FreePascal and Lazarus Foundation

Mr Bee
Hi all,

This morning I was glad to found this website: http://foundation.freepascal.org

It's about time to have a foundation for our beloved projects. I hope by having this foundation, Free Pascal and Lazarus projects would go forward, being managed better and more professional to produce the best programming language, compiler and IDE for the world. :)

Of course, there are still many things need to be fixed and enhanced on both projects. This foundation would be the first step forward. For this foundation, I'd like to say congratulation and good luck.

Regards,

–Mr Bee

Re: [Lazarus] FreePascal and Lazarus Foundation

Michael Van Canneyt

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016, Mr Bee wrote:

> Hi all, This morning I was glad to found this
> website: http://foundation.freepascal.org It's about time to have a
> foundation for our beloved projects.  I hope by having this foundation,
> Free Pascal and Lazarus projects would go forward, being managed better
> and more professional to produce the best programming language, compiler
> and IDE for the world.  :) Of course, there are still many things need to
> be fixed and enhanced on both projects.  This foundation would be the
> first step forward.  For this foundation, I'd like to say congratulation
> and good luck.  Regards,

Thank you.

How did you manage to find this site ? I didn't make a public announcement yet :-)

I am glad to hear that you approve. The foundation has been in the works for
months, but in the next coming days we'll go public.
I was actually waiting for the chairman to create a bank account to
which we can couple a paypal account and a button for donations.

The idea of the foundation is as stated on the website:
the foundation will not interfere with design decisions, it is there to help
with funding: this can be for code improvements/additions, or even
making of releases and builds. (which takes a lot of time and equipment)

Lazarus/Free Pascal are volunteer driven projects, and that will remain so.
This means that some things are left lying because no-one wants to tackle them.
These things can then be taken on by paying someone to do them (if sufficient
funds are available).

If the foundation can help in other ways, then that can obviously be discussed too.

Re: [Lazarus] FreePascal and Lazarus Foundation

Marc Hanisch
Hello,

very nice to hear about the foundation. Are you open for personal members? I would be interested in promoting Lazarus and Free Pascal.
When you get donations, how is the money split to the projects and who decides about which project is getting how much?

Best regards,
Marc

[...]

Victor Campillo
How did you manage to find this site ? I didn't make a public announcement yet :-)

But seems that somebody else did it, see this post of Boian Mitov https://plus.google.com/+BoianMitov/posts/46r34KmgrdQ.

Anyway, I am very happy with the announcement, this could be a great push for the community.

Best Regards.
--
Victor Campillo

Re: [Lazarus] FreePascal and Lazarus Foundation

Michael Ring-2

It's already on Heise News (german):

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Stiftung-fuer-Free-Pascal-und-Lazarus-gegruendet-3249526.html

On 27/06/16 15:47, Michael Ring wrote:

Most likely that Embarcadero has shut down their development Branch in Spain, about 80 people involved.

Michael

When I read the news this morning I was astonished, I didn't know that Embarcadero had such a big team in Spain (I am Spanish). In the group of G+ there is a comment of Allen Bauer that explains which parts of Delphi were developed in this office.

The Spain office had taken on most of the IDE, Delphi RTL, GetIT, Installer, some DB, Bluetooth components, IoT, QA, and other miscellaneous tasks. They were by-far the largest single group working on RAD Studio. They were all a wonderful, dedicated, excited group of folks. They were eager to learn and truly enjoyed their jobs. I am deeply saddened by this development.

Not unexpected given what I know about the new owners', ahem, decided lack of understanding how a dev-tool should be developed and managed... In fact, how software in general should be developed.

Gosh... I wonder why I left...

Best Regards.

--
Victor Campillo

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016, Marc Hanisch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> very nice to hear about the foundation. Are you open for personal members?

That is the idea, but we still need to adapt the bylaws to allow this.

> I would be interested in promoting Lazarus and Free Pascal.
> When you get donations, how is the money split to the projects and who
> decides about which project is getting how much?

I had 2 tracks in mind:
- Donations for a specific project/purpose (similar to the bounty system).
- General donations.
The foundation members would vote for the project(s) to fund in the latter system.
We'd always need an estimate of how much work is involved for each project.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016, Michael Ring wrote:

> Most likely that Embarcadero has shut down their development Branch in Spain,
> about 80 people involved.

Yes.
The foundation was founded already in 2015, but because of busy schedules,
we didn't activate it yet.

The news about Embarcadero simply put everything on an accelerated track...