Linux Install: Is it me or the documentation? ;-)

Linux Install: Is it me or the documentation? ;-)

Lev Lafayette-2

First let me say how pleased I am to discover FreePascal. 'Twas my
favourite programming language way back around 1988-89, being the last
time I put my serious programming goggles on.

So I'm trying to set this leopard up on Ubuntu (the Badger variety) and
am following the user manual.

Downloaded the .tar file; extracted to a temporary directory. (p11)

Ran the install script as root (or rather, equivalent thereof)
sudo ./install.sh and accepted all defaults (p12)

Ran the test 'fpc hello' (p14). It fails. Run it will full directory
listing, even tho' config has been written to /etc. Still fails.

Umm... Less than satisfactory, verdade?

Lev

Re: Linux Install: Is it me or the documentation? ;-)

Michael Van Canneyt

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, Lev Lafayette wrote:

> First let me say how pleased I am to discover FreePascal. 'Twas my
> favourite programming language way back around 1988-89, being the last
> time I put my serious programming goggles on.
>
> So I'm trying to set this leopard up on Ubuntu (the Badger variety) and
> am following the user manual.
>
> Downloaded the .tar file; extracted to a temporary directory. (p11)
>
> Ran the install script as root (or rather, equivalent thereof)
> sudo ./install.sh and accepted all defaults (p12)
>
> Ran the test 'fpc hello' (p14). It fails. Run it will full directory
> listing, even tho' config has been written to /etc. Still fails.

Ehm. What is the error you get ?

> Umm... Less than satisfactory, verdade?

Definitely.
Please provide slightly more detail, and we'll see what we can
do to make it a satisfactory experience... :)

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 15:58 +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, Lev Lafayette wrote:
>

> > First let me say how pleased I am to discover FreePascal. 'Twas my
> > favourite programming language way back around 1988-89, being the last
> > time I put my serious programming goggles on.
> >
> > So I'm trying to set this leopard up on Ubuntu (the Badger variety) and
> > am following the user manual.
> >
> > Downloaded the .tar file; extracted to a temporary directory. (p11)
> >
> > Ran the install script as root (or rather, equivalent thereof)
> > sudo ./install.sh and accepted all defaults (p12)
> >
> > Ran the test 'fpc hello' (p14). It fails. Run it will full directory
> > listing, even tho' config has been written to /etc. Still fails.
>
> Ehm. What is the error you get ?

lev@hedgehog:/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.0.4/units$ fpc hello
Free Pascal Compiler version 2.0.4 [2006/08/20] for i386
Copyright (c) 1993-2006 by Florian Klaempfl
Target OS: Linux for i386
Compiling hello.pp
hello.pp(6,3) Error: Can't create object file: hello.o
hello.pp(6,3) Fatal: Can't create object hello.o
hello.pp(6,3) Fatal: Compilation aborted
Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if you
did not specify a source file to be compiled)

Ran it as sudo as well

lev@hedgehog:/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.0.4/units$ sudo fpc hello
Password:
Free Pascal Compiler version 2.0.4 [2006/08/20] for i386
Copyright (c) 1993-2006 by Florian Klaempfl
Target OS: Linux for i386
Compiling hello.pp
Linking hello
hello.pp(6,3) Error: Util ld not found, switching to external linking
Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if you
did not specify a source file to be compiled)

> > Umm... Less than satisfactory, verdade?
>
> Definitely.
> Please provide slightly more detail, and we'll see what we can
> do to make it a satisfactory experience... :)

Excellent! I like this community already ;-)

All the best,

Lev

Re: Linux Install: Is it me or the documentation? ;-)

Alain Vitry
Lev,

You  installed as root. The demo folders have root permissions.
Then you tried to compile as a user, and indeed permission to write
the object was denied.
So you tried a sudo, which was a good idea, but all the environment
information is not set properly in that case.

You may copy the example program to your user home folder, and set
permissions properly (chown -R lev demo/*).
Or you may change permission in the folder you currently work in
( chmod -R a+r *).

If this sound unfamiliar to you, you should read a primer on Unix
permissions.

Hops this helps.
Alain

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Lev Lafayette wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 15:58 +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, Lev Lafayette wrote:
> >

> > > First let me say how pleased I am to discover FreePascal. 'Twas my
> > > favourite programming language way back around 1988-89, being the last
> > > time I put my serious programming goggles on.
> > >
> > > So I'm trying to set this leopard up on Ubuntu (the Badger variety) and
> > > am following the user manual.
> > >
> > > Downloaded the .tar file; extracted to a temporary directory. (p11)
> > >
> > > Ran the install script as root (or rather, equivalent thereof)
> > > sudo ./install.sh and accepted all defaults (p12)
> > >
> > > Ran the test 'fpc hello' (p14). It fails. Run it will full directory
> > > listing, even tho' config has been written to /etc. Still fails.
> >
> > Ehm. What is the error you get ?
>

> lev@hedgehog:/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.0.4/units$ fpc hello
> Free Pascal Compiler version 2.0.4 [2006/08/20] for i386
> Copyright (c) 1993-2006 by Florian Klaempfl
> Target OS: Linux for i386
> Compiling hello.pp
> hello.pp(6,3) Error: Can't create object file: hello.o
> hello.pp(6,3) Fatal: Can't create object hello.o
> hello.pp(6,3) Fatal: Compilation aborted
> Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if you
> did not specify a source file to be compiled)

This is normal, you don't have write permission in usr/local/lib/fpc/2.0.4/units,
it's owned by root.

> Ran it as sudo as well
>
> lev@hedgehog:/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.0.4/units$ sudo fpc hello
> Password:
> Free Pascal Compiler version 2.0.4 [2006/08/20] for i386
> Copyright (c) 1993-2006 by Florian Klaempfl
> Target OS: Linux for i386
> Compiling hello.pp
> Linking hello
> hello.pp(6,3) Error: Util ld not found, switching to external linking
> Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if you
> did not specify a source file to be compiled)

This means you don't have the gnu binutils (as, ld) installed.
Just install them using the Ubuntu package manager, and all
should be well. The package should be called binutils.

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 09:10 +0100, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Lev Lafayette wrote:

> > > Ehm. What is the error you get ?
> >

> > lev@hedgehog:/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.0.4/units$ fpc hello
> > Free Pascal Compiler version 2.0.4 [2006/08/20] for i386
> > Copyright (c) 1993-2006 by Florian Klaempfl
> > Target OS: Linux for i386
> > Compiling hello.pp
> > hello.pp(6,3) Error: Can't create object file: hello.o
> > hello.pp(6,3) Fatal: Can't create object hello.o
> > hello.pp(6,3) Fatal: Compilation aborted
> > Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if you
> > did not specify a source file to be compiled)
>
> This is normal, you don't have write permission in usr/local/lib/fpc/2.0.4/units,
> it's owned by root.

Well that was as expected... I'd be strange if it *did* work ;-)

> > Ran it as sudo as well
> >
> > lev@hedgehog:/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.0.4/units$ sudo fpc hello
> > Password:
> > Free Pascal Compiler version 2.0.4 [2006/08/20] for i386
> > Copyright (c) 1993-2006 by Florian Klaempfl
> > Target OS: Linux for i386
> > Compiling hello.pp
> > Linking hello
> > hello.pp(6,3) Error: Util ld not found, switching to external linking
> > Error: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 returned an error exitcode (normal if you
> > did not specify a source file to be compiled)
>
> This means you don't have the gnu binutils (as, ld) installed.
> Just install them using the Ubuntu package manager, and all
> should be well. The package should be called binutils.

Ahh, cheers. That worked (current installation now on OpenSuSe 10.1 -
Ubuntu upgrade went haywire).

One other query... During installation there was reference to a
TextmodeIDE. I take it this is supposed to be like the MS-Windows IDE
and like the TurboPascal critter from all those years ago, verdade? If
this is so, where does it live in the filesystem? Not that coding in
vi(m)/emacs/pico etc is a problem as such...

All the best,

Lev

Re: Linux Install: Is it me or the documentation? ;-)

Micha Nelissen
Lev Lafayette wrote:
> and like the TurboPascal critter from all those years ago, verdade? If

Yes.

> this is so, where does it live in the filesystem? Not that coding in
> vi(m)/emacs/pico etc is a problem as such...

/usr/bin/fp ? It's named 'fp' in any case.

Micha

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 09:34 +0100, Micha Nelissen wrote:
> Lev Lafayette wrote:
> > and like the TurboPascal critter from all those years ago, verdade? If
>
> Yes.
>
> > this is so, where does it live in the filesystem? Not that coding in
> > vi(m)/emacs/pico etc is a problem as such...
>
> /usr/bin/fp ? It's named 'fp' in any case.

Ahh, found it. /usr/local/bin/fp...

Mmm... shiny.

All the best,

Lev

Re: Linux Install: Is it me or the documentation? ;-)

Bee-6
> Mmm... shiny.

Maybe you should try Lazarus as well, a GUI-RAD based on Free Pascal (FPC).

http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

If you're familiar with Delphi, you might thought Lazarus is a Delphi-like IDE
for FPC. Lazarus is alot shinier than FPC's default text-mode IDE. ;)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 16:36 +0700, Bisma Jayadi wrote:
> > Mmm... shiny.
>
> Maybe you should try Lazarus as well, a GUI-RAD based on Free Pascal (FPC).
>
> http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/
>
> If you're familiar with Delphi, you might thought Lazarus is a Delphi-like IDE
> for FPC. Lazarus is alot shinier than FPC's default text-mode IDE. ;)

At risk of sounding old (and cluttering the list with biog details), I'm
much more familiar with text-mode than Delphi-like IDEs. Apart from a
modicum of PHP/MySQL and shell scripting, Pascal was last bit of "real"
programming I did - and that was about fifteen years ago!

So text-mode and procedural programming for the next few months and then
I'll upgrade to Lazarus and get a hang of this fancy new IDE and OO
programming ;-)

But thanks for the advice just the same!

All the best,

Lev