IDE problems and crosscompiling

John Coppens
Hi guys...

I wish it were as simple as the docs say.

On Linux, I type 'fp' and nothing happens - not even the first text
appears on the screen, no CPU activity... Ctrl-C exits.

I even tried to recompile the entire source code, ran the fp there, same
(lack of) luck.

I don't care much for the IDE, but I wanted to cross compile a program
for DOS on my Linux machine, and found 'System unit missing'. I had
installed the complete package automatically, but that contains only the
i386-linux libraries, I suppose.

I cannot find any indication how to make 'make' compile a win32 or dos
version of the system unit. I've checked the Wiki, docs... Am hitting my
head against the monitor now.

Please.
John

Re: IDE problems and crosscompiling

Vincent Snijders
John Coppens wrote:

> Hi guys...
>
> I wish it were as simple as the docs say.
>
> On Linux, I type 'fp' and nothing happens - not even the first text
> appears on the screen, no CPU activity... Ctrl-C exits.
>
> I even tried to recompile the entire source code, ran the fp there, same
> (lack of) luck.
>
> I don't care much for the IDE, but I wanted to cross compile a program
> for DOS on my Linux machine, and found 'System unit missing'. I had
> installed the complete package automatically, but that contains only the
> i386-linux libraries, I suppose.
>
> I cannot find any indication how to make 'make' compile a win32 or dos
> version of the system unit. I've checked the Wiki, docs... Am hitting my
> head against the monitor now.

Maybe a bit outdated, but this information was gold about a year ago,
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Cross_compiling_for_Win32_under_Linux

Also the buildfaq.pdf is a good (and up to date) read, if you want to
know details. Very handy if thing don't work right away.
http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq.pdf

Vincent.

Re: IDE problems and crosscompiling

John Coppens
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:05:56 +0200
Vincent Snijders <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe a bit outdated, but this information was gold about a year ago,
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Cross_compiling_for_Win32_under_Linux
>
> Also the buildfaq.pdf is a good (and up to date) read, if you want to
> know details. Very handy if thing don't work right away.
> http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq.pdf
>
> Vincent.

Hallo Vincent.

Thanks for the info. I don't know how I passed over that item. I guess I
didn't search in the Lazarus Wiki... Maybe this info - which isn't
Lazarus-specific - should really be in the FPC-Wiki? Or at least
crosslinked?

I solved the problem temporarily, compiling the code under DOSEMU. Not
too elegant, but it gives me the possibility to test the .exe's too.

BTW, the IDE under dosemu crashes violently. I read something about
that while looking for the other stuff...

Again thanks,
John

Re: IDE problems and crosscompiling

Tomas Hajny
Date sent:       Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:30:11 -0300
From:           John Coppens <[hidden email]>
To:             FPC-Pascal users discussions <[hidden email]>
Subject:         Re: [fpc-pascal] IDE problems and crosscompiling
Send reply to:   FPC-Pascal users discussions <[hidden email]>
        <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=subscribe>

> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:05:56 +0200
> Vincent Snijders <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Maybe a bit outdated, but this information was gold about a year
> > ago,
> > http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Cross_compiling_for_Win
> > 32_under_Linux
> >
> > Also the buildfaq.pdf is a good (and up to date) read, if you want
> > to know details. Very handy if thing don't work right away.
> > http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq.pdf
>
> Thanks for the info. I don't know how I passed over that item. I guess
> I didn't search in the Lazarus Wiki... Maybe this info - which isn't
> Lazarus-specific - should really be in the FPC-Wiki? Or at least
> crosslinked?

Note that there was already some information regarding cross-
compilation (specifically for documenting Win32 to GO32v2, although
there was some more general information too) in FPC Wiki too
(http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Cross-
compilation_from_Win32_to_GO32v2). I've updated it now little bit by
adding links to ready made cross-tool binaries and the other two
references mentioned above.

Tomas