How to find a graphic element in the form editor?

How to find a graphic element in the form editor?

Jürgen Hestermann
When I want to add a graphic element like TFileNameEdit which I have already
used in other programs in the form editor I don't know how to find it in the menu.
I am clicking on each tab one after the other then hovering over each element
to see whether it is what I am searching for.
This is more than awkward and maybe I am overlooking something.
But if that's the only way to find graphic elements it needs improvement I think.
I know the name of the element I want to use (I can look in the code) but the
icons don't tell me anything and many look very similar.
A sorted list of all names would be much better to have.
Or does this already exist?

Re: How to find a graphic element in the form editor?

Howard Page-Clark
On 07/8/12 1:10, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
> When I want to add a graphic element like TFileNameEdit which I have
> already
> used in other programs in the form editor I don't know how to find it in
> the menu.

Although this is the fpc list you mention a LCL component and the form
editor, so I presume you are using Lazarus.
Use View | Components (shortcut Ctrl Alt P), and type 'filen' in the
filter edit.
It takes you straight there.

Howard

Am 2012-08-07 14:20, schrieb Howard Page-Clark:

> On 07/8/12 1:10, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
>> When I want to add a graphic element like TFileNameEdit which I have
>> already
>> used in other programs in the form editor I don't know how to find it in
>> the menu.
>
> Although this is the fpc list you mention a LCL component and the form editor, so I presume you are using Lazarus.
> Use View | Components (shortcut Ctrl Alt P), and type 'filen' in the filter edit.
> It takes you straight there.

Thanks for the answer, Howard.
Yes, that's exactly what I was searching for.

I never care much about the different lists because
for me they all serve the same purpose (programming in Pascal).
But I try to be more careful with them the next time.

On 7 August 2012 13:20, Howard Page-Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Use View | Components (shortcut Ctrl Alt P), and type 'filen' in the filter
> edit.

Wow, and so we learn something new.  :-)

Re: How to find a graphic element in the form editor?

Mattias Gaertner

Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> hat am 7. August 2012 um 16:48 geschrieben:> On 7 August 2012 13:20, Howard Page-Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Use View | Components (shortcut Ctrl Alt P), and type 'filen' in the filter
> > edit.
>
> Wow, and so we learn something new. :-)

Maybe interesting:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/IDE_tricks#Component_palette