It's alive !

Finally, the moment has come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c

Following up on a bounty offered, Dmitry Boyarintsev has accomplished milestone one
in the implementation of FPC's webassembly backend.

And: It's alive ! :-)

The first result can be seen here:

https://www.freepascal.org/~michael/lyff/

Conway's game of life written using FPC:

- FPC itself for the WebAssembly Backend library.
- pas2js for the necessary Javascript front end and GUI code.

Although I can't imagine why you would want to, you can also load the
webassembly from plain Javascript:

https://www.freepascal.org/~michael/lyff/lyffjs.html

Whoever thought Pascal is dead, should now think otherwise.
It's very much alive !

Enjoy,

Michael.

PS. More info about the webassembly efforts will be assembled here:
https://wiki.freepascal.org/WebAssembly
It's a bit cursory at the moment, but will be improved as things evolve -
once it's alive, it tries to stay alive ;)

Re: It's alive !

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR)
Hi,

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> Finally, the moment has come:
>
> Following up on a bounty offered, Dmitry Boyarintsev has accomplished
> milestone one in the implementation of FPC's webassembly backend.
>
> And: It's alive ! :-)

Very cool! I'm so sorry I couldn't tackle this, as I even started working
on it at some point, but when finally it was time to do it, life steered
me elsewhere. I'm very happy someone else picked up the idea and brought
it to first light at least.

Looking forward to contribute to the backend (independent from any bounty)
and help with the trunk integration if you need it.

Charlie

Re: It's alive !

Michael Van Canneyt

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019, Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 21 Sep 2019, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
>> Finally, the moment has come:
>>
>> Following up on a bounty offered, Dmitry Boyarintsev has accomplished
>> milestone one in the implementation of FPC's webassembly backend.
>>
>> And: It's alive ! :-)
>
> Very cool! I'm so sorry I couldn't tackle this, as I even started working
> on it at some point, but when finally it was time to do it, life steered
> me elsewhere. I'm very happy someone else picked up the idea and brought
> it to first light at least.

So am I :)

And as I understood it, Dmitry continued your initial work.

> Looking forward to contribute to the backend (independent from any bounty)
> and help with the trunk integration if you need it.

From my point of view, this should be integrated as soon as possible/allowed in
trunk, and any help (from anyone) is welcome, but I think it is better
to discuss this on the core mailinglist. I don't know the requirements to
integrate a first version in trunk.

Re: [Lazarus] It's alive !

Am 21.09.2019 um 15:22 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus:

> Hello,
>
> Finally, the moment has come:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c
>
> Following up on a bounty offered, Dmitry Boyarintsev has accomplished
> milestone one in the implementation of FPC's webassembly backend.
>
> And: It's alive ! :-)
>
> The first result can be seen here:
>
> https://www.freepascal.org/~michael/lyff/
>
> Conway's game of life written using FPC:
>
> - FPC itself for the WebAssembly Backend library.
> - pas2js for the necessary Javascript front end and GUI code.
>
> Although I can't imagine why you would want to, you can also load the
> webassembly from plain Javascript:
>
> https://www.freepascal.org/~michael/lyff/lyffjs.html
>
> Whoever thought Pascal is dead, should now think otherwise.
> It's very much alive !
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Michael.
>
> PS. More info about the webassembly efforts will be assembled here:
> https://wiki.freepascal.org/WebAssembly
> It's a bit cursory at the moment, but will be improved as things evolve -
> once it's alive, it tries to stay alive ;)

Awesome! Kudos to Dmitry. :)

I'm looking forward to see this integrated into trunk. Implementing the
RTL (at least as much as is possible within the constraints of the
WebAssembly environment) will probably be quite some effort as well. ;)

Re: It's alive !

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 15:22:54 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> The first result can be seen here:
>
> https://www.freepascal.org/~michael/lyff/
>
> Conway's game of life written using FPC:
>
> - FPC itself for the WebAssembly Backend library.
> - pas2js for the necessary Javascript front end and GUI code.

Amazing!
I hope to see it soon in trunk.

Re: [Pas2js] It's alive !

Jean SUZINEAU
Wonderful !

Re: [Pas2js] It's alive !

schuler
I would like to give a try to WebAssembly as a target in my own project ( https://github.com/joaopauloschuler/neural-api  ). From where can I get this compiler?

Re: [Pas2js] It's alive !

Michael Van Canneyt

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019, Joao Schuler wrote:

> I would like to give a try to WebAssembly as a target in my own project (
> https://github.com/joaopauloschuler/neural-api  ). From where can I get
> this compiler?

The link to the wiki page in my mail gives you the needed instructions:

https://wiki.freepascal.org/WebAssembly/Compiler

We're working on integrating it in the trunk compiler.

Re: [Pas2js] It's alive !

Free Pascal - General mailing list
On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 08:01:18 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Sep 2019, Joao Schuler wrote:
>
> > I would like to give a try to WebAssembly as a target in my own
> > project ( https://github.com/joaopauloschuler/neural-api  ). From
> > where can I get this compiler?
> >

> The link to the wiki page in my mail gives you the needed
> instructions:
>
> https://wiki.freepascal.org/WebAssembly/Compiler
>
> We're working on integrating it in the trunk compiler.

It suggest to rename it to "ppwasm". Why not "ppcwasm"?

Re: [Pas2js] It's alive !

Michael Van Canneyt

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019, Mattias Gaertner via fpc-pascal wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 08:01:18 +0200 (CEST)
> Michael Van Canneyt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 29 Sep 2019, Joao Schuler wrote:
>>
>> > I would like to give a try to WebAssembly as a target in my own
>> > project ( https://github.com/joaopauloschuler/neural-api  ). From
>> > where can I get this compiler?
>> >

>> The link to the wiki page in my mail gives you the needed
>> instructions:
>>
>> https://wiki.freepascal.org/WebAssembly/Compiler
>>
>> We're working on integrating it in the trunk compiler.
>
> It suggest to rename it to "ppwasm". Why not "ppcwasm"?

shorter, I suppose. You should ask Dmitry :)

The name is not yet settled.

Re: [Pas2js] It's alive !

Marco van de Voort-2

Op 2019-09-29 om 11:55 schreef Michael Van Canneyt:

>> It suggest to rename it to "ppwasm". Why not "ppcwasm"?
>
> shorter, I suppose. You should ask Dmitry :)
>
> The name is not yet settled.

If it is to be used via the "fpc" frontend binary, ppc* would be better
I guess.

Re: [Pas2js] It's alive !

Michael Van Canneyt

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> Op 2019-09-29 om 11:55 schreef Michael Van Canneyt:
>>
>>> It suggest to rename it to "ppwasm". Why not "ppcwasm"?
>>
>> shorter, I suppose. You should ask Dmitry :)
>>
>> The name is not yet settled.
>>
> If it is to be used via the "fpc" frontend binary, ppc* would be better
> I guess.

I thought so but was not sure. Thanks for confirming that :)