Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

We have placed the first release-candidate of the Free Pascal Compiler
version 2.6.0 on our ftp-servers.

You can help improve the upcoming 2.6.0 release by downloading and
testing this release. If you want you can report what you have done here:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Testers_2.6.0

Changes that may break backwards compatibility are documented at:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.6.0

Downloads are available at the FTP server at:

ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/

Enjoy!

The Free Pascal Compiler Team

                            Free Pascal Compiler

                                Version 2.6.0rc1

                              What's New in 2.6.0rc1

Free Pascal 2.6.0 is a new major version of the Free Pascal compiler.

Please also see http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.6.0 for a list
of changes that may affect the behaviour of previously working code, and
how to cope with these changes.

Some highlights are:

Platforms:
  * iPhoneSimulator target

Compiler:
  * Many new language features:
     * Objective-Pascal dialect, supported on all Mac OS X and iOS targets
     * constref parameter modifier for "const by reference"
     * Pascal boolean types with multiple sizes (boolean16/32/64)
     * ISO 7185 language mode (except for I/O). Features amongst others:
        * nested procedure variables
        * non-local goto's
     * Mac Pascal mode improvements
        * nested procedure variables
        * univ modifier
     * Intrinsics
        * sar (shift arithmetic right)
        * bsf/bsr (bitscan forward/reverse)
     * Delphi compatibility mode improvements
        * Nested types, class variables and class local constants
        * Advanced records syntax (no constructors yet)
        * (for..in) Enumerators in records
        * Class and record helpers
        * Generic records, arrays and procedural types
        * Delphi-compatibility of generics improved
        * Scoped enumerations
        * Custom messages for "deprecated" directive
        * Ability to use "&" for escaping keywords
  * New ARM code generator features
     * ARM VFPv2 and VFPv3 floating point unit support
     * Thumb-2 support

Packages:
  * Many improvements to the rtl
  * Many improvements to the database units (fcl-db)
  * Objective-Pascal interfaces to Foundation, AppKit, CoreData and WebCore
  * OpenGL headers updated to OpenGL 4.0

Details about these new features can be found at
http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_New_Features_2.6.0

See http://bugs.freepascal.org/changelog_page.php for the list of reported
bugs that have been fixed in this release.

Re: Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara
On 5/11/2011 20:27, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> Downloads are available at the FTP server at:
>
> ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/

Cant download

550 /pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/: Permission denied.

Luiz

Re: Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

silvioprog
2011/11/5 Luiz Americo Pereira Camara <[hidden email]>:

> On 5/11/2011 20:27, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>>
>> Downloads are available at the FTP server at:
>>
>> ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/
>
> Cant download
>
> 550 /pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/: Permission denied.
>
> Luiz
x(

http://imagebin.org/182703

--
Silvio Clécio
Blog - <silvioprog.com.br>

Re: Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Ralf A. Quint
At 04:47 PM 11/5/2011, Luiz Americo Pereira Camara wrote:
>On 5/11/2011 20:27, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>>Downloads are available at the FTP server at:
>>
>>ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/
>
>Cant download
>
>550 /pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/: Permission denied.

ditto... :-(

Ralf

Re: Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Alexander Shishkin
06.11.2011 3:47, Luiz Americo Pereira Camara пишет:

> On 5/11/2011 20:27, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> Downloads are available at the FTP server at:
>>
>> ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/
>
> Cant download
>
> 550 /pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/: Permission denied.
>

> Luiz

Re: Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Seth Grover
> We have placed the first release-candidate of the Free Pascal Compiler
> version 2.6.0 on our ftp-servers.

Congratulations! That's an impressive list of new features. I've been
anticipating this release for some time.

A couple of questions: where can this be found in svn? I don't see a
tag for it, and fixes_2_6 hasn't been modified for 8 weeks or so.

Secondly, will there be additional merges from trunk to fixes_2_6? If
I recall the last time I checked the page with the list of potential
merges from trunk to fixes_2_6 I believe it was quite long.
Particularly I was hoping for revision 19036 (resolving issue 19404,
fixing shared library loading and unloading for Linux platforms) to
make it into the 2.6 release.

Again, congratulations. I'll start using the release candidate next
week at work and will report any issues I find.

-SG

--
This email is fiction. Any resemblance to actual events
or persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Seth Grover

Re: Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Jonas Maebe-2

http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_2_6_0_rc1/

Re: Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Seth Grover
Jonas, thanks for the link. For some reason it wasn't showing up on
the viewvcs interface until I cleared my browser cache and refreshed.

Thanks again.

-SG

In our previous episode, Luiz Americo Pereira Camara said:

> > ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/
>
> Cant download
>
> 550 /pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/: Permission denied.

Fixed.

Re: Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Tommi Prami
On 6.11.2011 1:27, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have placed the first release-candidate of the Free Pascal Compiler
> version 2.6.0 on our ftp-servers.
>
> You can help improve the upcoming 2.6.0 release by downloading and
> testing this release. If you want you can report what you have done here:
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/Testers_2.6.0
>
> Changes that may break backwards compatibility are documented at:
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.6.0
>
> Downloads are available at the FTP server at:
>
> ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/
>
> Enjoy!
>
> The Free Pascal Compiler Team
>

>                              Free Pascal Compiler
>
>                                  Version 2.6.0rc1

>                                What's New in 2.6.0rc1
>
> Free Pascal 2.6.0 is a new major version of the Free Pascal compiler.
>
> Please also see http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.6.0 for a list
> of changes that may affect the behaviour of previously working code, and
> how to cope with these changes.
>
> Some highlights are:
>
> Platforms:
>    * iPhoneSimulator target
>
> Compiler:
>    * Many new language features:
>       * Objective-Pascal dialect, supported on all Mac OS X and iOS targets
>       * constref parameter modifier for "const by reference"
>       * Pascal boolean types with multiple sizes (boolean16/32/64)
>       * ISO 7185 language mode (except for I/O). Features amongst others:
>          * nested procedure variables
>          * non-local goto's
>       * Mac Pascal mode improvements
>          * nested procedure variables
>          * univ modifier
>       * Intrinsics
>          * sar (shift arithmetic right)
>          * bsf/bsr (bitscan forward/reverse)
>       * Delphi compatibility mode improvements
>          * Nested types, class variables and class local constants
>          * Advanced records syntax (no constructors yet)
>          * (for..in) Enumerators in records
>          * Class and record helpers
>          * Generic records, arrays and procedural types
>          * Delphi-compatibility of generics improved
>          * Scoped enumerations
>          * Custom messages for "deprecated" directive
>          * Ability to use "&" for escaping keywords
>    * New ARM code generator features
>       * ARM VFPv2 and VFPv3 floating point unit support
>       * Thumb-2 support
>
> Packages:
>    * Many improvements to the rtl
>    * Many improvements to the database units (fcl-db)
>    * Objective-Pascal interfaces to Foundation, AppKit, CoreData and WebCore
>    * OpenGL headers updated to OpenGL 4.0
>
> Details about these new features can be found at
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_New_Features_2.6.0
>
> See http://bugs.freepascal.org/changelog_page.php for the list of reported
> bugs that have been fixed in this release.

Seems that Freepascal Wiki is not available. If someone can access it
post the information on changes into here please...

-Tee-

Re: Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Jürgen Hestermann
Marco van de Voort schrieb:
 > We have placed the first release-candidate of the Free Pascal Compiler
 > version 2.6.0 on our ftp-servers.

Here some issues I found:

The text mode IDE states under "Help":  Copyright (C) 1998-2009 by...
Shouldn't this be  "1998-2011"?

When I now try to compile a short test program with the IDE I get:
"Error: Illegal parameter: -Cp386"
This was a setting I used before. Has this been changed?
When I remove this parameter and try again I get:
"Fatal: Unable to open file D:\vpascal\FreePascal\fp.cfg"
"Fatal: Compilation aborted"
The file exists and was used on the first compiler run but it seems it
was not closed properly on error.

 > http://wiki.freepascal.org/Testers_2.6.0
 > http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.6.0

These links are not reachable.

Re: [fpc-devel] Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Skybuck Flying
So FPC can now compile to java byte code.

I don't even have Java installed on Windows because on Windows it's a
security risk.

Nice to see some more virtual instruction set support though.

I'd like to see compile to redcode or compile to cuda/ptx ;)

Also let me ask one question about "Delphi" mode:

If free pascal is put in Delphi mode does this prevent any "free pascal
specific language extensions" so that the programmer can be sure that the
program written in free pascal will compile in Delphi as well ?

Bye,
  Skybuck.

On 06 Nov 2011, at 11:56, Tommi Prami wrote:

> On 6.11.2011 1:27, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> Details about these new features can be found at
>> http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_New_Features_2.6.0
>
> Seems that Freepascal Wiki is not available. If someone can access it post the information on changes into here please...

It appears to be back up again now.

In our previous episode, J?rgen Hestermann said:
>  > version 2.6.0 on our ftp-servers.
>
> Here some issues I found:
>
> The text mode IDE states under "Help":  Copyright (C) 1998-2009 by...
> Shouldn't this be  "1998-2011"?

I will correct that.

> When I now try to compile a short test program with the IDE I get:
> "Error: Illegal parameter: -Cp386"
> This was a setting I used before. Has this been changed?
> When I remove this parameter and try again I get:
> "Fatal: Unable to open file D:\vpascal\FreePascal\fp.cfg"
> "Fatal: Compilation aborted"
> The file exists and was used on the first compiler run but it seems it
> was not closed properly on error.

The problem here might be some old configuration file.

In our previous episode, Seth Grover said:
> > We have placed the first release-candidate of the Free Pascal Compiler
> > version 2.6.0 on our ftp-servers.
>
> Congratulations! That's an impressive list of new features. I've been
> anticipating this release for some time.
>
> A couple of questions: where can this be found in svn? I don't see a
> tag for it, and fixes_2_6 hasn't been modified for 8 weeks or so.

(Jonas already replied to this)

> Secondly, will there be additional merges from trunk to fixes_2_6? If
> I recall the last time I checked the page with the list of potential
> merges from trunk to fixes_2_6 I believe it was quite long.
> Particularly I was hoping for revision 19036 (resolving issue 19404,
> fixing shared library loading and unloading for Linux platforms) to
> make it into the 2.6 release.

There will be some minor post RC1 fixes before the release, these will be
merged through fixes.  To make that process easier (and avoid errors), fixes
is currently frozen.

After the final release, fixes will be unfrozen, and the normal merging will
resume (though it will take a week or two to work away the backlog.  This
because more risky commits are only merged a few at a time)

Marco van de Voort schrieb:

>> When I now try to compile a short test program with the IDE I get:
>> "Error: Illegal parameter: -Cp386"
>> This was a setting I used before. Has this been changed?
>> When I remove this parameter and try again I get:
>> "Fatal: Unable to open file D:\vpascal\FreePascal\fp.cfg"
>> "Fatal: Compilation aborted"
>> The file exists and was used on the first compiler run but it seems it
>> was not closed properly on error.
>>
> The problem here might be some old configuration file.

Yes, that is the case. Still there are problems: If I delete the
parameter in the IDE and try again to compile it it should work. But
when doing so I get the "unable to open file ...fp.cfg" error. It seems
that the IDE does not close the config file properly on error so that it
now has problems to reopen it. And although I have checked to save all
configurations the deletion of the parameter is not stored. On next
startup the same parameter reappears. But when I delete the parameter
directly after startup and compile then everything works ok. In this
case the IDE was able to save the changes into fp.cfg. But it fails
doing so if the error "illegal parameter" has appeared first.

Re: Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Peter
HI,

Does this release include intrinsic ROL & ROR?
'Bug' 6300 is shown as fixed, but I can find no mention in the new
features list.

On 05/11/11 23:27, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have placed the first release-candidate of the Free Pascal Compiler
> version 2.6.0 on our ftp-servers.
>
> You can help improve the upcoming 2.6.0 release by downloading and
> testing this release. If you want you can report what you have done here:
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/Testers_2.6.0
> Changes that may break backwards compatibility are documented at:
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.6.0
>
> Downloads are available at the FTP server at:
>
> ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/
>
> Enjoy!
>
> The Free Pascal Compiler Team
>

>                              Free Pascal Compiler
>
>                                  Version 2.6.0rc1

>                                What's New in 2.6.0rc1
>
> Free Pascal 2.6.0 is a new major version of the Free Pascal compiler.
>
> Please also see http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.6.0 for a list
> of changes that may affect the behaviour of previously working code, and
> how to cope with these changes.
>
> Some highlights are:
>
> Platforms:
>    * iPhoneSimulator target
>
> Compiler:
>    * Many new language features:
>       * Objective-Pascal dialect, supported on all Mac OS X and iOS targets
>       * constref parameter modifier for "const by reference"
>       * Pascal boolean types with multiple sizes (boolean16/32/64)
>       * ISO 7185 language mode (except for I/O). Features amongst others:
>          * nested procedure variables
>          * non-local goto's
>       * Mac Pascal mode improvements
>          * nested procedure variables
>          * univ modifier
>       * Intrinsics
>          * sar (shift arithmetic right)
>          * bsf/bsr (bitscan forward/reverse)
>       * Delphi compatibility mode improvements
>          * Nested types, class variables and class local constants
>          * Advanced records syntax (no constructors yet)
>          * (for..in) Enumerators in records
>          * Class and record helpers
>          * Generic records, arrays and procedural types
>          * Delphi-compatibility of generics improved
>          * Scoped enumerations
>          * Custom messages for "deprecated" directive
>          * Ability to use "&" for escaping keywords
>    * New ARM code generator features
>       * ARM VFPv2 and VFPv3 floating point unit support
>       * Thumb-2 support
>
> Packages:
>    * Many improvements to the rtl
>    * Many improvements to the database units (fcl-db)
>    * Objective-Pascal interfaces to Foundation, AppKit, CoreData and WebCore
>    * OpenGL headers updated to OpenGL 4.0
>
> Details about these new features can be found at
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_New_Features_2.6.0
>
> See http://bugs.freepascal.org/changelog_page.php for the list of reported
> bugs that have been fixed in this release.

Re: Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

etrusco
Yes, RolByte/Word/Dword/QWord are implemented in 2.6.0rc1.

On 07 Nov 2011, at 23:27, Peter wrote:

> Does this release include intrinsic ROL & ROR?
> 'Bug' 6300 is shown as fixed, but I can find no mention in the new
> features list.

I've added it to the wiki page.

Re: Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
I am happy to say that the RPM can now be installed cleanly in Mageia
Linux (and therefore I suppose that in Mandriva and PCLinuxOS too),
thats to the clever fix by Joost. Thanks a lot =)

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho