How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

Bo Berglund
I want to check my options regarding Lazarus and FPC.

If I develop a program on Windows Lazarus, move it to Debian Lazarus
(x86) and then finally want to compile on ARM on for example Raspberry
Pi but outside of Lazarus, how is that done?
Does FPC recognize the Lazarus project file such that paths etc are
observed?
Or is thare a separate file for FPC I have to prepare in order to set
the unit paths?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2015-09-24 14:48, Bo Berglund wrote:
> Does FPC recognize the Lazarus project file such that paths etc are
> observed?

No, FPC knows nothing about Lazarus project files. In Lazarus IDE you
can go to Project Options, and then click on the "Show Options" button
and the bottom of that dialog.  Copy and paste that into a shell script
which you can then run.

You would obviously have to adjust some paths.

Maximus IDE and MSEide makes this slightly easier than Lazarus. They
both have a similar "show options" button, but don't use "packages". So
the results they generate include every single Unit Path and Include
Path and other compiler settings you need to compile your project.

maximus.png (32K) Download Attachment

Re: How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

> No, FPC knows nothing about Lazarus project files. In Lazarus IDE you
> can go to Project Options, and then click on the "Show Options" button
> and the bottom of that dialog.  Copy and paste that into a shell script
> which you can then run.
>
> You would obviously have to adjust some paths.
>
> Maximus IDE and MSEide makes this slightly easier than Lazarus. They
> both have a similar "show options" button, but don't use "packages". So
> the results they generate include every single Unit Path and Include
> Path and other compiler settings you need to compile your project.

Lazarus has lazbuild to simply compile a project from the commandline.

On 2015-09-24 15:03, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> Lazarus has lazbuild to simply compile a project from the commandline.

How is it going to know where to find packages if you haven't run the
Lazarus IDE and loaded those packages at least once? I'm thinking in
terms of a headless build-server.

Re: How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

gabor-10
lazbuild has option "--add-package"

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 2015-09-24 15:03, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> Lazarus has lazbuild to simply compile a project from the commandline.
>

> How is it going to know where to find packages if you haven't run the
> Lazarus IDE and loaded those packages at least once? I'm thinking in
> terms of a headless build-server.

Easy:

You just need to compile all packages once using lazbuild. That is enough.

Re: How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

wkitty42
On 09/24/2015 09:48 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> I want to check my options regarding Lazarus and FPC.
>
> If I develop a program on Windows Lazarus, move it to Debian Lazarus
> (x86) and then finally want to compile on ARM on for example Raspberry
> Pi but outside of Lazarus, how is that done?

the lpr file contains the initial pascal code for the project...

> Does FPC recognize the Lazarus project file such that paths etc are
> observed?

do you mean those in the lpi xml file? not as far as i know... it is extraneous
outside of lazarus...

> Or is thare a separate file for FPC I have to prepare in order to set
> the unit paths?

i specify them on the command line or add them to the "local to the project"
fpc.cfg file...

i have a few projects that i copy from winwhatever and *nix lazarus to OS/2 for
compiling in that environment so i'm familiar with the situation because lazarus
is not available for OS/2... i copy the lpr and any other code files... then
possibly adjust a local fpc.cfg unless the system-wide one works for this
project, and finally compile...

fpc -B myproject.lpr

i actually have a script that i build with so as to get a log if/when i need it...

===== 4OS2 cmd script =====

@echo off
if exist *.o   del /q *.o
if exist *.ppu del /q *.ppu
set fpcopts=-vehinw -B -CF64 -Fulibs\neededlib -omyprojectp.exe
iff '%1' eq '' .or. %@lower['%1'] eq 'debug' then
   set fpcopts=%fpcopts -ghl -dDEBUG
else
   set fpcopts=%fpcopts -dRELEASE
endiff
rem echo compiling command line to log file... '^' is escape in 4OS2 for literal
chars
echo fpc %fpcopts myproject.lpr ^|^& tee /a builditp.log | tee builditp.log
echo. | tee /a builditp.log
echo on
rem execute compiling command line
fpc %fpcopts myproject.lpr |& tee /a builditp.log
@unset fpcopts

===== /4OS2 cmd script =====

On 09/24/2015 10:03 AM, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In our previous episode, Graeme Geldenhuys said:
>> No, FPC knows nothing about Lazarus project files. In Lazarus IDE you
>> can go to Project Options, and then click on the "Show Options" button
>> and the bottom of that dialog.  Copy and paste that into a shell script
>> which you can then run.
>>
>> You would obviously have to adjust some paths.
>>
>> Maximus IDE and MSEide makes this slightly easier than Lazarus. They
>> both have a similar "show options" button, but don't use "packages". So
>> the results they generate include every single Unit Path and Include
>> Path and other compiler settings you need to compile your project.
>
> Lazarus has lazbuild to simply compile a project from the commandline.

but you have to have lazarus which is not available for all environments...

eg: OS/2

Re: How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

Michael Van Canneyt

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015, waldo kitty wrote:

> On 09/24/2015 10:03 AM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> In our previous episode, Graeme Geldenhuys said:
>>> No, FPC knows nothing about Lazarus project files. In Lazarus IDE you
>>> can go to Project Options, and then click on the "Show Options" button
>>> and the bottom of that dialog.  Copy and paste that into a shell script
>>> which you can then run.
>>>
>>> You would obviously have to adjust some paths.
>>>
>>> Maximus IDE and MSEide makes this slightly easier than Lazarus. They
>>> both have a similar "show options" button, but don't use "packages". So
>>> the results they generate include every single Unit Path and Include
>>> Path and other compiler settings you need to compile your project.
>>
>> Lazarus has lazbuild to simply compile a project from the commandline.
>
> but you have to have lazarus which is not available for all environments...
>
> eg: OS/2

Since the projects in question are lazarus projects to begin with, this is a non-issue.

On 2015-09-24 16:14, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> Since the projects in question are lazarus projects to begin with, this is a non-issue.

Yes for LCL based apps. If I had to be technical... Lazarus IDE can
"manage" other non-LCL apps too, and those can include packages etc etc.
So you still have a project file and such.  The original message in this
thread never said it was a LCL application.  ;-) So Waldo's concern is
still a valid point.

Is lazbuild a pure console application? If so, no problem, but my guess
is that it still uses the LCL somewhere (ie: NoGUI widget type).  I've
never used lazbuild personally, so I don't actually know.

On 09/24/2015 11:14 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015, waldo kitty wrote:
>> On 09/24/2015 10:03 AM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>>> Lazarus has lazbuild to simply compile a project from the commandline.
>>
>> but you have to have lazarus which is not available for all environments...
>>
>> eg: OS/2
>
> Since the projects in question are lazarus projects to begin with, this is a
> non-issue.

one might think that but it is not always the case... i generally start a
project in lazarus on winwhatever or *nix... even when it is destined solely for
the OS/2 environment... are my projects started this way not "lazarus projects"? ;)

Re: How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

Tony Whyman
Rather than going down the lazbuild path as others have suggested, you
might want to think about fpcmake and creating a "Makefile.fpc" for your
project. That should be the standard way of building a lazarus project
just using fpc.

You will need to write a Makefile.fpc that does the same job as the
lazarus .lpi file and include the LCL and components you use in the
search paths but once you have done it once, its very easy to copy and
paste to then next project. Here's a snippet that I often use:

[compiler]
options= -Scghi -O3 -CX -Xs -vewnhi -l -dUseCThreads -dLCL
-dLCL$(INTERFACE)
unittargetdir=units/$(CPU_TARGET)-$(OS_TARGET)
unitdir= $(LZSOURCE) .

[target]
programs=myprogram

where I have defined under [prerules}

SRCDIR=/my/path/to/lazarus

LZSOURCE=\
$(SRCDIR)/lazarus/components/cairocanvas/lib/$(CPU_TARGET)-$(OS_TARGET)/$(INTERFACE)
\
$(SRCDIR)/lazarus/components/lazcontrols/lib/$(CPU_TARGET)-$(OS_TARGET)/$(INTERFACE)
\
$(SRCDIR)/lazarus/components/ideintf/units/$(CPU_TARGET)-$(OS_TARGET)/$(INTERFACE)
\
$(SRCDIR)/lazarus/packager/units/$(CPU_TARGET)-$(OS_TARGET)/ \
$(SRCDIR)/lazarus/lcl/units/$(CPU_TARGET)-$(OS_TARGET)/ \
$(SRCDIR)/lazarus/components/lazutils/lib/$(CPU_TARGET)-$(OS_TARGET)/ \
$(SRCDIR)/lazarus/lcl/units/$(CPU_TARGET)-$(OS_TARGET)/$(INTERFACE) \
$(SRCDIR)/lazarus/components/memds/lib/$(CPU_TARGET)-$(OS_TARGET)/$(INTERFACE)
\
$(SRCDIR)/lazarus/components/printers/lib/$(CPU_TARGET)-$(OS_TARGET)/$(INTERFACE)

Note that this includes a few common components. You need to include the
path to each component you are using which may vary from the above. The
above also assumes that the components have already been compiled -
which should be true if they are included in the IDE.

To build for a GTK2 target, you will then need to run:

export FPCDIR=/usr/lib/fpc/`fpc -iV`
fpcmake  Makefile.fpc
make INTERFACE=gtk2

If you are running on Windows then you will do something like:
FPCDIR=<whereever fpc is>
fpcmake  Makefile.fpc
make INTERFACE=win32

I tend to perform Windows builds using a cross compiler on Linux,
because its so much easier to script. The you will call something like:

export FPCDIR=/usr/lib/fpc/`fpc -iV`
fpcmake -r -Ti386-win32 Makefile.fpc
make OS_TARGET=win32 CPU_TARGET=i386 BINUTILSPREFIX=amd64-mingw32msvc-
INTERFACE=win32

Tony Whyman
MWA

On 24/09/15 14:48, Bo Berglund wrote:

> I want to check my options regarding Lazarus and FPC.
>
> If I develop a program on Windows Lazarus, move it to Debian Lazarus
> (x86) and then finally want to compile on ARM on for example Raspberry
> Pi but outside of Lazarus, how is that done?
> Does FPC recognize the Lazarus project file such that paths etc are
> observed?
> Or is thare a separate file for FPC I have to prepare in order to set
> the unit paths?

Re: How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

Sven Barth-2

Am 24.09.2015 18:00 schrieb "Tony Whyman" <[hidden email]>:

> Rather than going down the lazbuild path as others have suggested, you might want to think about fpcmake and creating a "Makefile.fpc" for your project. That should be the standard way of building a lazarus project just using fpc.

In that case I'd suggest fpmake instead (especially since we've reduced the dependency on fpcmake in 3.0.0 in favor of fpmake). The build script is a Pascal program and no need for make, etc. at all.

Re: How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

Mattias Gaertner
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 16:21:31 +0100
Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2015-09-24 16:14, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> > Since the projects in question are lazarus projects to begin with, this is a non-issue.
>
> Yes for LCL based apps. If I had to be technical... Lazarus IDE can
> "manage" other non-LCL apps too, and those can include packages etc etc.
> So you still have a project file and such.  The original message in this
> thread never said it was a LCL application.  ;-) So Waldo's concern is
> still a valid point.
>
> Is lazbuild a pure console application?

Yes.

> If so, no problem, but my guess
> is that it still uses the LCL somewhere (ie: NoGUI widget type).

Yes, it (still) needs some LCL units, but no gui libs.

> I've never used lazbuild personally, so I don't actually know.

Re: How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

Bo Berglund
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:48:32 -0400, Bo Berglund
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I want to check my options regarding Lazarus and FPC.
>
>If I develop a program on Windows Lazarus, move it to Debian Lazarus
>(x86) and then finally want to compile on ARM on for example Raspberry
>Pi but outside of Lazarus, how is that done?
>Does FPC recognize the Lazarus project file such that paths etc are
>observed?
>Or is thare a separate file for FPC I have to prepare in order to set
>the unit paths?

I see from some replies that I was not complete in my formulations...
What I wanted to ask was what steps I need to take in order to do the
final compilation on a *headless* ARM platform such as RaspBerry Pi2
where FPC has been installed but nothing else.
The development itself would be done in Lazarus (on Windows and
LinuxMint x86) in order to get the IDE help.
The application itself is a completely GUI-less program (the original
on Windows is a service application). It only needs the TCP/IP socket
functionality apart from the built-in processing of the application.
For this I am sure I also need threads.

So for clarity:
- Present code sits in Delphi on Windows
- I will first port it over to Lazarus/FPC on Windows as a console
program
- Then the next move is to go to Linux on the same platform (x86)
- Finally, when all is working I will need to compile on a headless
platform that does not have Lazarus installed (RPi2). THe only access
is SSH using PuTTY.

If absolutely necessary I will have to set up the RPi with a monitor,
keyboard and mouse and install Lazarus and compile from there. But RPi
is not as powerful a computer as the PC and it will probably be very
slow if at all working....

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

Martin Schreiber-2
On Friday 25 September 2015 03:52:25 Bo Berglund wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:48:32 -0400, Bo Berglund
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >I want to check my options regarding Lazarus and FPC.
> >
> >If I develop a program on Windows Lazarus, move it to Debian Lazarus
> >(x86) and then finally want to compile on ARM on for example Raspberry
> >Pi but outside of Lazarus, how is that done?
> >Does FPC recognize the Lazarus project file such that paths etc are
> >observed?
> >Or is thare a separate file for FPC I have to prepare in order to set
> >the unit paths?
>
> I see from some replies that I was not complete in my formulations...
> What I wanted to ask was what steps I need to take in order to do the
> final compilation on a *headless* ARM platform such as RaspBerry Pi2
> where FPC has been installed but nothing else.
> The development itself would be done in Lazarus (on Windows and
> LinuxMint x86) in order to get the IDE help.

Please remember my recommendation of cross development and debugging Linux X86
PC -> Raspberry Pi with MSEide and cross FPC.

http://www.mail-archive.com/lazarus%40lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/msg50406.html

Martin

On 2015-09-25 02:52, Bo Berglund wrote:
> If absolutely necessary I will have to set up the RPi with a monitor,
> keyboard and mouse and install Lazarus and compile from there.

No need. Simply follow my instructions from my first reply in this
thread. Use the "show options" on your Linux system. Save those to a
file, tweak some paths to match your RPi, make the file executable on
the RPi and run.

Threads support under Unix-like systems is enabled by including the
cthreads unit as the first unit in your program.

uses
  {$IFDEF UNIX}
  cthreads,
  {$ENDIF}
  Classes,
  SysUtils,
  ...snip...

Re: How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Bo Berglund wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:48:32 -0400, Bo Berglund
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I want to check my options regarding Lazarus and FPC.
>>
>> If I develop a program on Windows Lazarus, move it to Debian Lazarus
>> (x86) and then finally want to compile on ARM on for example Raspberry
>> Pi but outside of Lazarus, how is that done?
>> Does FPC recognize the Lazarus project file such that paths etc are
>> observed?
>> Or is thare a separate file for FPC I have to prepare in order to set
>> the unit paths?
>
> I see from some replies that I was not complete in my formulations...
> What I wanted to ask was what steps I need to take in order to do the
> final compilation on a *headless* ARM platform such as RaspBerry Pi2
> where FPC has been installed but nothing else.
> The development itself would be done in Lazarus (on Windows and
> LinuxMint x86) in order to get the IDE help.
> The application itself is a completely GUI-less program (the original
> on Windows is a service application). It only needs the TCP/IP socket
> functionality apart from the built-in processing of the application.
> For this I am sure I also need threads.
>
> So for clarity:
> - Present code sits in Delphi on Windows
> - I will first port it over to Lazarus/FPC on Windows as a console
> program
> - Then the next move is to go to Linux on the same platform (x86)
> - Finally, when all is working I will need to compile on a headless
> platform that does not have Lazarus installed (RPi2). THe only access
> is SSH using PuTTY.

Does the program use any Lazarus or LCL (Lazarus Class Libraries)
facilities? if not then you can simply use FPC from the command line, if
necessary getting library paths etc. using Lazarus's "Show Options" button.

> If absolutely necessary I will have to set up the RPi with a monitor,
> keyboard and mouse and install Lazarus and compile from there. But RPi
> is not as powerful a computer as the PC and it will probably be very
> slow if at all working....

Absolute rubbish. I've not tried logging into an RPi using VNC or
(remote) X11 (i.e. XDMCP etc.) but it's entirely feasible to tunnel the
IDE over SSH, or to do a command-line build (lazbuild) over SSH- I do
this as routine. The only requirement is that the RPi must have enough
RAM+swap set up if the program is of significant size... you'll know if
you need it since you'll see messages about being unable to invoke the
external assembler or linker.

You /do/ appreciate that you can tunnel the X11 user interface across
SSH, and that most distreaux enable this by default, don't you?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: How to compile Lazarus program using only FPC?

Michael Schnell
On 09/25/2015 03:52 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> If absolutely necessary I will have to set up the RPi with a monitor,
> keyboard and mouse and install Lazarus and compile from there. But RPi
> is not as powerful a computer as the PC and it will probably be very
> slow if at all working....
"Lazarus" is the name for two completely different things

1) the IDE
2) the LCL library.

If you just want to compile a project that needs the LCL, you don't need
to start the IDE, but you can compile the project from the command line
using just fpc.

-Michael

Am 25.09.2015 11:04 schrieb "Michael Schnell" <[hidden email]>:

> On 09/25/2015 03:52 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>
>> If absolutely necessary I will have to set up the RPi with a monitor, keyboard and mouse and install Lazarus and compile from there. But RPi is not as powerful a computer as the PC and it will probably be very slow if at all working....
>
> "Lazarus" is the name for two completely different things
>
> 1) the IDE
> 2) the LCL library.

"Lazarus" is not the name of the LCL. "Lazarus" might be part of the name "Lazarus Component Library", but it's not /the/ name. So please don't introduce confusion where there is none.