Lazarus Release 2.0.2

Free Pascal - General mailing list
The Lazarus team is glad to announce the release of Lazarus 2.0.2.

This release was built with FPC 3.0.4.
The previous release Lazarus 2.0.0 was built with FPC 3.0.4 as
well.

Here is the list of changes for Lazarus and Free Pascal:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0.0_release_notes
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0.4

Here is the list of fixes for Lazarus 2.0.x:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch

The release is available for download on SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/

Choose your CPU, OS, distro and then the "Lazarus 2.0.2" directory.

Checksums for the SourceForge files:
http://www.lazarus-ide.org/index.php?page=checksums#2_0_2

Minimum requirements:

Windows:
  2k, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, 32 or 64bit.

FreeBSD/Linux:
  gtk 2.8 for gtk2, qt4.5 for qt, qt5.6 for qt5, 32 or 64bit.

Mac OS X:
  10.5 to 10.12; Carbon (32bit), Cocoa (64bit, beta), qt and qt5 (32 or
  64bit).

The svn tag is
http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags/lazarus_2_0_2

For people who are blocked by SF, the Lazarus releases from SourceForge
are mirrored at: ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/lazarus/releases/
and later at (after some time for synchronization)
http://mirrors.iwi.me/lazarus/

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

Rainer Stratmann
Are there plans to merge some windows?

Like here (best solution):
https://cdn.portableapps.com/GeanyPortable.png

Because I think it is no more up to date.
I don't know any other Software that uses so many windows across the whole
desktop. It would be more userfriendly to merge at least the main window with
the code window. So that on top of the code window there are the buttons of
the main window. Also the output window could be one tab of the search window.

Very often I use the search dialog.

It would be way more userfriendly if the search word (for example) can be
double clicked and then is transferred automatically in a field at the bottom
of the code window.

Like here:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4GQwMug5bzE/VgN5qaECs7I/AAAAAAAAEdM/4jPugE78oWw/
s1600/kate5.png

Or here:
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/uploads/2/1/1/5/21152474/4726430_orig.jpg

On Dienstag, 16. April 2019 13:46:59 CEST Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> buttons of the main window. Also the output window could be one tab of the
> search window.

I mean search result window more precisely.

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

Mgr. Janusz Chmiel
Because I do not see at all and I Am using screen reader NVDA, it would
be ideal, if so much of Lazarus GUI would be 100 % accessible. But I
know, that it is very complex to retain screen readers accessibility,
friendly look for sighted users and fast IDE responsiveness.
For now, I would like to thank you, that you have allowed visually
impaired users to use edit field inside source code wiev. Screen readers
users are even notified about line number on focus. Sure, because it is
not standard Windows Microsoft Edit control, it is impossible to use
CTRL+SHIFT+arrow keys to assign some block of text with screen reader,
but I know, that also commercial Delphi which uses his own controls not
standard Windows controls from Microsoft have similar issue.
The most difficulty question is to determine, what is more complex.
Modify Lazarus component sources or customize NVDA screen reader for
accessibility of non standard controls.

Rainer Stratmann <[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 16. Apr. 2019, 13:47:
Are there plans to merge some windows?

Like here (best solution):
https://cdn.portableapps.com/GeanyPortable.png

Because I think it is no more up to date.
I don't know any other Software that uses so many windows across the whole
desktop. It would be more userfriendly to merge at least the main window with
the code window. So that on top of the code window there are the buttons of
the main window. Also the output window could be one tab of the search window.

You can install the AnchorDockingDsgn package and have all windows integrated (except for forms which need an additional package).

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions (screen reader)

Martin Frb
About ctrl+shift+arrow key: Do you know any documentation on how to
implement this. What API to call, to let the screen reader know?

Also for other modifications needed, any documentation?

--

On 16/04/2019 14:31, Mgr. Janusz Chmiel wrote:

> For now, I would like to thank you, that you have allowed visually
> impaired users to use edit field inside source code wiev. Screen
> readers users are even notified about line number on focus. Sure,
> because it is not standard Windows Microsoft Edit control, it is
> impossible to use CTRL+SHIFT+arrow keys to assign some block of text
> with screen reader, but I know, that also commercial Delphi which uses
> his own controls not standard Windows controls from Microsoft have
> similar issue.
> The most difficulty question is to determine, what is more complex.
> Modify Lazarus component sources or customize NVDA screen reader for
> accessibility of non standard controls.

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

geneb
On Tue, 16 Apr 2019, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

> Are there plans to merge some windows?
>
> Like here (best solution):
> https://cdn.portableapps.com/GeanyPortable.png

Rainer, there's an add-on that's included with Lazarus that will "dock"
all the windows to give a more "modern" Delphi UI vs the standard Delphi 7
UI.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

http://scarlet.deltasoft.com - Get it _today_!

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

Ralf Quint
On 4/16/2019 4:46 AM, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

> Are there plans to merge some windows?
>
> Like here (best solution):
> https://cdn.portableapps.com/GeanyPortable.png
>
> Because I think it is no more up to date.
> I don't know any other Software that uses so many windows across the whole
> desktop. It would be more userfriendly to merge at least the main window with
> the code window. So that on top of the code window there are the buttons of
> the main window. Also the output window could be one tab of the search window.

I seriously hope that this NEVER becomes a default setting for Lazarus.

Anyone who seriously develops software, specially desktop applications,
is/should be using at least two (better 3 monitors). And the "many"
different windows allow easily to spread those out to those various
screens as needed. One screen has the source code and associated
windows, the second one the debugging windows, and the third one has the
actually tested application screen.

Something like this would be a major PITA with those stupid docked
windows. That's only something that makes sense for someone who's
tinkering along on a laptop or such...

Ralf

---

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

Free Pascal - General mailing list
On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 11:37:56 -0700
Ralf Quint <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> Anyone who seriously develops software, specially desktop
> applications, is/should be using at least two (better 3 monitors).
> And the "many" different windows allow easily to spread those out to
> those various screens as needed. One screen has the source code and
> associated windows, the second one the debugging windows, and the
> third one has the actually tested application screen.

It is not a fixed docking. You can undock any window and place them on
other screens. Or dock only some and place them on another screen.

On Dienstag, 16. April 2019 11:37:56 CEST Ralf Quint wrote:
> On 4/16/2019 4:46 AM, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

> Anyone who seriously develops software, specially desktop applications,
> is/should be using at least two (better 3 monitors).

That is completely new for me that the amount of monitors is an indication of
how professional someone can write good software.

> And the "many"
> different windows allow easily to spread those out to those various
> screens as needed. One screen has the source code and associated
> windows, the second one the debugging windows, and the third one has the
> actually tested application screen.

For you that may makes sense.
But for me that seems like pretending who has the biggest car.

On Dienstag, 16. April 2019 14:34:05 CEST Sven Barth via fpc-pascal wrote:
> You can install the AnchorDockingDsgn package and have all windows
> integrated (except for forms which need an additional package).

That sounds good for both use cases.

But how can I install/activate it.

I tried with apt-get install AnchorDockingDsgn
But that does not work.

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

Free Pascal - General mailing list
On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 21:02:50 +0200
Rainer Stratmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dienstag, 16. April 2019 14:34:05 CEST Sven Barth via fpc-pascal
> wrote:
> > You can install the AnchorDockingDsgn package and have all windows
> > integrated (except for forms which need an additional package).
>
> That sounds good for both use cases.
>
> But how can I install/activate it.
>
> I tried with apt-get install AnchorDockingDsgn
> But that does not work.

It's a Lazarus package (lpk).

On Dienstag, 16. April 2019 21:02:50 CEST Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> But how can I install/activate it.

I found an instruction, but I got an error:

lazarus.pp(1,1) Fatal: Kann anchordockingdsgn nicht finden verwendet von
Lazarus. Check if package AnchorDockingDsgn creates anchordockingdsgn.ppu,
check nothing deletes this file and check that no two packages have access to
the unit source..

On 4/16/2019 11:49 AM, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

> On Dienstag, 16. April 2019 11:37:56 CEST Ralf Quint wrote:
>> On 4/16/2019 4:46 AM, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
>> Anyone who seriously develops software, specially desktop applications,
>> is/should be using at least two (better 3 monitors).
> That is completely new for me that the amount of monitors is an indication of
> how professional someone can write good software.
>
>> And the "many"
>> different windows allow easily to spread those out to those various
>> screens as needed. One screen has the source code and associated
>> windows, the second one the debugging windows, and the third one has the
>> actually tested application screen.
> For you that may makes sense.
> But for me that seems like pretending who has the biggest car.

Schwachfug. (Bollocks for the Anglophiles around here)

It's just a very efficient way to work, as you don't have two switch
back and forth between hidden/overlapped windows. A two screen solution
was even available back in the good old days of DOS, when you ran your
application on color (xGA) screen and your debugging and source
window(s) on an additional monchrome (Hercules/MDA) monitor. One of the
reasons why the Borland IDEs where lightyears ahead of Microsoft and the
other guys.

And this not only is an efficient way to program, but also for other,
everyday work. A lot of my clients, once they have used a 2-screen setup
would never go back to a single screen and dread when they have to work
off a single screen laptop (or tablet) for example.

Ralf

---

On 4/16/2019 11:44 AM, Mattias Gaertner via fpc-pascal wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 11:37:56 -0700
> Ralf Quint <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Anyone who seriously develops software, specially desktop
>> applications, is/should be using at least two (better 3 monitors).
>> And the "many" different windows allow easily to spread those out to
>> those various screens as needed. One screen has the source code and
>> associated windows, the second one the debugging windows, and the
>> third one has the actually tested application screen.
> It is not a fixed docking. You can undock any window and place them on
> other screens. Or dock only some and place them on another screen.

Have yet to see this work. I always ran into the problem that I needed
to change the overall graphics driver setting to "full screen" a window
over more than just the active monitor. Which is kind of pointless for
most work with multi-screen setups. I will test this on this latest
Lazarus version sometime later today on one of my secondary PCs.

But I still think that this should not be the default setting...

Ralf

---

On 16/04/2019 22:03, Ralf Quint wrote:

> Schwachfug. (Bollocks for the Anglophiles around here)
And for those with American English: B*S*

But I really dont see where to put 2nd, let alone a 3rd  50 inch screen.
;) ;) ;)

... not (unfortunately)

SCNR

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

martin_wynne
I have only 2 eyes, so I'm going to find 3 screens a problem.

Martin.

On 4/16/2019 1:11 PM, Martin Frb wrote:
> On 16/04/2019 22:03, Ralf Quint wrote:
>>
>> Schwachfug. (Bollocks for the Anglophiles around here)
> And for those with American English: B*S*
>
> But I really dont see where to put 2nd, let alone a 3rd  50 inch
> screen. ;) ;) ;)

Showoff! :P

Ralf ;-)

PS: Seriously, I rather buy 2 (or 3) smaller 24" or 27" monitors than
one 50". Maximizing any window on such a big screen (even if it would
support a pixel resolution that would be the same as 2-3 smaller
screens) is still a HUGE downside, beside the mere cost...

---

Re: Lazarus Release 2.0.2 - suggestions

Tomas Hajny-2
On Tue, April 16, 2019 22:03, Ralf Quint wrote:
> On 4/16/2019 11:49 AM, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
 .
 .
>> That is completely new for me that the amount of monitors is an
>> indication of
>> how professional someone can write good software.
 .
 .
> It's just a very efficient way to work, as you don't have two switch
> back and forth between hidden/overlapped windows. A two screen solution
 .
 .

Could we get back on-topic, please?

First, this is fpc-pascal list, not Lazarus list. Announcement of new
release was OK, discussion about Lazarus IDE features doesn't belong here.

Second, discussion about two options already existing in parallel (docking
and independent windows) might not have too much sense even on a Lazarus
list, but that's just my personal view.

Third, discussion about the most appropriate number of monitors is
completely off-topic unless this is something like alt.ergonomy group or
whatever that would be called. Please, stop it (everybody).

Thanks

Tomas
(one of FPC mailing list moderators)

On 16/04/2019 22:17, Ralf Quint wrote:

> On 4/16/2019 1:11 PM, Martin Frb wrote:
>> On 16/04/2019 22:03, Ralf Quint wrote:
>>>
>>> Schwachfug. (Bollocks for the Anglophiles around here)
>> And for those with American English: B*S*
>>
>> But I really dont see where to put 2nd, let alone a 3rd  50 inch
>> screen. ;) ;) ;)
>
> Showoff! :P
You did read my next line? "not"

> PS: Seriously, I rather buy 2 (or 3) smaller 24" or 27" monitors than
> one 50". Maximizing any window on such a big screen (even if it would
> support a pixel resolution that would be the same as 2-3 smaller
> screens) is still a HUGE downside, beside the mere cost...
You are preaching to the choir

I never maximize any of the IDE windows.
Typically I have 2 source editors, side by side, full height (which
means I need another screen for the IDE main bar, and msg window).

But screens space belongs in the category: You don't miss what you don't
know.
I remember hacking 68k asm on a 14 inch tube.... I was perfectly happy
with then, with the space I had.