Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Ralf Quint
On 8/23/2016 1:46 PM, Maciej Izak wrote:
And you can't use any edition to "develop an application that is directly competitive to the Product or to any other Embarcadero products"

AFAIK they can write any nonsense in the license agreement and nobody can forbid them to do so ;)... You can't dictate people what they can not do with compiler. That means Delphi can't be used to develop any OS project (Zeos, mORMot).
No, it means you can't use Delphi Starter Edition to develop another Object Pascal or C++ compiler, that are competing products...

Ralf

Avast logo

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Maciej Izak

No, it means you can't use Delphi Starter Edition to develop another Object Pascal or C++ compiler, that are competing products...

that is part of license for all Delphi versions. It affects also many other open source project not only compilers. They have FireDac and other stuff...

--
Best regards,
Maciej Izak

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Stephen Chrzanowski
FULLY understanding that this forum is for FPC and not Delphi/Embarcadero, has anyone installed Berlin, gone into Tools> Options> Environment Options> Form Designer and see NO OPTIONS show up?  Stuff like the grid size, the toggling the Embeded Designer, etc should be here but I get no options.  That particular form option screen is completely blank, and I'm not sure why.

On 8/23/2016 6:19 PM, Stephen Chrzanowski wrote:
> FULLY understanding that this forum is for FPC and not
> Delphi/Embarcadero, has anyone installed Berlin, gone into Tools>
> Options> Environment Options> Form Designer and see NO OPTIONS show
> up?  Stuff like the grid size, the toggling the Embeded Designer, etc
> should be here but I get no options. That particular form option
> screen is completely blank, and I'm not sure why.
Not sure why either, but that page is blank for me too...

Ralf

---

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Maciej Izak

Well, that is of course subject to interpretation, is a free product "competitive" ?

Topic on G+ to get more info... :

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Tony Whyman
On 23/08/16 20:19, geneb wrote:
> EULAs have the same value as toilet paper and should be used for the
> same purpose.  I for one, will use Delphi for whatever I like, and if
> Embarcadero has a problem with that, they're invited to kiss my ass. :)

In which case I would suggest that you never release any software
whether under a licence or not. For example. the GPL has some very
useful clauses in it, such as:

THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY
APPLICABLE LAW...... WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE
OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.  SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU
ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

The EULA exists to protect the rights of the author who may or may not
be the vendor. This includes the right to demand an income from your
work, to demand that others do not exploit your work for their own gain,
and to protect you from the mis-use of your work.

If you don't like a given EULA then don't buy or use the product. But
the one thing that any software developer must do is to respect the
whole concept of the EULA

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

brian-2
On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 23:40:06 +0800, you wrote:

It should maybe be noted that this download apparently requires that
you have Windows 10?

Brian.

On 2016-08-24 09:04, brian wrote:
> you have Windows 10?

What!! Delphi still doesn’t support Linux, FreeBSD, RPi, Solaris, Haiku,
OS/2, PlayStation, AIX and so forth. That’s no good.
I'll rather stay with Free Pascal then.  :-P

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Sven Barth-2

Am 24.08.2016 11:22 schrieb "Graeme Geldenhuys" <[hidden email]>:

> On 2016-08-24 09:04, brian wrote:
> > you have Windows 10?
>
> What!! Delphi still doesn’t support Linux, FreeBSD, RPi, Solaris, Haiku,
> OS/2, PlayStation, AIX and so forth. That’s no good.
> I'll rather stay with Free Pascal then.  :-P

I think he meant that you can't use am earlier version of Windows...

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2016-08-24 10:38, Sven Barth wrote:
> I think he meant that you can't use am earlier version of Windows...

I know what he ment - hence the smiley face in my previous post. Humour
is [sadly] often lost in email conversations.

Regards,
  Graeme

On 8/24/2016 1:04 AM, brian wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 23:40:06 +0800, you wrote:
>
> It should maybe be noted that this download apparently requires that
> you have Windows 10?
Negative. I downloaded and installed it just fine on Windows 8.1/64...

Ralf

---

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Ralf Quint <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Negative. I downloaded and installed it just fine on Windows 8.1/64...

Anyone knows if Windows 7 would also work?

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Gabor Boros
> Anyone knows if Windows 7 would also work?

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Berlin/en/Installation_Notes#Operating_System_Requirements

Gabor

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Stephen Chrzanowski
Other than that one option page being blank, the app runs and installs fine under a brand new VM of Win7 Pro without SP1.

Going to check to see if applying SP1 fixes that one option form though.

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Ralf Quint <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Negative. I downloaded and installed it just fine on Windows 8.1/64...

Anyone knows if Windows 7 would also work?

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Please continue further discussion of this topic (except for a possible
answer by Embarcadero regarding the non-compete clause) to the fpc-other
list.

FPC mailing lists admin

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

wkitty42
On 08/24/2016 04:04 AM, brian wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 23:40:06 +0800, you wrote:
>
> It should maybe be noted that this download apparently requires that
> you have Windows 10?

that sucks even worse than it not supporting other OSes... i'm glad i didn't
waste my time downloading it and trying to set up a VM for it... effin' wankers...

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 05:12:54 -0700, you wrote:

>On 8/24/2016 1:04 AM, brian wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 23:40:06 +0800, you wrote:
>>
>> It should maybe be noted that this download apparently requires that
>> you have Windows 10?
>Negative. I downloaded and installed it just fine on Windows 8.1/64...

Interesting. When you enter your details and get the download link, it
very clearly says that it needs the .NET from Windows 10 to run. You
downloaded and installed it, have you actually done anything with it?

Brian.

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition

Maciej Izak

And you can't use any edition to "develop an application that is directly competitive to the Product or to any other Embarcadero products" (https://www.embarcadero.com/products/rad-studio/rad-studio-eula )

So no FPC development with Delphi.

by Jim McKeeth from Embarcadero:

=== begin quote ===
There isn't really any official clarification on what that means. The license agreement is the official clarification - anything "official" beyond that would limit the scope of the agreement.

My understanding is similar to what +Roland Kossow said. Anything that someone would do to specifically target or clone our products. I expect that unless what you are doing is pretty blatant there won't be a reaction.

Basically, don't try to bite the hand that feeds you.
=== end quote ===

--
Best regards,
Maciej Izak