Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

Paul Breneman
http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm is a new (unpublished) web page.
Feedback appreciated!

Re: Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

silvioprog
http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm is a new (unpublished) web page. Feedback appreciated!

Nice! Can you compile Brook framework* in your tool checking if it is compatible with ARM? Thank you!

--
Silvio Clécio

Re: Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

Sandro Cumerlato

Really interesting!

Please fix typo: "chmod 755 ppcaarm" should be "chmod 755 ppcarm".

I hope to see a GUI Hello World soon.

Sandro

On 03/15/2014 04:59 PM, Sandro Cumerlato wrote:

> Really interesting!
>
> Please fix typo: "chmod 755 ppcaarm" should be "chmod 755 ppcarm".
>
> I hope to see a GUI Hello World soon.
>
> Sandro
> On 15 Mar 2014 19:47, "Paul Breneman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm is a new (unpublished) web page.
>> Feedback appreciated!

Thanks for the feedback.

My main specialty is communication software (
www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.

But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.

My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program (for
machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded
Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).

On 03/15/2014 07:33 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:
 >>> http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm is a new (unpublished) web page.

>>> Feedback appreciated!
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> My main specialty is communication software (
> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.
>
> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.
>
> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program (for
> machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded
> Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).

If someone wants to help, here are some ideas:
- Get the arm linux release from www.CtrlTerm.com and unzip it and use
this to compile other code (below).

To try to get comm code working:
- Get the arm linux console serial release from this page and copy
DlpTempG.pas to the CtrlTerm folder.  It compiled and ran for me, but it
didn't find a port.
   http://turbocontrol.com/simpleserial.htm

To try to get x11 working:
-) Get the arm linux zip from here and copy to the CtrlTerm folder:
   http://turbocontrol.com/simplewindow.htm

Re: Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Paul Breneman wrote:

> My main specialty is communication software (
> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.

I've not got a Nexus but I suggest looking to see whether whoever's made
the adapter (using the FTDI chip) has given it a vid:pid that the OS
doesn't recognise. I think that fiddling with kernel module parameters
or editing the identifier info into a config file are beyond what the
average user can be expected to do.

> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.

Some patches for serial.pp were recently applied to 2.7.1. This is for
low-level access and requires that you do the thread handling yourself,
but doesn't require libc etc. It was tested on ARM Linux when written.

> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program (for
> machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded
> Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

On 03/16/2014 03:45 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Paul Breneman wrote:
>
>> My main specialty is communication software (
>> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
>> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
>> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
>> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.
>
> I've not got a Nexus but I suggest looking to see whether whoever's made
> the adapter (using the FTDI chip) has given it a vid:pid that the OS
> doesn't recognise. I think that fiddling with kernel module parameters
> or editing the identifier info into a config file are beyond what the
> average user can be expected to do.
>
>> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
>> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
>> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.
>
> Some patches for serial.pp were recently applied to 2.7.1. This is for
> low-level access and requires that you do the thread handling yourself,
> but doesn't require libc etc. It was tested on ARM Linux when written.
>
>> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program
>> (for machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with
>> embedded Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that
>> is needed).

The USB-serial adapter works everywhere else so I think it is fine.  I'm
guessing that GNURoot may prevent any communication?  I need to do more
testing.

About 7 years ago seeing you participating was what convinced me that
Free Pascal was worth trying on embedded systems, so thanks for your
help (again) Mark!  :)

Paul Breneman wrote:

> The USB-serial adapter works everywhere else so I think it is fine.  I'm
> guessing that GNURoot may prevent any communication?  I need to do more
> testing.

What I was trying to suggest was that the OS might not know about the
vid:pid pair that represented that device.

> About 7 years ago seeing you participating was what convinced me that
> Free Pascal was worth trying on embedded systems, so thanks for your
> help (again) Mark!  :)

:-)

On 03/16/2014 12:27 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Paul Breneman wrote:
>
>> The USB-serial adapter works everywhere else so I think it is fine.
>> I'm guessing that GNURoot may prevent any communication?  I need to do
>> more testing.
>
> What I was trying to suggest was that the OS might not know about the
> vid:pid pair that represented that device.

Yes, I understood that, but as the OS is Debian 7.4 I doubt that is the
problem (so I didn't yet check further).  Since wget works in the
GNURoot terminal it seems that (some) communication should work.  I also
tested the Free Vision testapp example, so it still looks hopeful to do
non-root apps on Android for machine control.  :)

Re: Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

Paul Breneman
On 03/15/2014 07:33 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:

> My main specialty is communication software (
> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.
>
> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.
>
> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program (for
> machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded
> Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).

Well, maybe I can wait on doing more with Free Vision and use fpGUI
instead!  :)

GNURoot has been updated!  See this text: "WheezyX rootfs type added -
it has Xterms working. After launching it, use a vncviewer on your
Android device or you PC to connect to it."  Now I hope to get Control
Terminal working (first for WiFi and Bluetooth, then with USB OTG for
Ethernet and Serial)!

On 03/24/2014 12:08 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:

> On 03/15/2014 07:33 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:
>> My main specialty is communication software (
>> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
>> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
>> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
>> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.
>>
>> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
>> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
>> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.
>>
>> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program (for
>> machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded
>> Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).
>
> Well, maybe I can wait on doing more with Free Vision and use fpGUI
> instead!  :)
>
> GNURoot has been updated!  See this text: "WheezyX rootfs type added -
> it has Xterms working. After launching it, use a vncviewer on your
> Android device or you PC to connect to it."  Now I hope to get Control
> Terminal working (first for WiFi and Bluetooth, then with USB OTG for
> Ethernet and Serial)!
>
> http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm

I just updated the above web page with a Control Terminal console
program that uses Synapse to get the header of a web page.  Nice to see
what can be done with a 2 MB zip and Free Pascal and Synapse.  Thanks
for the great tools!

On 05/09/2014 07:06 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:

> On 03/24/2014 12:08 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:
>> On 03/15/2014 07:33 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:
>>> My main specialty is communication software (
>>> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
>>> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
>>> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
>>> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.
>>>
>>> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
>>> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
>>> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program (for
>>> machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded
>>> Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).
>>
>> Well, maybe I can wait on doing more with Free Vision and use fpGUI
>> instead!  :)
>>
>> GNURoot has been updated!  See this text: "WheezyX rootfs type added -
>> it has Xterms working. After launching it, use a vncviewer on your
>> Android device or you PC to connect to it."  Now I hope to get Control
>> Terminal working (first for WiFi and Bluetooth, then with USB OTG for
>> Ethernet and Serial)!
>>
>> http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm
>
> I just updated the above web page with a Control Terminal console
> program that uses Synapse to get the header of a web page.  Nice to see
> what can be done with a 2 MB zip and Free Pascal and Synapse.  Thanks
> for the great tools!

Can I reply to a 3 year old message? I could use some help and feedback
with this *simple* topic!

GNUroot (with new Android versions) no longer works with Free Pascal so
I made this new page that has a link to a new wiki page:
   http://controlpascal.com/self-hosted.htm

Regards,
Paul

On 06/04/2017 08:00 AM, Paul Breneman wrote:

> On 05/09/2014 07:06 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:

>>> Well, maybe I can wait on doing more with Free Vision and use fpGUI
>>> instead!  :)
>>>
>>> GNURoot has been updated!  See this text: "WheezyX rootfs type added -
>>> it has Xterms working. After launching it, use a vncviewer on your
>>> Android device or you PC to connect to it."  Now I hope to get Control
>>> Terminal working (first for WiFi and Bluetooth, then with USB OTG for
>>> Ethernet and Serial)!
>>>
>>> http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm
>>
>> I just updated the above web page with a Control Terminal console
>> program that uses Synapse to get the header of a web page.  Nice to
>> see what can be done with a 2 MB zip and Free Pascal and Synapse.
>> Thanks for the great tools!
>
> Can I reply to a 3 year old message? I could use some help and feedback
> with this *simple* topic!
>
> GNUroot (with new Android versions) no longer works with Free Pascal so
> I made this new page that has a link to a new wiki page:
>    http://controlpascal.com/self-hosted.htm

There is a *new* Android program *UserLAnd* that replaces GNUroot so
hopefully we'll soon have Free Pascal working again on Debian on
Android: www.turbocontrol.com/userland.htm

Yes, I know that Free Pascal works on straight Debian (and Raspbian)...

On 06/20/2018 12:01 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:

> On 06/04/2017 08:00 AM, Paul Breneman wrote:

>>> I just updated the above web page with a Control Terminal console
>>> program that uses Synapse to get the header of a web page.  Nice to
>>> see what can be done with a 2 MB zip and Free Pascal and Synapse.
>>> Thanks for the great tools!
>>
>> Can I reply to a 3 year old message? I could use some help and
>> feedback with this *simple* topic!
>>
>> GNUroot (with new Android versions) no longer works with Free Pascal
>> so I made this new page that has a link to a new wiki page:
>>    http://controlpascal.com/self-hosted.htm
>
> There is a *new* Android program *UserLAnd* that replaces GNUroot so
> hopefully we'll soon have Free Pascal working again on Debian on
> Android: www.turbocontrol.com/userland.htm
>
> Yes, I know that Free Pascal works on straight Debian (and Raspbian)...

It works and looks *easy* again.  Web page updated a little as I go
celebrate!

Re: Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

Paul Breneman
On 06/20/2018 12:01 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:

> On 06/04/2017 08:00 AM, Paul Breneman wrote:

>>> I just updated the above web page with a Control Terminal console
>>> program that uses Synapse to get the header of a web page.  Nice to
>>> see what can be done with a 2 MB zip and Free Pascal and Synapse.
>>> Thanks for the great tools!
>>
>> Can I reply to a 3 year old message? I could use some help and
>> feedback with this *simple* topic!
>>
>> GNUroot (with new Android versions) no longer works with Free Pascal
>> so I made this new page that has a link to a new wiki page:
>>    http://controlpascal.com/self-hosted.htm
>
> There is a *new* Android program *UserLAnd* that replaces GNUroot so
> hopefully we'll soon have Free Pascal working again on Debian on
> Android: www.turbocontrol.com/userland.htm
>
> Yes, I know that Free Pascal works on straight Debian (and Raspbian)...

Fpc 3.0.0 AArch64 appears to work on my Android phone!

Trying to get fpcup to work to get 3.0.4?

www.turbocontrol.com/userland.htm is updated.

On 7/5/2018 7:57 AM, Paul Breneman wrote:

> On 06/20/2018 12:01 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:

>>> Can I reply to a 3 year old message? I could use some help and
>>> feedback with this *simple* topic!
>>>
>>> GNUroot (with new Android versions) no longer works with Free Pascal
>>> so I made this new page that has a link to a new wiki page:
>>>    http://controlpascal.com/self-hosted.htm
>>
>> There is a *new* Android program *UserLAnd* that replaces GNUroot so
>> hopefully we'll soon have Free Pascal working again on Debian on
>> Android: www.turbocontrol.com/userland.htm
>>
>> Yes, I know that Free Pascal works on straight Debian (and Raspbian)...
>
> Fpc 3.0.0 AArch64 appears to work on my Android phone!
>
> Trying to get fpcup to work to get 3.0.4?
>
> www.turbocontrol.com/userland.htm is updated.

After almost another year (I'm almost retired but still having fun) the
userland page above has been updated and things are working for my
AARCH64 phone with FPC 3.2 beta!