Morfik is using FPC compiler

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Morfik is using FPC compiler

Bee-6
This is really amazing! Morfik is using FPC compiler to be able to target
multiplatform! Have Morfik people contact FPC team about this? How can FPC
didn't place any announcement about this?

I'm getting more and more proud of FPC. This proves the maturity of FPC
compiler. Congratulations to the FPC core team development! :)

As the backend default database, it uses Firebird and IBO as the connection
component. And Firebird knew about this and give annoucement about this too.
Just like I always told you... FPC and Firebird combination is just hard to beat! :)

I've just download Morfik beta demo version and give it a try. And this looks
really very promising as the next development framework. This gives me more
reason to let .Net behind alone. :p

What do you think about this guys? :)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at
http://beeography.wordpress.com
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Morfik is using FPC compiler

Michael Van Canneyt


On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Bisma Jayadi wrote:

> This is really amazing! Morfik is using FPC compiler to be able to target
> multiplatform! Have Morfik people contact FPC team about this? How can FPC
> didn't place any announcement about this?

Because we don't know about it. I've been keeping an eye on Morfik since
quite some time, but I didn't know they use FPC. How did you find out ?

>
> I'm getting more and more proud of FPC. This proves the maturity of FPC
> compiler. Congratulations to the FPC core team development! :)
>
> As the backend default database, it uses Firebird and IBO as the connection
> component. And Firebird knew about this and give annoucement about this too.
> Just like I always told you... FPC and Firebird combination is just hard to beat! :)

I have been convinced of this since ages ;-)

>
> I've just download Morfik beta demo version and give it a try. And this looks
> really very promising as the next development framework. This gives me more
> reason to let .Net behind alone. :p
>
> What do you think about this guys? :)

That I'm downloading the beta as I type this :-)

Till a couple of weeks ago, it was for subscribers only...

This is great news.

Michael.
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Morfik is using FPC compiler

Bee-6
> Because we don't know about it. I've been keeping an eye on Morfik since
> quite some time, but I didn't know they use FPC. How did you find out ?

If you create new project on Morfik Pascal, then select Tools | Options from
main menu and in Option dialog box select Compiler tab. Then see items within
"Target Platform" combo box. :)

But it seems that currently Morfik only support Virtual Pascal (VPC) compiler on
default installation. This is too bad since VPC is an almost die compiler,
there's no more update since May 2004. Changing to another compiler (FPC) will
be reverted again to VPC.

> That I'm downloading the beta as I type this :-)
> Till a couple of weeks ago, it was for subscribers only...
> This is great news.

Maybe FPC needs to confirm Morfik team and ask about this. If Morfik will really
use FPC, then I think we need to support them.

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at
http://beeography.wordpress.com
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Morfik is using FPC compiler

Michael Van Canneyt


On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Bisma Jayadi wrote:

>> Because we don't know about it. I've been keeping an eye on Morfik since
>> quite some time, but I didn't know they use FPC. How did you find out ?
>
> If you create new project on Morfik Pascal, then select Tools | Options from
> main menu and in Option dialog box select Compiler tab. Then see items within
> "Target Platform" combo box. :)
>
> But it seems that currently Morfik only support Virtual Pascal (VPC) compiler
> on default installation. This is too bad since VPC is an almost die compiler,
> there's no more update since May 2004. Changing to another compiler (FPC)
> will be reverted again to VPC.
>
>> That I'm downloading the beta as I type this :-)
>> Till a couple of weeks ago, it was for subscribers only...
>> This is great news.
>
> Maybe FPC needs to confirm Morfik team and ask about this. If Morfik will
> really use FPC, then I think we need to support them.

I installed morfik, but it doesn't work. It conflicts with my existing
Firebird installation. Not a good start :-)

Michael.
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Morfik is using FPC compiler

Bee-6
> I installed morfik, but it doesn't work. It conflicts with my existing
> Firebird installation. Not a good start :-)

It's easy to fix. You just need to change your Firebird listening port, because
Morfik's Firebird setting seems unchangeable (fixed), CMIIW. I've tried it
running on par with my Firebird (1.5.3) installation on a same machine without
problems.

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at
http://beeography.wordpress.com
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Morfik is using FPC compiler

Michael Van Canneyt


On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Bisma Jayadi wrote:

>> I installed morfik, but it doesn't work. It conflicts with my existing
>> Firebird installation. Not a good start :-)
>
> It's easy to fix. You just need to change your Firebird listening port,
> because Morfik's Firebird setting seems unchangeable (fixed), CMIIW. I've
> tried it running on par with my Firebird (1.5.3) installation on a same
> machine without problems.

The problem is not only the port. It's that the gds32.ll in windows\system32
is the wrong version. The morfik executable checks the exact version
number, it seems. If it detects a different version, it stops.

And I cannot change the port number, it would break all my existing
programs. Morfik should realize this and assign a different port
than the standard port, or use a local connection.

Michael.
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Morfik is using FPC compiler

Bee-6
> The problem is not only the port. It's that the gds32.ll in windows\system32
> is the wrong version. The morfik executable checks the exact version number,
> it seems. If it detects a different version, it stops.

Correct. Morfik uses the latest Firebird client library, FB v.2.0 Beta 1. I
found no problem by replacing gds32.dll from FB 1.5.3 with gds32.dll from FB 2.0
B1 in my machine.

> And I cannot change the port number, it would break all my existing programs.
> Morfik should realize this and assign a different port than the standard
> port, or use a local connection.

Hey... what can you expect from a demo beta version? :D It's just for testing
and should not be used or installed on production machine.

This is what I did... I installed it (and do anything required to make it run),
try it out for a couple of hours (to learn its framework concepts), generally
not very much interested with the application (amaze with some its aspects and
concepts though), uninstalled it, revert my machine as before, and... forget it. :)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at
http://beeography.wordpress.com
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Morfik is using FPC compiler

Alexandre Leclerc
In reply to this post by Bee-6
2006/3/25, Bisma Jayadi <[hidden email]>:
> This is really amazing! Morfik is using FPC compiler to be able to target
> multiplatform! Have Morfik people contact FPC team about this? How can FPC
> didn't place any announcement about this?

Wow, I'm impressed by this demo apps.

This weekend I was exactly imaginning how interesting it would be to
"compile" Forms developped in FPC into AJAX / CGI (from PSP) so that
not only we could develop multi-plateform apps, but also web apps at
the same time.

But I see this project as offering something near. (It would be nice
to have an open source project doing this in fact :) )

Best regards.

--
Alexandre Leclerc
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Morfik is using FPC compiler

Bee-6
In reply to this post by Michael Van Canneyt
> Because we don't know about it. I've been keeping an eye on Morfik since
> quite some time, but I didn't know they use FPC. How did you find out ?

Content of "Release_Notes_0_8_6_5.txt" :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Release notes for Morfik AppsBuilder version 0.8.6.5
Release Date: Monday, 27 March 2006

New Features
------------

- Developers can now compile their Morfik project into a native Linux or Windows
executable using exactly the same project source code. (Note that the Linux
compilation requires the Free Pascal compiler. Instructions on how to setup Free
Pascal is be available, if required.) This allows developers the choice of
hosting their Morfik applications on either a Windows or Linux platform.

- Ability to create controls dynamically at run time within the browser.  There
will be a sample project posted on Morfik Labs that will include sample codes
for creating various controls programmatically. This feature is not available
for the following controls: TabControl, DateTimeEdit, ListBox, Flash and Band.
However work is being done to include support for these remaining controls
within the next release.

Bug Fixes
---------

- The TabControl on a form is not active until clicked. This issue, specific to
versions 0.8.5.6- 0.8.6.2, has been fixed.
- Filters in single Forms do not work with text fields. This issue, specific to
versions 0.8.5.6- 0.8.6.2, has been fixed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you know! :)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at
http://beeography.wordpress.com
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Morfik is using FPC compiler

Michael Van Canneyt


On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Bisma Jayadi wrote:

>> Because we don't know about it. I've been keeping an eye on Morfik since
>> quite some time, but I didn't know they use FPC. How did you find out ?
>
> Content of "Release_Notes_0_8_6_5.txt" :
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Release notes for Morfik AppsBuilder version 0.8.6.5
> Release Date: Monday, 27 March 2006
>
> New Features
> ------------
>
> - Developers can now compile their Morfik project into a native Linux or
> Windows executable using exactly the same project source code. (Note that the
> Linux compilation requires the Free Pascal compiler. Instructions on how to
> setup Free Pascal is be available, if required.) This allows developers the
> choice of hosting their Morfik applications on either a Windows or Linux
> platform.
>
> - Ability to create controls dynamically at run time within the browser.
> There will be a sample project posted on Morfik Labs that will include sample
> codes for creating various controls programmatically. This feature is not
> available for the following controls: TabControl, DateTimeEdit, ListBox,
> Flash and Band. However work is being done to include support for these
> remaining controls within the next release.
>
> Bug Fixes
> ---------
>
> - The TabControl on a form is not active until clicked. This issue, specific
> to versions 0.8.5.6- 0.8.6.2, has been fixed.
> - Filters in single Forms do not work with text fields. This issue, specific
> to versions 0.8.5.6- 0.8.6.2, has been fixed.
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Now you know! :)

We sure do :-)

Unfortunately, I had to remove the morfik from my PC. Too much
conflicts with the existing firebird, and both the IDE and
generated forms look totally wrong on my PC. And I do mean
totally: everything is scaled wrong...

It's simply not possible to work with it.
A pity, because I think it is promising technology :/

Michael.
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Morfik is using FPC compiler

Bee-6
> Unfortunately, I had to remove the morfik from my PC. Too much
> conflicts with the existing firebird, and both the IDE and
> generated forms look totally wrong on my PC. And I do mean
> totally: everything is scaled wrong...

It sounds strange to me. :( I've just install this newer version without any
problems and it looks very cool on my machine (winXP SP 2, classic theme,
Firebird 1.5.3 installed and running).

As you are one of FPC core developers, I really hope you can try Morfik and take
something from it that maybe usefull to FPC.

> It's simply not possible to work with it.
> A pity, because I think it is promising technology :/

A pity indeed. :(

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at
http://beeography.wordpress.com
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Morfik is using FPC compiler

Peter Vreman
>> Unfortunately, I had to remove the morfik from my PC. Too much
>> conflicts with the existing firebird, and both the IDE and
>> generated forms look totally wrong on my PC. And I do mean
>> totally: everything is scaled wrong...
>
> It sounds strange to me. :( I've just install this newer version without
> any
> problems and it looks very cool on my machine (winXP SP 2, classic theme,
> Firebird 1.5.3 installed and running).
>
> As you are one of FPC core developers, I really hope you can try Morfik
> and take
> something from it that maybe usefull to FPC.

I see this more as a task for users of FPC and Morfik. We already have too
limited time for FPC itself. The people from Morfik can also search
contact with FPC if they need. Why should we do it.





_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Morfik is using FPC compiler

Michael Van Canneyt
In reply to this post by Bee-6


On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Bisma Jayadi wrote:

> > Unfortunately, I had to remove the morfik from my PC. Too much
> > conflicts with the existing firebird, and both the IDE and
> > generated forms look totally wrong on my PC. And I do mean
> > totally: everything is scaled wrong...
>
> It sounds strange to me. :( I've just install this newer version without any
> problems and it looks very cool on my machine (winXP SP 2, classic theme,
> Firebird 1.5.3 installed and running).

The looks: Windows 2000, LARGE fonts, high DPI setting.

Fails guaranteed for ALL uncarefully coded Delphi programs.
For each form 'Scaled:=FALSE' is needed.
If they skip that: forget it. This is a known Delphi problem since AGES.

The Firebird: I had Firebird 1.5.2 installed.
1. They installed and checked for version 2.0 of Firebird, so I had to
   de-install my firebird (gds32.dll conflict).
2. They do not allow to set the Firebird port of their installation,
   and that is a major flaw. Because changing the port of the existing
   installation is NOT an option.

> As you are one of FPC core developers, I really hope you can try Morfik and take
> something from it that maybe usefull to FPC.

O, but I will definitely continue to try it.
Not only for FPC but also for my 'real' job.

> > It's simply not possible to work with it.
> > A pity, because I think it is promising technology :/
>
> A pity indeed. :(

If you are in contact with the morfik people, you can tell them of my trouble,
I'll be glad to help them solve it.

Michael.
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal