Graphics in Linux?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Graphics in Linux?

Rainer Hantsch
Hi!

I want to write a little program for visualizing all moves of a CNC machine on
LINUX.
Actually it would be more than sufficient when that what the good old "graph"
unit of TurboPascal/DOS would be available, because all I need is simple
pixel graphics.

With my change to FreePascal and Linux (which is many years ago), I were not
able to do anything with graphics (was not really required), but now I have no
alternate option.
.) Is someting available meanwhile? (and what?)
.) Is something for OOP programming out? Most my programs don't use classes
   so it should not force me to use them. Best would really be some kind
   of "graph" emulation.


Could you (if something _working_ is already available), please, leave me a
link to it and - please - leave me a short example-source?

Thanks in advance.

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

--
.---------------------------------------------------------------------.
|      \\|//              Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software |
|      (o o)        Service - Support - WEB-Design und Programmierung |
|--oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------------------------------------------------|
| Ing. Rainer HANTSCH |  mail: [hidden email]                   |
| Khunngasse 21/20    |   www: http://www.hantsch.co.at               |
| A-1030 Vienna       |   tel: +43-1-79885380    fax: +43-1-798853818 |
| ** A u s t r i a ** | handy: +43-664-9194382   UID-Nr: ATU 11134002 |
'---------------------------------------------------------------------'

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Graphics in Linux?

Peter Andersen
Rainer Hantsch wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I want to write a little program for visualizing all moves of a CNC machine on
> LINUX.
> Actually it would be more than sufficient when that what the good old "graph"
> unit of TurboPascal/DOS would be available, because all I need is simple
> pixel graphics.
>
> With my change to FreePascal and Linux (which is many years ago), I were not
> able to do anything with graphics (was not really required), but now I have no
> alternate option.
> .) Is someting available meanwhile? (and what?)
> .) Is something for OOP programming out? Most my programs don't use classes
>    so it should not force me to use them. Best would really be some kind
>    of "graph" emulation.
>
>

You should take a look at the dokumatation in the units.pdf there is lot
of "GRAPH" it is in chapter 8. It is just like the old days with TP6.0

--
/ Peter Andersen
/ Skanderborg
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Graphics in Linux?

Rainer Hantsch
Hi, Peter!

When nothing "dramatic" has changed (and I do not remember to have even heared
about any attempt to get this fixed from Michael), the graph unit will still
only be usable for DOS and (maybe) for windows, but not for LINUX.

Because I use a 100% Linux environment, this means in fact, that graph is not
existing for me when it is not able to hook into X11 and simulate there
somehow a graphics display. And exactly this does not work. :-/


On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Peter Andersen wrote:
| You should take a look at the dokumatation in the units.pdf there is lot
| of "GRAPH" it is in chapter 8. It is just like the old days with TP6.0



mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

--
.---------------------------------------------------------------------.
|      \\|//              Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software |
|      (o o)        Service - Support - WEB-Design und Programmierung |
|--oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------------------------------------------------|
| Ing. Rainer HANTSCH |  mail: [hidden email]                   |
| Khunngasse 21/20    |   www: http://www.hantsch.co.at               |
| A-1030 Vienna       |   tel: +43-1-79885380    fax: +43-1-798853818 |
| ** A u s t r i a ** | handy: +43-664-9194382   UID-Nr: ATU 11134002 |
'---------------------------------------------------------------------'

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Graphics in Linux?

Peter Andersen
Rainer Hantsch wrote:
> Hi, Peter!
>
> When nothing "dramatic" has changed (and I do not remember to have even heared
> about any attempt to get this fixed from Michael), the graph unit will still
> only be usable for DOS and (maybe) for windows, but not for LINUX.

Here you are wrong :)  It's working in linux that's for sure (i am using
  it) But that is on a svga console. Display 800x600 and 256 color.


> Because I use a 100% Linux environment, this means in fact, that graph is not
> existing for me when it is not able to hook into X11 and simulate there
> somehow a graphics display. And exactly this does not work. :-/

Ok so what you ned is something that are easy as the graph unit but can
run under X11 in a xterm or what. If this is what you are looking for
then please let me know if you find anything. Because i have not found
it yet :)  But i am still seaching.

--
/ Peter Andersen
/ Skanderborg
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Graphics in Linux?

Michalis Kamburelis
In reply to this post by Rainer Hantsch
Rainer Hantsch wrote:

> Hi, Peter!
>
> When nothing "dramatic" has changed (and I do not remember to have even heared
> about any attempt to get this fixed from Michael), the graph unit will still
> only be usable for DOS and (maybe) for windows, but not for LINUX.
>
> Because I use a 100% Linux environment, this means in fact, that graph is not
> existing for me when it is not able to hook into X11 and simulate there
> somehow a graphics display. And exactly this does not work. :-/
>

Use SDL if you want good modern library for 2d graphics (and some other
things). Pascal bindings are available. I use jedi-sdl bindings (CVS
version), they work perfectly with FPC under Linux, FreeBSD and Windows
(and probably many other platforms too).

Michalis
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Graphics in Linux?

Rainer Hantsch
In reply to this post by Peter Andersen
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Peter Andersen wrote:

| Rainer Hantsch wrote:
| Here you are wrong :)  It's working in linux that's for sure (i am using
| it) But that is on a svga console. Display 800x600 and 256 color.

Well, this is actually useless because it only works on the local display. I
would loose/miss all advantages of X11, i.e. to be able to oberate an
applicatin over a network from anywhere.

| > Because I use a 100% Linux environment, this means in fact, that graph is
| > not existing for me when it is not able to hook into X11 and simulate
| > there somehow a graphics display. And exactly this does not work. :-/
|
| Ok so what you ned is something that are easy as the graph unit but can
| run under X11 in a xterm or what. If this is what you are looking for
| then please let me know if you find anything. Because i have not found
| it yet :)  But i am still seaching.

Yes, this is exactly what I am looking for.

What I wonder is that nobody found a way to open a X11 window redirect all
this stuff from/to it, since I started with Linux and FreePascal. -- And this
is more than 6 years ago.

All what would be required would be some kind of graphX unit, which actually
takes over the keyboard, mouse and graphics handling and makes this stuff
available through a set of procedures/functions/methods/vars. The result would
be a "graph" unit for X11, without forcing me to start at zero with
programming X.

Ok, I am not the right one to develop something like that, but isn't that
astonishing? You can easily find (-> thanks to Ken Wright!) a full ncurses
implementation (for developing text based apps), or full GUI stuff (as Kylix
does), but nothing for OOP or procedural mode.


mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

--
.---------------------------------------------------------------------.
|      \\|//              Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software |
|      (o o)        Service - Support - WEB-Design und Programmierung |
|--oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------------------------------------------------|
| Ing. Rainer HANTSCH |  mail: [hidden email]                   |
| Khunngasse 21/20    |   www: http://www.hantsch.co.at               |
| A-1030 Vienna       |   tel: +43-1-79885380    fax: +43-1-798853818 |
| ** A u s t r i a ** | handy: +43-664-9194382   UID-Nr: ATU 11134002 |
'---------------------------------------------------------------------'

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Graphics in Linux?

Florian Klaempfl
Rainer Hantsch wrote:

>
> Yes, this is exactly what I am looking for.
>
> What I wonder is that nobody found a way to open a X11 window redirect all
> this stuff from/to it, since I started with Linux and FreePascal. -- And this
> is more than 6 years ago.
>
> All what would be required would be some kind of graphX unit, which actually
> takes over the keyboard, mouse and graphics handling and makes this stuff
> available through a set of procedures/functions/methods/vars. The result would
> be a "graph" unit for X11, without forcing me to start at zero with
> programming X.
>
> Ok, I am not the right one to develop something like that, but isn't that
> astonishing? You can easily find (-> thanks to Ken Wright!) a full ncurses
> implementation (for developing text based apps), or full GUI stuff (as Kylix
> does), but nothing for OOP or procedural mode.

What about SDL?
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re[2]: Graphics in Linux?

Alexey Pavluchenko
In reply to this post by Rainer Hantsch
Hello Rainer,

Thursday, September 29, 2005, 2:08:53 PM, you wrote:

RH> What I wonder is that nobody found a way to open a X11 window redirect all
RH> this stuff from/to it, since I started with Linux and FreePascal. -- And this
RH> is more than 6 years ago.

In addition to SDL which already was mentioned, you may also take a
look at GRX:

http://grx.gnu.de

Though it only has gpc bindings it may be possible to port it to FPC
as well.

--
Best regards,
 Alexey


_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Graphics in Linux?

greim
In reply to this post by Rainer Hantsch
I played this weekend a litte bit arround with grx. There is a graph
unit for gpc.
After some hours, a kind of bgidemo seems to run in fpc/X-Windows.
Ther are still some problems drawing characters in several angles and
drawing polygons, but all other things seems  (quiet fast!) to run.
Its still a hack, but if there is somebody intersted in i may publish it.
Theoretical it should alos work with WIN32 but i have not testet it yet.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Markus Greim

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Graphics in Linux?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On 10/16/05, greim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After some hours, a kind of bgidemo seems to run in fpc/X-Windows.
> Ther are still some problems drawing characters in several angles and
> drawing polygons, but all other things seems  (quiet fast!) to run.
> Its still a hack, but if there is somebody intersted in i may publish it.
> Theoretical it should alos work with WIN32 but i have not testet it yet.

Why don´t you publish the results on the Lazarus wiki?

Note that since this is specific to a graphical library (or unit), you
should create a new wiki page and put a link to in on
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Developing_with_Graphics

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Graphics in Linux?

Geoff Bagley
In reply to this post by greim

--- greim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I played this weekend a litte bit around with grx.
> There is a graph unit for gpc.

> After some hours, a kind of bgidemo seems to run in
> fpc/X-Windows.

> Its still a hack, but if there is somebody intersted
> in i may publish it.

I would be interested in a Unit to output vector-
graphics possibly via postscript/ghostscript.

This gives very much better results than the old
raster  
scan of Turbo Unit graph.  I would like to draw maps,
an also mathematical graphs.

Another approach might be through Kile and LaTeX.

> Auch mit freundlichen Grüßen. Ich kann etwas Deutsch
verstehen !

Geoff Bagley.
>
> _______________________________________________
> fpc-pascal maillist  -
> [hidden email]
>
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
>

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"Streaming" input output in FPC.

Geoff Bagley
In reply to this post by Peter Andersen
Is it possible to "stream" the output of an FPC program into the input
of the next like
the  "C" people do on Linux ?  They have "stdio.h" .  I have never seem
this done in Pascal.

E.G.   prog1 | prog2 | prog3   etc.  where "|" is the pipe for passing
the results from one prog to he next.

Best regards,
Geoff
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Streaming" input output in FPC.

Florian Klaempfl
Geoff Bagley wrote:
> Is it possible to "stream" the output of an FPC program into the input
> of the next like
> the  "C" people do on Linux ?  They have "stdio.h" .  I have never seem
> this done in Pascal.

Huh? As long as you don't use units like crt write(ln) and read(ln) works with
the standard i/o handles.

>
> E.G.   prog1 | prog2 | prog3   etc.  where "|" is the pipe for passing
> the results from one prog to he next.
>

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal