Lazarus Release 2.0.2

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

Rainer Stratmann
On Dienstag, 16. April 2019 13:07:33 CEST Ralf Quint wrote:
> But I still think that this should not be the default setting...

As you may have not seen while being busy with something else...
I repeat it for you.

On Dienstag, 16. April 2019 20:44:56 CEST Mattias Gaertner via fpc-pascal
wrote:
> It is not a fixed docking. You can undock any window and place them on
> other screens. Or dock only some and place them on another screen.

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 21:13:52 +0200
Rainer Stratmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dienstag, 16. April 2019 21:02:50 CEST Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> > But how can I install/activate it.
>
> I found an instruction, but I got an error:
>
> lazarus.pp(1,1) Fatal: Kann anchordockingdsgn nicht finden verwendet
> von Lazarus. Check if package AnchorDockingDsgn creates
> anchordockingdsgn.ppu, check nothing deletes this file and check that
> no two packages have access to the unit source..

What did you do?

Packages / Install Packages
Select anchordockingdsgn on the right side and click "Install
selection".
Then "Save and rebuild IDE".

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

Benito van der Zander

since I need glasses, it is already troublesome to read a single screen.

With strong glasses just one point on the screen is really sharp and when the glasses shift a little, you end up seeing only on one eye properly

Cheers,
Benito

Am 16.04.19 um 22:17 schrieb Martin Wynne:
I have only 2 eyes, so I'm going to find 3 screens a problem.

Martin.

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2

Bo Berglund
On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 10:24:09 +0200, Mattias Gaertner via fpc-pascal
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Here is the list of fixes for Lazarus 2.0.x:
>http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch

Thanks, I decided to check out the branch 2.0.x rather than tag 2.0.0
and then 2.0.2 etc,
Seems like it would be easier to go forward if one is on the fixes
branch, right?
Just svn update followed by:
make clean
make bigide

It took a little while today since I was on the tag earlier, so I
checked out the fixes branch separately. But going forward I expect a
svn update will run pretty quickly and then a normal make of bigide is
straightforward too.

Thanks for having the repositories available so easily!

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

geneb
On Tue, 16 Apr 2019, Martin Frb wrote:

> On 16/04/2019 22:03, Ralf Quint wrote:
>>
>> Schwachfug. (Bollocks for the Anglophiles around here)
> And for those with American English: B*S*
>
> But I really dont see where to put 2nd, let alone a 3rd  50 inch screen.
> ;) ;) ;)
>
> ... not (unfortunately)

https://www.geneb.org/images/aug-2018-bstation-upd.jpg

Center is 27" 4k, sides and top are 24" 1080p.  The only way to fly. :D

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

http://scarlet.deltasoft.com - Get it _today_!

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

Rainer Stratmann
On Dienstag, 16. April 2019 22:36:07 CEST Mattias Gaertner via fpc-pascal
wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 21:13:52 +0200
>
> Rainer Stratmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Dienstag, 16. April 2019 21:02:50 CEST Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> > > But how can I install/activate it.
> >
> > I found an instruction, but I got an error:
> >
> > lazarus.pp(1,1) Fatal: Kann anchordockingdsgn nicht finden verwendet
> > von Lazarus. Check if package AnchorDockingDsgn creates
> > anchordockingdsgn.ppu, check nothing deletes this file and check that
> > no two packages have access to the unit source..
>
> What did you do?
>
> Packages / Install Packages
> Select anchordockingdsgn on the right side and click "Install
> selection".
> Then "Save and rebuild IDE".

Yes.
I sent you an email to
[hidden email]
Did you receive the email?

> Mattias

Really Strange Speed Problems - FPC & Neural Networks

schuler
Hello,
For the past 10 days, I've seen really strange speed problems at my end.

In 2 Ubuntu virtualbox VMs (16.04 and 18.04), my neural networks are running at half speed than usual. The host is a WIN 10 computer. Neural networks are both CPU and memory bound. Therefore, there is something affecting either CPU or memory.

Testing on Google Cloud, the speed is normal. This made me think that the speed problem was local to the testing environment. Just for peace of mind, I sent a string concatenation algorithm implemented in FPC to a friend to measure speed. To my shock, the same speed problem I was experiencing at my end is also happening at his end. This makes me believe that my problem isn't isolated.

Trying to find why things are slower at my end, I reverted my code to the code I had 4 months ago and also reverted the compiler to the same version I was using before (Stable 3.0.4). There was no luck.

Therefore, something really strange is going on:
  • It's not a compilation problem. I moved binaries from an environment that doesn't have the speed problem to an environment that has the speed problem and I can verify the problem even with a binary built from a good machine.
  • So far, it affects Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 (I haven't tested in other distros). WIN10 is good.
  • A binary that works well on Google Cloud is slow with my own virtualbox VMs 16.04 and 18.04.
  • It also affects at least 1 notebook with Ubuntu 16.04 installed as host OS.
  • My CPU reports: cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf
  • String concatenation is also affected making me to suspect about something wrong at malloc/libc.
  • Numerical results from neural networks are correct. So far, it's a speed problem.
My question to you is: if anyone from you suspects that something might be wrong at OS level affecting either your CPU speed or malloc/libc/memory at your end that might be related to what I'm seeing here, please share. I have algorithms running at my end from a quarter to half of the original speed.

Re: Really Strange Speed Problems - FPC & Neural Networks

Free Pascal - General mailing list
Am 17.04.2019 um 10:01 schrieb Joao Schuler:
> Hello,
It's better not to reply to an existing mail with a completely new
topic, cause now your mail is burrowed deep in the "Lazarus Release
2.0.2" thread.
Better write directly to the list without replying.

On 17/04/2019 10:01, Joao Schuler wrote:
> # My CPU reports: cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf

You can try disabling spectre protections in your Linux installs:
https://access.redhat.com/articles/3311301

Re: Really Strange Speed Problems - FPC & Neural Networks

schuler
Thank you for your help Jonas. It was a good guess. Unfortunately, adding "spectre_v2=off nopti pti=off" didn't help.

On 16/04/2019 19:49, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
>> Anyone who seriously develops software, specially desktop applications,
>> is/should be using at least two (better 3 monitors).
>
> That is completely new for me that the amount of monitors is an indication of
> how professional someone can write good software.

True, there probably is no direct correlation between multiple monitors
and professional developers.....

But G*D damn, having multiple monitors are super useful when it comes to
desktop management. I started off with 2 monitors and 3 virtual desktops
(same apps always on same virtual desktops), and for the last 5 years
have been working on three monitors (hardly ever use virtual desktops
these days). 2 monitors were already a massive upgrade and 3 seems to be
the sweet spot for me (desk space and peripheral vision).

My setup:

  21" vertical on the left (1080x1920)
  27" landscape in the middle (2560x1440)
  21" vertical on the right (1080x1920)

All aligned on the top edge of the monitors.

e-mail client, web browser, console windows, help files (eg: pdfs, chm
or inf) are normally on the outer monitors, and development tools are
always in the middle. I absolutely love this setup!

Regards,
  Graeme

On 16/04/2019 21:18, Tomas Hajny wrote:
> whatever that would be called. Please, stop it (everybody).

Sorry, I read messages in the order my email client sorted them. Only
saw your message after I posted my reply. I'll not take part in futher
off-topic discussions.

Regards,
  Graeme

wrote:
> Packages / Install Packages
> Select anchordockingdsgn on the right side and click "Install
> selection".
> Then "Save and rebuild IDE".

Habe jetzt das ganz neue Debian 10 - mit apt-get install lazarus (2.0.0) - auf
einem Rechner und es so wie oben beschrieben probiert.

Der Complier sagt: kann anchordockpgk nicht finden

Rainer