How to choose a free software license (was LGPL vs MPL)

How to choose a free software license (was LGPL vs MPL)

I finally found a website that describes the licenses in plain English
which is easy to understand.  I always struggle to understand the
different licenses and how to decide on a license for my software I
develop.

Hope others will find the link useful.

http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/rants/license.html

--
Graeme Geldenhuys
There's no place like S34° 03.168'  E018° 49.342'

Re: How to choose a free software license (was LGPL vs MPL)

Gustavo Enrique Jimenez

I finally found a website that describes the licenses in plain English
which is easy to understand.  I always struggle to understand the
different licenses and how to decide on a license for my software I
develop.

Hope others will find the link useful.

http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/rants/license.html

when in doubt, I use LGPL

Gustavo

Re: How to choose a free software license (was LGPL vs MPL)

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 12/26/06, Gustavo Enrique Jimenez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> when in doubt, I use LGPL

Unfortunately Gustavo, it isn't that simple.  :-)
Take the fpGUI widget set I am working on.  As it stands now, when you
create applications using the fpGUI widget set, it compiles straight
into you code, not as a separate linked library.

This means, using the stock standard LGPL, nobody may write commercial
(closed source) applications using the fpGUI widget set!  This is
stupid and not what I intended.

I want the developer to use the fpGUI widget set as they please, but
whatever they change or add to the widget set needs to be published.
For this to work I had to use the Modified LGPL (as used by Lazarus
and FPC) or use the MPL license.