Licencing software made in Free Pascal

wht244
What type of licence can I use when I use source from directory "source\rtl" and "source\packages"?

Re: Licencing software made in Free Pascal

Henry Vermaak
2009/9/9 wht244 <[hidden email]>:
> What type of licence can I use when I use source from directory "source\rtl" and "source\packages"?

The rtl licence (lgpl) is in rtl/COPYING.

The licence for packages depends on the package you use.  It's
essentially the same as the rtl, I think, but if a package links
against another library with a different licence, you may have to obey
that licence and any restrictions it imposes (example: mysql).

Henry

Re: Licencing software made in Free Pascal

wht244
So, when I want to use libmysql.dll library - I have to make my application run on a GPL licence. Is that right?
And what about sqlite3?

2009/9/9 wht244 <[hidden email]>:
> So, when I want to use libmysql.dll library - I have to make my application run on a GPL licence. Is that right?

As far as I know, yes, or you can obtain a licence from mysql.

> And what about sqlite3?

http://tinyurl.com/q32422

:)

Henry

Re: Licencing software made in Free Pascal

Martin Frb
wht244 wrote:
> So, when I want to use libmysql.dll library - I have to make my application run on a GPL licence. Is that right?
> And what about sqlite3?

If your application merely uses (soft link) the mysql library, then you
should only be bound to the free-pascal part license.  (but users of
your app will have to download and install mysql themself) And this is
only if the actual pascal part does not contain any mysql owned material.

If you link static or plan to redistribute mysql libraries with your
app, then you are bound to both licenses.

(IANAL)
Martin

Re: Licencing software made in Free Pascal

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara-2
wht244 escreveu:
> So, when I want to use libmysql.dll library - I have to make my application run on a GPL licence. Is that right?
>
> And what about sqlite3?

Sqlite is public domain. Use as you want

Luiz

On 09 Sep 2009, at 15:34, Martin wrote:

> wht244 wrote:
>> So, when I want to use libmysql.dll library - I have to make my
>> application run on a GPL licence. Is that right?
>> And what about sqlite3?
>>
> If your application merely uses (soft link) the mysql library, then
> you should only be bound to the free-pascal part license.

That's incorrect. MySql is GPL, not LGPL. That generally mean that as
soon as you link your program to it in any way, your program must be
distributed under a GPL-compatible license.

Exception: Sun defined an exception to this requirement, in that your
program is also allowed to link to the MySQL libraries if your program
is licensed under one of the other licenses listed here: http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception/

2009/9/9 Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]>:

> Exception: Sun defined an exception to this requirement, in that your
> program is also allowed to link to the MySQL libraries if your program is
> licensed under one of the other licenses listed here:
> http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception/

So you can make a small wrapper library for your mysql calls, licence
it under the lgpl, then link against it in your main program, which
enables you to licence your main program as anything you like?

Henry

Re: Licencing software made in Free Pascal

Jonas Maebe-2

On 10 Sep 2009, at 00:00, Henry Vermaak wrote:

> 2009/9/9 Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Exception: Sun defined an exception to this requirement, in that your
>> program is also allowed to link to the MySQL libraries if your
>> program is
>> licensed under one of the other licenses listed here:
>> http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception/
>
> So you can make a small wrapper library for your mysql calls, licence
> it under the lgpl, then link against it in your main program, which
> enables you to licence your main program as anything you like?

Obviously not. If you read the above-linked page, you'll see that it
only applies to applications, not tp libraries.

Furthermore, if you wish to make use of this exception with FPC
programs, you must adhere to the terms of the LGPL (or GPL) rather
than the LGPL+linking exception, since only the former is included in
the list of licenses to which that exception applies.