Linux getifaddrs

Brian
Has anyone translated* getifaddrs* function to Free Pascal ?

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/getifaddrs.3.html

Thanks
Brian

--
Sent from: http://free-pascal-general.1045716.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Linux getifaddrs

Michael Van Canneyt

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018, Brian wrote:

> Has anyone translated* getifaddrs* function to Free Pascal ?
>
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/getifaddrs.3.html

Not to my knowledge.
It's not a kernel function, but a Libc function, as far as I can see ?

Re: Linux getifaddrs

Brian
Do you know of any kernel functions that would return the current IP address
?

Thanks
Brian

--
Sent from: http://free-pascal-general.1045716.n5.nabble.com/
rvk

Re: Linux getifaddrs

rvk
Op 01-03-2018 00:08 schreef Michael Van Canneyt:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2018, Brian wrote:
>
>> Has anyone translated* getifaddrs* function to Free Pascal ?
>>
>> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/getifaddrs.3.html
>
> Not to my knowledge. It's not a kernel function, but a Libc function,
> as far as I can see ?
You might find some more information here:
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,30062.msg190832.html#msg190832

(please note the type for libc.co)

There is also a function in Synapse (ResolveNameToIP()) which could
resolve the localhost to all local IPs.
(and I'm sure there is also something in Indy)

Rik

Re: Linux getifaddrs

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
On 01/03/18 15:15, Brian wrote:
> Do you know of any kernel functions that would return the current IP address?

I think you're looking for something like SIOCGIFADDR in netdevice(7),
but it's not necessarily what you want. You need to take into account
that a single host might have multiple interfaces, and that each
interface might have multiple assigned IP addresses (aliases in IP4
terms). In practical terms you almost always either want to tell a
program which of the available IP addresses to use or let it use
0.0.0.0, and don't for one moment dream of embedding an IP address
inside your comms protocol since you'll end up with a proxying nightmare
like VOIP.

The only time I've really needed to play with this was when trying to
work out a machine's local neighbours so I could see whether they
responded to a non-standard UDP protocol.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: Linux getifaddrs

Brian
Thanks for all the suggestions but , I found and example which I have
modified for my needs. Currently using Synapse but it only returns the
loopback IP address since in my case the ports eth0 and eth1 are both static
IP's.

https://www.mail-archive.com/synalist-public@.../msg03470/getlocalips.lpr

It is a bit odd that something like this isn't incorporated into Free Pascal
sockets.

Thanks
Brian

--