Magnifier vs xmag

I used xmag a lot while coding my new widget set.  It's used to make
sure I am drawing the widgets correctly.  What does the Magnifier tool
written in FPC/Lazarus offer compared to xmag.

Example:
  * Anything that Magnifier does that xmag doesn't?
  * Can Magnifier also show the pixel RGB values, etc.

PS:
  Anybody know or written a tool that can pick a color from anywhere
in the desktop?  I am using Linux. Gimp has a color picker, but it
only works inside a image, and to take a screenshot and then load Gimp
just to pick a color is to much work!

Regards,
  Graeme.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: Magnifier vs xmag

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On 8/5/06, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I used xmag a lot while coding my new widget set.  It's used to make
> sure I am drawing the widgets correctly.  What does the Magnifier tool
> written in FPC/Lazarus offer compared to xmag.
> Example:
>   * Anything that Magnifier does that xmag doesn't?

Unlike most similar programs the magnifier does not open a separate
window for the magnification but instead puts a movable magnifying
glass on screen. So I would say this makes it easier to use.

I allows to dinamically change the magnification factor while
magnifying and can be controles with the keyboard. It is
cross-platform (currently with binaries to win32, freebsd and linux,
but should work on mac os x with Gtk too and on windows CE). It also
includes full user-friendly documentation.

More features on the website: http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/

>   * Can Magnifier also show the pixel RGB values, etc.

The stable version can do that only on Windows.

I just commited a patch that makes it also work on Unixes. It will
require at least Lazarus 0.9.16 to work correctly.

Go to: sourceforge.net/projects/magnifier/ and click on CVS. There you
can find very easy instructions to download the source code from CVS.

You can compile it with a simple "make", or opening the project on
Lazarus IDE. You also need to install it before using, with "make
install".

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Magnifier vs xmag

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On 8/5/06, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just commited a patch that makes it also work on Unixes. It will
> require at least Lazarus 0.9.16 to work correctly.

Lol! I feel like Mattias doing that.

To show the RGB value of the pixel you need to select the "Graphical
Tools" option on the menu of the magnifier on the system tray.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Unlike most similar programs the magnifier does not open a separate
> window for the magnification but instead puts a movable magnifying
> glass on screen. So I would say this makes it easier to use.

Thanks for the info Felipe.  Looking at the website, and the above
mentioned feature (replicating a real-world magnifying glass).  How do
you magnify something in the extreme corners of the screen? Doesn't it
magnify whatever is behind the centre of the magnifying window?  With
the xmag tool, it changes the cursor the a TopLeft (corner) cursor, so
it is easy to magnify screen corners or screen edges.

One last question (I guess I must try it out to answer the rest of my
questions).  I gather it works like a real-world magnifying glass.
Where you move the window, it magnifies the background.  Can you
lock/freeze the image, and move the window do a different location?

PS:
It looks pretty cool though and I like the idea that it is cross-platform.

Regards,
  Graeme.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: Magnifier vs xmag

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On 8/5/06, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do you magnify something in the extreme corners of the screen? Doesn't it
> magnify whatever is behind the centre of the magnifying window?

Yes, it magnifies from the centre of the glass, but the glass can be
partially outsite the desktop area, so we acctually cover the entire
screen. Just try it and this questions should be solved.

> the xmag tool, it changes the cursor the a TopLeft (corner) cursor, so
> it is easy to magnify screen corners or screen edges.

To magnify a screen edge with the magnifier, just move the mouse to it.

> Can you lock/freeze the image, and move the window do a different location?

I did not understand this.

thanks,
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Magnifier vs xmag

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 8/5/06, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
<[hidden email]> > > Can you lock/freeze the image,
and move the window do a different location?

> I did not understand this.

Don't worry, I will install the Magnifier today and see if it answers
my question.  If not...  I'll be back.  ;-)

Graeme.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: Magnifier vs xmag

Jesus Reyes

> I used xmag a lot while coding my new widget set.  It's used to make
> sure I am drawing the widgets correctly.  What does the Magnifier tool
> written in FPC/Lazarus offer compared to xmag.
>
> Example:
>  * Anything that Magnifier does that xmag doesn't?
>  * Can Magnifier also show the pixel RGB values, etc.
>
> PS:
>  Anybody know or written a tool that can pick a color from anywhere
> in the desktop?  I am using Linux. Gimp has a color picker, but it
> only works inside a image, and to take a screenshot and then load Gimp
> just to pick a color is to much work!
>
> Regards,
>  Graeme.
>

> --
> There's no place like 127.0.0.1
I wrote this little program for counting pixels, when you bring the viewer
window to front, you can pick colours for any place of the screen, pressing
SPACE start counting horizontal and vertical pixel offset from the
startpoint.

Jesus Reyes A.

visor.zip (8K) Download Attachment