FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

fredvs
Hello.
There is a new FreeBSD "pure X" distro with fpc 2.6.4 and fpc 3.0.0 installed.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/polydev-the-pure-x-freebsd-distribution.53085/

Take a look at "About poly-cross-compilation." in end of page.

Fre;D
Many thanks ;-)

Re: FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2015-09-04 15:00, fredvs wrote:
> There is a new FreeBSD "pure X" distro with fpc 2.6.4 and fpc 3.0.0
> installed.

Nicely done Fred!  That will be very convenient for setting up quick
development VM's per project or client.

Re: FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

fredvs
> That will be very convenient for setting up quick
> development VM's per project or client.

Thanks Graeme :-)

Huh, you may use it as VM project but as iso-live cdrom/ usb too.
And you may also install it to device, like your main server ;-).

Cheers.

Fre;D

Many thanks ;-)

Re: FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

Paul Breneman
On 09/04/2015 02:41 PM, Fred van Stappen wrote:

>>   That will be very convenient for setting up quick
>> development VM's per project or client.
>
> Thanks Graeme :-)
>
> Huh, you may use it as VM project but as iso-live cdrom/ usb too.
> And you may also install it to device, like your main server ;-).
>
> Cheers.
>
> Fre;D

Glad to see this and hope to try it soon!

I've tried the *beta.0.1.iso several times on VMware 11 and it always
shows the pretty splash screen then fails to mount the root.  Is there
anything you suggest I try?

Re: FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

fredvs
> I've tried the *beta.0.1.iso several times on VMware 11 and it always
> shows the pretty splash screen then fails to mount the root.  Is there
> anything you suggest I try?

Hello and many thanks to try polYdev.

I use on a Netbook Pentium M, 4 gigas ram, from Linux Mint 17 64 bit
with those config :

- VMWare .: (SCSI and SATA works for me).

- Virtual Box  : (SCSI gives a warning but works, IDE+SATA ok)

With normal boot, after few seconds, the splash screen disappear and console comes back.
Then the screen will fade out...
This take some time because system is buzy to mount local folders.
If all ok, you should switch from fade_saver to console using the arrow keys.

Hope it wil lwork for you.

Fred

Many thanks ;-)

Re: FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

fredvs
Re-hello.

If after few seconds the splash screen does not disappear, it probably because of the console-fade-saver that makes trouble.

Aaaargh, I knew that this feature was "too much".

I will release it from the (maybe?) next version.

Fre;D
Many thanks ;-)

Re: FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

fredvs
> I've tried the *beta.0.1.iso several times on VMware 11 and it always
> shows the pretty splash screen then fails to mount the root. Is there
> anything you suggest I try?

Re-re hello.

After testing here...

Impossible to run a FreeBSD bootable-iso with less than 2 gigas ram (tested FreeBSD official, GhostBSD, PC-BSD,...)

But the good news is that with VMware you may increase virtual ram, even if you do not have many in the hostmachine.

Hope it will work 4 you.

Fre;D

Many thanks ;-)

On 09/05/2015 04:46 PM, Fred van Stappen wrote:

>> I've tried the *beta.0.1.iso several times on VMware 11 and it always
>> shows the pretty splash screen then fails to mount the root.  Is there
>> anything you suggest I try?
>
> Re-re hello.
>
> After testing here...
>
> Impossible to run a FreeBSD bootable-iso with less than 2 gigas ram (tested FreeBSD official, GhostBSD, PC-BSD,...)
>
> But the good news is that with VMware you may increase virtual ram, even if you do not have many in the hostmachine.
>
> Hope it will work 4 you.
>
> Fre;D

After increasing the memory I'm up and running.  Thanks!

Re: FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

fredvs
> After increasing the memory I'm up and running. Thanks!

Fantastic ;-)

Many thanks ;-)

On 09/04/2015 09:00 AM, fredvs wrote:
> Hello.
> There is a new FreeBSD "pure X" distro with fpc 2.6.4 and fpc 3.0.0
> installed.
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/polydev-the-pure-x-freebsd-distribution.53085/
>
> Take a look at "/About poly-cross-compilation./" in end of page.
>
> Fre;D

I just tried the new 1.1 version mentioned in the last message in this
thread:
   https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/53085/

I also updated the text about ideU at the bottom of this page:
   http://controlpascal.com/tutorial.htm

The short/small video showing the same program being compiled and run
for 5 systems (FreeBSD 64/32, Linux 64/32 and Windows 32 bit) is *very*
nice!

Regards,
Paul

On 2016-11-03 20:57, Paul Breneman wrote:
> The short/small video showing the same program being compiled and run
> for 5 systems (FreeBSD 64/32, Linux 64/32 and Windows 32 bit) is *very*
> nice!

Yes, its even simpler to do cross-compiling with polYdev that it is with
Code Typhon. Fred did a fantastic job.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

fredvs
@ Paul & Graeme: many thanks ;-)

Fre;D
Many thanks ;-)

Re: FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

noreply
On Thu, November 3, 2016 4:33 pm, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2016-11-03 20:57, Paul Breneman wrote:
>
>> The short/small video showing the same program being compiled and run
>> for 5 systems (FreeBSD 64/32, Linux 64/32 and Windows 32 bit) is *very*
>> nice!
>
> Yes, its even simpler to do cross-compiling with polYdev that it is with
> Code Typhon. Fred did a fantastic job.

Interesting! I've always been interested in a painless headache free way
to cross compile; so does polYdev not include lazarus and only focuses on
fpc/mse/fpgui?  If you wanted to cross compile a lazarus app... no go?

On 2016-11-05 06:35, Lars wrote:
> to cross compile; so does polYdev not include lazarus and only focuses on
> fpc/mse/fpgui?  If you wanted to cross compile a lazarus app... no go?

I haven't tested with Lazarus, but to install it, simply use git and
clone the Laz repository (from Github) and do a 'make big ide' and go
from there.

polYdev is definitely a fast and headache free way to have a development
environment fully setup in no time at all.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

fredvs
>  so does polYdev not include lazarus

Hello.

polYdev is a "Pure X" OS. "Pure X" because it does not use big widgetset like Gnome, Qt, ... for gui applications.

Lazarus needs those big widgetsets. But if you install Qt or Gnome on polYdev (pkg install qt), of course you may install Lazarus.

fpGUI and MSEgui are "Pure X" widgetsets and can be used, out of the box, with polYdev for gui applications.
And, of course, fpGUI and MSEgui applications can run on a Gnome or Qt system.

Fre;D
Many thanks ;-)

Re: FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

Michael Schnell
On 05.11.2016 13:40, fredvs wrote:
> Lazarus needs those big widgetsets. But if you install Qt or Gnome on
>

> And, of course, fpGUI and MSEgui applications can run on a Gnome or Qt
> system.
I understand that you suggest you can't build the Lazarus IDE with
defining  fpGUI or CustomDrwan  instead of Qt or Gnome (or Windows or
Cocos).

Is that correct ?

Is this due to solved ?

-Michael

Re: FreeBSD distro with fpc as star.

fredvs
> I understand that you suggest you can't build the Lazarus IDE with defining  fpGUI or CustomDrwan  instead of Qt or Gnome (or Windows or Cocos).

Maybe I did not understand well.

AFAIK, for Unix os, Lazarus and LCL-widget-set need a "big native" widget-set, like GTK, KDE or Qt.

IMO (maybe I am wrong) LCL is, to resume, a "Pascal Header" of GTK, KDE or Qt widget-set C libraries.

In theory it is possible to build Lazarus with fpGUI-pure-X-widget-set but I was never able to do it work.

Also IMO (maybe I am wrong too for this), even for CustomDraw, a "big native·widget-set" is needed.

The polYdev "pure X" iso-cd is about 350 megas (with webbrowser-Opera, 5 different fpc, all video codec, audio+video player, ide, window-manager, wine decoder, etc...).

Installing the Gnome or KDE packages will need +- 950 megas more !

Fre;D

Many thanks ;-)

On Mon, November 7, 2016 2:48 am, Michael Schnell wrote:
> I understand that you suggest you can't build the Lazarus IDE with
> defining  fpGUI or CustomDrwan  instead of Qt or Gnome (or Windows or
> Cocos).

Does lazarus even know about fpGUI.... I thought fpgui was never a part of
lazarus.. did someone use fpgui with lazarus?

Or you were mistaken to think fpGUI was an option in lazarus?

Sorry I don't know myself, I'm not up to date on these things

I always remembered fpgui as a non visual development that was separate
and never integrated in any way with lazarus widget set. Did this change?

On 2016-11-07 09:48, Michael Schnell wrote:
> I understand that you suggest you can't build the Lazarus IDE with
> defining  fpGUI or CustomDrwan  instead of Qt or Gnome (or Windows or
> Cocos).

What Fred did with polYDev is create a minimal (read very small) fully
functional FreeBSD install, that supports desktop development using FPC,
includes a IDE (ideU a fork of MSEide with tons of custom modifications)
for MSEgui and fpGUI development, cross-compilation out of the box for
Linux32, Linux64, Win32, FreeBSD32 and FreeBSD64, a functional web
browser, video player and GUI desktop environment. All in a small 350MB
ISO. That is an impressive feat.

If you want Lazarus support, it means you need to install large 3rd
party dependencies and Lazarus itself, which will bloat the OS by
500MB-1000MB more hard disk space. Fred didn't want that.
Cross-compilation is also much easier with ideU than it is with Lazarus IDE.

Regards,
  Graeme

On 2016-11-08 02:12, Lars wrote:
> Does lazarus even know about fpGUI....

Yes, there is a LCL-fpGUI widgetset. It is still in alpha state, but all
Standard component palette widgets (except TLabel) is supported, quite a
few others too, as is all the dialogs and some WinAPI calls (eg:
ShowMessage). It seems a permanent developer though to complete it. I
contribute every now and then, and make sure it always compiles with the
latest stable fpGUI. But my priority is improving and maintaining the
"pure" fpGUI Toolkit, not the LCL-fpGUI wigetset of Lazarus.

> I always remembered fpgui as a non visual development that was separate
> and never integrated in any way with lazarus widget set. Did this change?

Yes, that changed about 9 years ago. :) And no, fpGUI is *not* a non
visual development environment. fpGUI comes with its own Visual Forms
Designer, Help Viewer, demo IDE and many more. Part of fpGUI's design
goals is to allow the developer flexibility, by not forcing them to use
one specific IDE. With fpGUI you can use any IDE (yes, that means
Lazarus, MSEide, Delphi, Geany, Eclipse etc) or any programmer editor
(EditPad Pro, VIM, etc). You can then integrate context sensitive help
and visual form designing via using those IDEs or editors "External
Tools" functionality.

for example:
  http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/docview_ide_integration.shtml

Here are screenshots of fpGUI's help viewer, visual form designer (a bit
old now) and demo IDE.

  http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/screenshots_apps.shtml

Regards,
  Graeme