Linux-64 distro recommendation

Coco Pascal
Hello,

Any recommendation regarding free linux 64 bits desktop and server distros?
Its completely new to me.

Re: Linux-64 distro recommendation

Coco Pascal
Coco Pascal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Any recommendation regarding free linux 64 bits desktop and server
> distros?
> Its completely new to me.
Nobody? I haven't been able yet to install Ubuntu-64 or openSUSE-64 on
my machine. Can I make "pure" 64 bits builds on a 32 bits platform?

Re: Linux-64 distro recommendation

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On 9/5/06, Coco Pascal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nobody?

Well, it´s just that any should work.

> I haven't been able yet to install Ubuntu-64 or openSUSE-64 on
> my machine.

In that case you could test Mandriva 2006 for x86_64

Here are the ISOs:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

> Can I make "pure" 64 bits builds on a 32 bits platform?

You want to cross compile from 32 bits to 64 bits?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Coco Pascal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Nobody?
> In that case you could test Mandriva 2006 for x86_64
>
> Will do.
>> Can I make "pure" 64 bits builds on a 32 bits platform?
>
> You want to cross compile from 32 bits to 64 bits
If "cross compiling" means compiling a 64 bits AMD64 ISA build on a 64
bits machine with a 32 bits os: yes. Should it work?