Google Code closing down

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
If you haven't seen yet, Google announced that they will be closing
down Google Code. My only concern is that some niche projects used it
and that such code could be lost if not migrated to another service.
So if you have the time and know of a project that needs migration,
please do so. It is always sad to see open source code (no matter how
old) simply lost.

Re: Google Code closing down

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> If you haven't seen yet, Google announced that they will be closing
> down Google Code. My only concern is that some niche projects used it
> and that such code could be lost if not migrated to another service.
> So if you have the time and know of a project that needs migration,
> please do so. It is always sad to see open source code (no matter how
> old) simply lost.

I was just about to start using it for something. Now I've got to start
looking for an acceptable alternative- preferably one that operates by
European rules rather than American ones.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: Google Code closing down

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2015-03-14 10:39, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> looking for an acceptable alternative- preferably one that operates by
> European rules rather than American ones.

Google Code was definitely based on American rules.

Anyway, have a look at GitLab - I just bought out Gitorious. They are
based in the EU.

  https://about.gitlab.com/about/

You can even install and run your own GitLab server by checking out a
copy of the software from GitHub (??).
  https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq

Re: Google Code closing down

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2015-03-14 11:18, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> I just bought out Gitorious

Opps.. typo.. it should have read:  They just bought or took over
Gitorious - or something like that. Gitorious was also based in the EU.

Re: Google Code closing down

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2015-03-14 10:39, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> looking for an acceptable alternative- preferably one that operates by
>> European rules rather than American ones.
>
> Google Code was definitely based on American rules.

I know.

> Anyway, have a look at GitLab - I just bought out Gitorious. They are
> based in the EU.

[Sigh] I feel like I'm being pushed onto git rather than Subversion. I
can really do without this.

On 2015-03-14 11:38, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> [Sigh] I feel like I'm being pushed onto git rather than Subversion.

Then don't resist it. As 99% of developers would tell you, Git is simply
the better product. [Graeme runs and hides :-P]

Re: Google Code closing downt

> On 2015-03-14 11:38, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> > [Sigh] I feel like I'm being pushed onto git rather than Subversion.
>
> Then don't resist it. As 99% of developers would tell you, Git is simply
> the better product. [Graeme runs and hides :-P]

[Sigh]

Re: Google Code closing down

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> If you haven't seen yet, Google announced that they will be closing
>> down Google Code. My only concern is that some niche projects used it
>> and that such code could be lost if not migrated to another service.
>> So if you have the time and know of a project that needs migration,
>> please do so. It is always sad to see open source code (no matter how
>> old) simply lost.
>
> I was just about to start using it for something. Now I've got to start
> looking for an acceptable alternative- preferably one that operates by
> European rules rather than American ones.

What do you mean by this ? How would these rules differ ?
I wasn't aware that rules existed ? :)

Re: Google Code closing down

Florian Klämpfl
Am 14.03.2015 um 12:45 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> On 2015-03-14 11:38, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> [Sigh] I feel like I'm being pushed onto git rather than Subversion.
>
> Then don't resist it. As 99% of developers would tell you,

[...]

> is simply
> the better product. [Graeme runs and hides :-P]

Please make the same poll about C++ and Pascal ;)

Re: Google Code closing down

Michael Fuchs-6
Am 14.03.2015 um 13:21 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:
>>Now I've got to
>> start looking for an acceptable alternative- preferably one that
>> operates by European rules rather than American ones.
>
> What do you mean by this ? How would these rules differ ?
> I wasn't aware that rules existed ? :)

See the example of Sourceforge:

"In its terms of use, SourceForge states that its services are not
available to users in countries on the sanction list of the U.S. Office
of Foreign Assets Control (including Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and
Syria). Since 2008, access to the secure server (used for making
contributions to the site) has been blocked for people from those
countries. As of January 2010, all access including downloads was
blocked for those users. This meant that all people whose IP addresses
appear to belong to those countries were prevented from using the site.
A month later, the restrictions were relaxed so that individual projects
could indicate whether or not their software should be blocked.
Crimea has been blocked since 1 Feb 2015."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge#Country_restrictions

Re: Google Code closing down

Michael Fuchs-5

Am 14.03.2015 um 13:21 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:
>> Now I've got to
>> start looking for an acceptable alternative- preferably one that
>> operates by European rules rather than American ones.
>
> What do you mean by this ? How would these rules differ ?
> I wasn't aware that rules existed ?

See the example of Sourceforge:

"In its terms of use, SourceForge states that its services are not
available to users in countries on the sanction list of the U.S. Office
of Foreign Assets Control (including Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and
Syria). Since 2008, access to the secure server (used for making
contributions to the site) has been blocked for people from those
countries. As of January 2010, all access including downloads was
blocked for those users. This meant that all people whose IP addresses
appear to belong to those countries were prevented from using the site.
A month later, the restrictions were relaxed so that individual projects
could indicate whether or not their software should be blocked.
Crimea has been blocked since 1 Feb 2015."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge#Country_restrictions

Re: Google Code closing down

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [Sigh] I feel like I'm being pushed onto git rather than Subversion. I can
> really do without this.

For subversion you can use sourceforge. It's USA-based, however. If
you are not using cryptography it shouldn't matter, should it?
Sourceforge writes that you can't export crypto tech to some
countries, but I don't remember anything else other than that.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Google Code closing down

Please continue this discussion on fpc-other (and in the future, please
also start these kinds of discussions there instead of here).

Thanks.

Jonas
FPC mailing lists admin

Re: Google Code closing down

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Mar 2015, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>
>> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>> If you haven't seen yet, Google announced that they will be closing
>>> down Google Code. My only concern is that some niche projects used it
>>> and that such code could be lost if not migrated to another service.
>>> So if you have the time and know of a project that needs migration,
>>> please do so. It is always sad to see open source code (no matter how
>>> old) simply lost.
>>
>> I was just about to start using it for something. Now I've got to
>> start looking for an acceptable alternative- preferably one that
>> operates by European rules rather than American ones.
>
> What do you mean by this ? How would these rules differ ?
> I wasn't aware that rules existed ? :)

Google, Sourceforge and most if not all US-located services operate
strictly according to US regulations and block access to Cuba, Iran and
so on... it wouldn't surprise me if Russia is back on the shitlist
before long. Irrespective of my feelings about those regimes, I'd be far
happier to use a service that operated according to European laws and
conventions.

Jonas Maebe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please continue this discussion on fpc-other (and in the future, please
> also start these kinds of discussions there instead of here).

Sorry Jonas, my fault for not responding to Graeme's posting in the
Proper Place.

At the same time I notice Michael Fuchs's quote that "A month later, the
[Sourceforge] restrictions were relaxed so that individual projects
could indicate whether or not their software should be blocked." I know
that FPC has users in Cuba, do they still have problems downloading from
Sourceforge?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: Google Code closing down

tonyp
Try Fossil (http://fossil-scm.org).  It's based on your own rules :)

Re: Google Code closing down

vfclists .

Google Code now has an Export to Github version on the repository pages. It seemed to have popped out of nowhere and it must have been implemented while I was browsing or showed up when I dropped my Javascript blockers.

--
Frank Church

Re: Google Code closing down

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2015-03-14 19:44, vfclists . wrote:
> Google Code now has an Export to Github version on the repository pages.

I've just noticed that too. That should make saving valuable open source
projects much easier (way less effort).

I've anybody wants to help collaborate in saving some or all FPC,
Lazarus and Pascal projects please let me know. We can put our heads
together and come up with a plan and work off a list of projects.

If we have a couple of people helping out, and given the 6-12 months
time limit, we should easily get through the list. Obviously active
projects will probably be migrated by their respective owners - thus the
list gets slightly smaller for us. So if you would like to help, please
contact me here, via private email or by any other channels.

I've just briefly scanned through some projects. There are projects like
the FPC LLVM backend compiler (not sure if FPC developers know about
this), Transmission GUI Frontend, FBLib (though I have my own fork on
Github already), Luipack, THTMLViewer, G-Framework etc. Some real gems.

https://code.google.com/hosting/search?q=label:FPC
https://code.google.com/hosting/search?q=label:Lazarus
https://code.google.com/hosting/search?q=label:Pascal   (the big one)

Re: Google Code closing down

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara

On 2015-03-14 19:44, vfclists . wrote:
> Google Code now has an Export to Github version on the repository pages.

I've just noticed that too. That should make saving valuable open source
projects much easier (way less effort).

I've anybody wants to help collaborate in saving some or all FPC,
Lazarus and Pascal projects please let me know. We can put our heads
together and come up with a plan and work off a list of projects.

I've just briefly scanned through some projects. There are projects like
the FPC LLVM backend compiler (not sure if FPC developers know about
this), Transmission GUI Frontend, FBLib (though I have my own fork on
Github already), Luipack,

LuiPack is active (although there's not a release in the last years). I'll do the migration on my own.

Luiz

Re: Google Code closing down

el_es
On 14/03/15 12:25, Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> Am 14.03.2015 um 12:45 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
>> On 2015-03-14 11:38, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>> [Sigh] I feel like I'm being pushed onto git rather than Subversion.
>>
>> Then don't resist it. As 99% of developers would tell you,
>
> [...]
>
>> is simply
>> the better product. [Graeme runs and hides :-P]
>
> Please make the same poll about C++ and Pascal ;)

We all know /the/ answer to that one don't we ;)

I totally could never look at another c compiler ever again :)

el es