I thought fpc 3.0 would be compilable from fpc 3.0?

I thought fpc 3.0 would be compilable from fpc 3.0?

Anthony Walter-3
I thought I read on this list somewhere that FPC version 3.0 would be able to compile itself?

I just checked out FPC svn branch fixes 3 0 (version 3.0.1), built using FPC 2.6.4, then check out FPC 3.0 again to another directory after setting my compiler environment to my working 3.0.

When I try to make the freshly checked out 3.0 with the one I just built I get this message:

Makefile:2790: *** The only supported starting compiler version is 2.6.4. You are trying to build with 3.0.1..  Stop.

Re: I thought fpc 3.0 would be compilable from fpc 3.0?

Sven Barth-2

Am 03.12.2015 06:44 schrieb "Anthony Walter" <[hidden email]>:

> I thought I read on this list somewhere that FPC version 3.0 would be able to compile itself?
>
> I just checked out FPC svn branch fixes 3 0 (version 3.0.1), built using FPC 2.6.4, then check out FPC 3.0 again to another directory after setting my compiler environment to my working 3.0.
>
> When I try to make the freshly checked out 3.0 with the one I just built I get this message:
>
> Makefile:2790: *** The only supported starting compiler version is 2.6.4. You are trying to build with 3.0.1..  Stop.

The exact same revision can indeed build itself (after all that's what happens during "make all" anyway), but the makefile can't differentiate the revision. For it 3.0.1 of revision A is the same as 3.0.1 of revision B. Thus we only check for the version and there for the previous release. This specific case would thus be a valid reason to use the OVERRIDEVERSIONCHECK=1 parameter that you'll need to pass to make then.

On 03 Dec 2015, at 06:43, Anthony Walter <[hidden email]> wrote:

I thought I read on this list somewhere that FPC version 3.0 would be able to compile itself?

It is.

You just built "an" FPC 3.0.1, not "the" FPC 3.0.0. Those are two very different things. To build FPC 3.0.0, you have to check out http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_3_0_0/

When I try to make the freshly checked out 3.0 with the one I just built I get this message:

Makefile:2790: *** The only supported starting compiler version is 2.6.4. You are trying to build with 3.0.1..  Stop.

The first part of that message is an artefact related to us sometimes supporting two starting versions (such as right now, when both 2.6.4 and 3.0.0 are supported). In that case the error message only displays one of the two supported versions.

Please do not use the workaround Sven provided, but just start your build with FPC 3.0.0.

Re: I thought fpc 3.0 would be compilable from fpc 3.0?

Anthony Walter-3

Re: I thought fpc 3.0 would be compilable from fpc 3.0?

Anthony Walter-3
Follow up, yes the tags release 3 0 0 worked. Compiled on arm-linux Raspberry Pi 2. Thanks Jonas.

Re: I thought fpc 3.0 would be compilable from fpc 3.0?

Bo Berglund
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 10:32:24 -0500, Anthony Walter
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Follow up, yes the tags release 3 0 0 worked. Compiled on arm-linux
>Raspberry Pi 2. Thanks Jonas.

I am interested in getting a release version of FPC running on my RPi2
with Raspbian Jessie. I have been away so I am a few days late with my
question.
Was your approach this:

1) Install a version 2.6.4 FPC compiler on the Pi.

2) Check out release tag sources using
http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_3_0_0/

3) Use the 2.6.4 compiler to build 3.0.0

4) Check out the sources again and use the newly made compiler to
build it.

Did I get this correct?

PS:
Is there a package available for Debian Jessie on Raspberry Pi2 such
that one does not have to build the compiler at all?
Like getting it via apt:
sudo apt-get install freepascal

DS

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: I thought fpc 3.0 would be compilable from fpc 3.0?

Pierre Muller
I just uploaded a raspberry 1 fpc-3.0.0 installation tar file
in dist/3.0.0/arm-linux directory on ftp.freepascal.org.

The IDE crashes when you try to debug a program within it,
but otherwise it should work ...
I will generate a testsuite run to see if there are specific issues.

Pierre Muller