Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

Paul Breneman
http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm is a new (unpublished) web page.
Feedback appreciated!

Re: Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

silvioprog
http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm is a new (unpublished) web page. Feedback appreciated!

Nice! Can you compile Brook framework* in your tool checking if it is compatible with ARM? Thank you!

--
Silvio Clécio

Re: Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

Sandro Cumerlato

Really interesting!

Please fix typo: "chmod 755 ppcaarm" should be "chmod 755 ppcarm".

I hope to see a GUI Hello World soon.

Sandro

On 03/15/2014 04:59 PM, Sandro Cumerlato wrote:

> Really interesting!
>
> Please fix typo: "chmod 755 ppcaarm" should be "chmod 755 ppcarm".
>
> I hope to see a GUI Hello World soon.
>
> Sandro
> On 15 Mar 2014 19:47, "Paul Breneman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm is a new (unpublished) web page.
>> Feedback appreciated!

Thanks for the feedback.

My main specialty is communication software (
www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.

But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.

My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program (for
machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded
Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).

On 03/15/2014 07:33 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:
 >>> http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm is a new (unpublished) web page.

>>> Feedback appreciated!
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> My main specialty is communication software (
> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.
>
> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.
>
> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program (for
> machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded
> Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).

If someone wants to help, here are some ideas:
- Get the arm linux release from www.CtrlTerm.com and unzip it and use
this to compile other code (below).

To try to get comm code working:
- Get the arm linux console serial release from this page and copy
DlpTempG.pas to the CtrlTerm folder.  It compiled and ran for me, but it
didn't find a port.
   http://turbocontrol.com/simpleserial.htm

To try to get x11 working:
-) Get the arm linux zip from here and copy to the CtrlTerm folder:
   http://turbocontrol.com/simplewindow.htm

Re: Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Paul Breneman wrote:

> My main specialty is communication software (
> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.

I've not got a Nexus but I suggest looking to see whether whoever's made
the adapter (using the FTDI chip) has given it a vid:pid that the OS
doesn't recognise. I think that fiddling with kernel module parameters
or editing the identifier info into a config file are beyond what the
average user can be expected to do.

> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.

Some patches for serial.pp were recently applied to 2.7.1. This is for
low-level access and requires that you do the thread handling yourself,
but doesn't require libc etc. It was tested on ARM Linux when written.

> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program (for
> machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded
> Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

On 03/16/2014 03:45 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Paul Breneman wrote:
>
>> My main specialty is communication software (
>> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
>> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
>> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
>> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.
>
> I've not got a Nexus but I suggest looking to see whether whoever's made
> the adapter (using the FTDI chip) has given it a vid:pid that the OS
> doesn't recognise. I think that fiddling with kernel module parameters
> or editing the identifier info into a config file are beyond what the
> average user can be expected to do.
>
>> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
>> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
>> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.
>
> Some patches for serial.pp were recently applied to 2.7.1. This is for
> low-level access and requires that you do the thread handling yourself,
> but doesn't require libc etc. It was tested on ARM Linux when written.
>
>> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program
>> (for machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with
>> embedded Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that
>> is needed).

The USB-serial adapter works everywhere else so I think it is fine.  I'm
guessing that GNURoot may prevent any communication?  I need to do more
testing.

About 7 years ago seeing you participating was what convinced me that
Free Pascal was worth trying on embedded systems, so thanks for your
help (again) Mark!  :)

Paul Breneman wrote:

> The USB-serial adapter works everywhere else so I think it is fine.  I'm
> guessing that GNURoot may prevent any communication?  I need to do more
> testing.

What I was trying to suggest was that the OS might not know about the
vid:pid pair that represented that device.

> About 7 years ago seeing you participating was what convinced me that
> Free Pascal was worth trying on embedded systems, so thanks for your
> help (again) Mark!  :)

:-)

On 03/16/2014 12:27 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Paul Breneman wrote:
>
>> The USB-serial adapter works everywhere else so I think it is fine.
>> I'm guessing that GNURoot may prevent any communication?  I need to do
>> more testing.
>
> What I was trying to suggest was that the OS might not know about the
> vid:pid pair that represented that device.

Yes, I understood that, but as the OS is Debian 7.4 I doubt that is the
problem (so I didn't yet check further).  Since wget works in the
GNURoot terminal it seems that (some) communication should work.  I also
tested the Free Vision testapp example, so it still looks hopeful to do
non-root apps on Android for machine control.  :)

Re: Free Pascal console programs on Android are easy

Paul Breneman
On 03/15/2014 07:33 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:

> My main specialty is communication software (
> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.
>
> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.
>
> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program (for
> machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded
> Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).

Well, maybe I can wait on doing more with Free Vision and use fpGUI
instead!  :)

GNURoot has been updated!  See this text: "WheezyX rootfs type added -
it has Xterms working. After launching it, use a vncviewer on your
Android device or you PC to connect to it."  Now I hope to get Control
Terminal working (first for WiFi and Bluetooth, then with USB OTG for
Ethernet and Serial)!

On 03/24/2014 12:08 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:

> On 03/15/2014 07:33 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:
>> My main specialty is communication software (
>> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
>> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
>> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
>> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.
>>
>> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
>> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
>> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.
>>
>> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program (for
>> machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded
>> Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).
>
> Well, maybe I can wait on doing more with Free Vision and use fpGUI
> instead!  :)
>
> GNURoot has been updated!  See this text: "WheezyX rootfs type added -
> it has Xterms working. After launching it, use a vncviewer on your
> Android device or you PC to connect to it."  Now I hope to get Control
> Terminal working (first for WiFi and Bluetooth, then with USB OTG for
> Ethernet and Serial)!
>
> http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm

I just updated the above web page with a Control Terminal console
program that uses Synapse to get the header of a web page.  Nice to see
what can be done with a 2 MB zip and Free Pascal and Synapse.  Thanks
for the great tools!

On 05/09/2014 07:06 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:

> On 03/24/2014 12:08 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:
>> On 03/15/2014 07:33 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:
>>> My main specialty is communication software (
>>> www.turbocontrol.com/APro.htm ), so right now that is what I'm working
>>> on.  I have a USB hub working with a keyboard on my Nexus 7 (via OTG),
>>> but a FTDI USB-serial adapter doesn't show up in /dev so I hope to get
>>> that (and some other Bluetooth and TCP/IP stuff) working next.
>>>
>>> But a GUI Hello World would be nice!  I did install the "libc-dev"
>>> package to compile a Synapse Synaser program so if anyone wants to try
>>> www.CtrlTerm.com that would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> My main (first) goal in this is to be able to run a single program (for
>>> machine control) on an inexpensive tablet.  Maybe even with embedded
>>> Firebird (I have an Android tablet with an Intel CPU if that is needed).
>>
>> Well, maybe I can wait on doing more with Free Vision and use fpGUI
>> instead!  :)
>>
>> GNURoot has been updated!  See this text: "WheezyX rootfs type added -
>> it has Xterms working. After launching it, use a vncviewer on your
>> Android device or you PC to connect to it."  Now I hope to get Control
>> Terminal working (first for WiFi and Bluetooth, then with USB OTG for
>> Ethernet and Serial)!
>>
>> http://turbocontrol.com/gnuroot.htm
>
> I just updated the above web page with a Control Terminal console
> program that uses Synapse to get the header of a web page.  Nice to see
> what can be done with a 2 MB zip and Free Pascal and Synapse.  Thanks
> for the great tools!

Can I reply to a 3 year old message? I could use some help and feedback
with this *simple* topic!

GNUroot (with new Android versions) no longer works with Free Pascal so
I made this new page that has a link to a new wiki page:
   http://controlpascal.com/self-hosted.htm

Regards,
Paul