MySQL3, MySQL4, and MySql5 - Micha Might have answer

MySQL3, MySQL4, and MySql5 - Micha Might have answer

Jason P Sage
I heard from Michael Van Canneyt, or Micha, in an email not to long ago,
that the MySQL5 FPC unit is available and has been for awhile. My attempts
at finding it have been fruitless.

Question: Does anyone know where I can find the MySQL5 FPC unit that
succeeds MySql4 FPC unit?

Thank You Micha for help so far!

Thanx all of you in advance (if/when you reply ;)

--- Now for some rambling --- BEGIN

I just wanted to report that I was able to resurrect my old MySQL 3 wrapper
(wraps the FPC MySQL/MySQL3 unit) using the FPC 2.0.2 version - COOL!

I was also able to make a new wrapper around the FPC MySQL4 unit using FPC
2.0.2 version - COOL once again! This was just like Micha said! The only
real big difference is how you connect.. but the calls are mostly the same.
The biggest difference, is that version 3 of mysql required you maintain a
pointer per connection - and this pointer was passed to every MySQL call.
The version 4 is ALMOST the same except there are now two pointers that seem
to matter most: 1 is, forgive my ignorance, but, seems to me... to be a
MYSQL CLIENT internal "GLOBAL" pointer to some internal structure that you
initialize with a mysql_init call. The other(s), are (an) individual pointer
for each/your connection (you) make, and these connection pointers can be
used to get meta data available about these connection(s) by passing them to
certain mysql_????? functions.

I'd just thought I'd post this other stuff to maybe help the next person.

--- Now for some rambling --- END

Have a great Day All!
Jason P Sage

RE: MySQL3, MySQL4, and MySql5 - Micha Might have answer

Jason P Sage

[Jason P Sage Wrote Originally...]
>I heard from Michael Van Canneyt, or Micha, in an email not to long ago,
>that the MySQL5 FPC unit is available and has been for awhile. My attempts
>at finding it have been fruitless.

>Question: Does anyone know where I can find the MySQL5 FPC unit that
>succeeds MySql4 FPC unit?

[Jason Peter Sage] COOL once again! I'd thought I'd report that, at least
for a connection, simple query, and clean shutdown, it appears that the FPC
MySQL4 unit works with MySQL version 5 unchanged!!!!!  WOO HOO!!!

I haven't done any elaborate testing... like I mention above - a simple
connect, query, and clean shutdown - well.. that works fine! (On Win32 btw)
.. about to try the code out on Redhat Fedora 5. If any one is interested -
I'll let ya know if it works - but experience tells me that if the MySql
stuff is working in Win32, it will likely work in Linux .. :)

Jason P Sage

Re: MySQL3, MySQL4, and MySql5 - Micha Might have answer

Jesus Reyes

[...]

-----------------------

Where did you look?

These versions are included in FPC2.0.3, FPC2.0.4, FPC2.1.1

the source is in directory packages/base/mysql/

RE: MySQL3, MySQL4, and MySql5 - Micha Might have answer

Jason P Sage
[Jason Peter Sage] In response to Jes?s Reyes question about where I looked
for the MySQL5 unit....
[Jason Peter Sage] I did google search for MySQL5 and Freepascal - and
mostly found my own FPC mailing list entries. I'm currently using FPC 2.0.2
so that may be why I'm a little out dated. I admittedly have never tried to
compile the FPC compiler itself, but think I should some day to make sure I
can do it on my most frequented platforms. To date, I tend to grab the
official releases, because I'm not contributing on a FPC compiler level at
all, and I'm making applications so I prefer the "FPC Team Approved" (and
packaged) versions.

As far as contributions, I'm trying to figure out how to release some code
that is part of a proprietary system, in a manner that can help the
community at large without rendering the commercial product usurped.

I've released a lib in the past, but it has progressed in many ways that I
think should be shared in whole or in part - as it has really helped me get
a lot out of FPC.

I think it's great that the MySQL5 unit will be in the next release -
hopefully the same release slated for August!

It was mentioned to me that this new release ALSO includes an important CRT
unit fix for Linux that I'm very excited about. Why? Sometimes I need a
plain, easy to write, UI that isn't about GFX as much as simplicity and
portable. The CRT unit makes this a reality when its working. And let me add
it has always worked to my knowledge - and just ended up with bug this
(2.0.2 only I think) go around.

Thanks for Asking Jes?s
Jason P Sage