FastMM4 revised.

Torsten Bonde Christiansen-2
Hi.

I found in the fpc-pascal archive a short thread on someone converting
FastMM4 to FPC.

Does anyone know if this succeeded or if the curret (4.92) version of
FastMM4 can be used with fpc?

Regards,
Torsten Bonde Christiansen.

Re: FastMM4 revised.

Joost van der Sluis
Op woensdag 17-06-2009 om 13:46 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Torsten
Bonde Christiansen:
> Hi.
>
> I found in the fpc-pascal archive a short thread on someone converting
> FastMM4 to FPC.
>
> Does anyone know if this succeeded or if the curret (4.92) version of
> FastMM4 can be used with fpc?

I thought it was for a large part written in assembly. So even when you
could usi it, only on windows-i386.

Joost

Re: FastMM4 revised.

Werner Bochtler
Joost van der Sluis schrieb:

> Op woensdag 17-06-2009 om 13:46 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Torsten
> Bonde Christiansen:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I found in the fpc-pascal archive a short thread on someone converting
>> FastMM4 to FPC.
>>
>> Does anyone know if this succeeded or if the curret (4.92) version of
>> FastMM4 can be used with fpc?
>
> I thought it was for a large part written in assembly. So even when you
> could usi it, only on windows-i386.

1. FastMM4 can also be used on linux (-> kylix) but the assembler code
is not PIC-safe i. e. can't be used in linux shared libraries.

2. Using {$undef ASMVersion} in FastMM4 replaces most of the assembler
functions with native pascal functions.

3. FastMM4 can't be used without modifications with FPC.

If there is any interest, I could provide a patched (but not thoroughly
testet!) version 4.92 which is based on extensions originally made by
Adrian Veith for version 4.46.

Additionally my patched version also contains some modifications to make
FastMM PIC-safe. As mentioned before: This version has not been tested,
i. e. some work to make it stable working will probably be necessary.

Werner

Re: FastMM4 revised.

Werner Bochtler wrote:
> If there is any interest, I could provide a patched (but not thoroughly
> testet!) version 4.92 which is based on extensions originally made by
> Adrian Veith for version 4.46.
>
> Additionally my patched version also contains some modifications to make
> FastMM PIC-safe. As mentioned before: This version has not been tested,
> i. e. some work to make it stable working will probably be necessary.

I would be interested, and perhaps i could contribute to your work if
i'm able to.

-Torsten.