COMPILER} and ${DEBUGGER}
5. In 'Project'-'Open' select 'yourdirectory/msegui/apps/demo/demo.prj'.
6. 'Target'-'Continue'.

If you wish to to compile the IDE:

1. In 'Project'-'Open' select 'yourdirectory/msegui/apps/ide/mseide.prj'.
2. 'Target'-Continue'.

Martin

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

Martin Schreiber
(Third post)
On Friday 09 December 2005 19.13, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> Is there any Readme, Makefile or Install text?
Not yet.

If you wish to test:

1. Download src and bin zip's.
2. Extract them to a directory of your choice ('yourdirectory') .
3. Run 'yourdirectory/bin/i386-linux/mseide' on linux or
'yourdirectory\bin\i386-win32\mseide.exe' on windows.
4. In 'Settings'-'Configure MSEide'-'${MSEDIR}' select 'yourdirectory/msegui'.
4a. On windows you have to setup ${COMPILER} and ${DEBUGGER}
5. In 'Project'-'Open' select 'yourdirectory/msegui/apps/demo/demo.prj'.
6. 'Target'-'Continue'.

If you wish to to compile the IDE:

1. In 'Project'-'Open' select 'yourdirectory/msegui/apps/ide/mseide.prj'.
2. 'Target'-Continue'.

Martin

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

Martin Schreiber
(Second post)
On Saturday 10 December 2005 17.37, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> * Use the Modifyed LGPL used by Lazarus LCL to allow static linking to
> projects on other licenses for the Library.
What about the FPC library licence (COPYING.FPC)?

> * Can you create a Widgetset interface for it on Lazarus?

That is difficult, msegui has a very different architecture.

> * Create a Source Forge project (or similar) for it. This is vital if
> you wish to allow others to improve the project.
This is planned, but I will need assistance from people who now how to do
(mailinglists, bug repository svn ...).

Martin

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

Martin Schreiber
(Second post)
On Saturday 10 December 2005 10.04, L505 wrote:
> Demo.exe I got a 604KB exe

demo.pas compiled with Delphi 7: exe size = 392kB

> p.s.
> Martin I may use this IDE in the PSP project - we are looking for an IDE to
> build Pascal web projects, and currently lazarus is i candidate, and Syn
> too.. maybe this IDE is another option!

That makes me happy!

Martin

Re: New Pascal cross platform GUI library with IDE

Martin Schreiber
(Fourth post)