How to run FPC 2.x on QNX

Michael Müller-4
Hi,

we are developing a console application under Delphi. The main task is
to use it under Windows. But there are some situations where we need
to run it under the realtime OS QNX. This is the reason why we use FPC
1.0.x. But it lacks some interesting features like dynamic arrays.

I know that QNX isn't official supported anymore. But do you see any
chances that it would be possible for us to make the needed changes to
compile FPC under QNX? Many things are Unix like and QNX supports
POSIX. So where are the difficulties to support QNX?

I didn't subscribe to the list. So please CC me in your anwser.

Regards

Michael

Re: How to run FPC 2.x on QNX

Peter Vreman
> Hi,
>
> we are developing a console application under Delphi. The main task is
> to use it under Windows. But there are some situations where we need
> to run it under the realtime OS QNX. This is the reason why we use FPC
> 1.0.x. But it lacks some interesting features like dynamic arrays.
>
> I know that QNX isn't official supported anymore. But do you see any
> chances that it would be possible for us to make the needed changes to
> compile FPC under QNX? Many things are Unix like and QNX supports
> POSIX. So where are the difficulties to support QNX?

There are no difficulties. It only takes some time to port and to maintain
it afterwards. See the solaris/sunos port in the FPC 2.1.1 tree what needs
to be done for a port based on libc. It is not much, the solaris RTL is
less than 100Kb mainly filled with record type definitions. The files are:

compiler/systems/?_sunos.pas
rtl/solaris/*