FPC vs. Lazarus regarding some units...

Cleverson Casarin Uliana
Hello, beginer here:

Some years ago, I tried to port an old Delphi program to FreePascal, and
discovered I had to use the entire Lazarus and not FPC alone due to some
units missing, e.g. MMSystem. I then installed Lazarus and was able to
compile most of the software, but since it was mostly for fun, I leaved
it somewhat incomplete by that time.

Now I'd like to try it again. Since that program doesn't require a fancy
desktop interface, and since I'm already accustomed to another text
editor (which serves me well as an IDE), I was wondering if I must get
Lazarus again or the standalone FPC is enough.

Because I don't know very well the FPC/Lazarus ecosystem, I'm actually
curious: Why some units like the mentioned MMSystem are delivered with
Lazarus but not with FPC? In case I install FPC and some unit gets
missing, is it possible to get it without getting the entire Lazarus and
all its overhead?

Thanks,
Cleverson

Re: FPC vs. Lazarus regarding some units...

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2017-10-29 00:53, Cleverson Casarin Uliana wrote:
> I was wondering if I must get
> Lazarus again or the standalone FPC is enough.

If your programs don't rely on the VCL (Delphi's Visual Component
Library. ie: TButton, TForm etc), that means they shouldn't need to rely
on the LCL, so then only using FPC should be fine.

Regards,
   Graeme

Re: FPC vs. Lazarus regarding some units...

Juha Manninen
On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 2:53 AM, Cleverson Casarin Uliana
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why some units like the mentioned MMSystem are
> delivered with Lazarus but not with FPC?

MMSystem is not delivered with Lazarus. I don't know what you are writing about.

Juha

Re: FPC vs. Lazarus regarding some units...

Bart-48
On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Juha Manninen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 2:53 AM, Cleverson Casarin Uliana
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Why some units like the mentioned MMSystem are
>> delivered with Lazarus but not with FPC?
>
> MMSystem is not delivered with Lazarus. I don't know what you are writing about.

MMSystem is delivered with fpc (at least with my current version: 3.0.4rc1).

Bart

Em 29/10/2017 09:47, Bart escreveu:
> MMSystem is delivered with fpc (at least with my current version: 3.0.4rc1).

Good to know, it wasn't the case some 3-4 years ago.

Thank you all who answered.
Cleverson

Re: FPC vs. Lazarus regarding some units...

Marco van de Voort
In our previous episode, Cleverson Casarin Uliana said:
> > MMSystem is delivered with fpc (at least with my current version: 3.0.4rc1).
> >
> Good to know, it wasn't the case some 3-4 years ago.

At least since 2005 (cvs->svn change)

Reading your messages, I suspect your originally misconfigured FPC,
including only RTL, and not packages.

Em 29/10/2017 11:25, Marco van de Voort escreveu:
> Reading your messages, I suspect your originally misconfigured FPC,
> including only RTL, and not packages.

It's possible yes, thanks for the hint, will be more careful this time. :)

Cleverson

Re: FPC vs. Lazarus regarding some units...

wkitty42
On 10/29/2017 07:07 AM, Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 2:53 AM, Cleverson Casarin Uliana
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Why some units like the mentioned MMSystem are
>> delivered with Lazarus but not with FPC?
>
> MMSystem is not delivered with Lazarus. I don't know what you are writing about.

does the delphi conversion system convert those MMSystem calls to something
else? i remember seeing something about that back when i was trying to convert a
delphi project several years ago... that brought some more changes and fixes to
the delphi conversion process...

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 5:28 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> does the delphi conversion system convert those MMSystem calls
> to something else?

Now the converter just removes MMSystem from uses section.
I don't know how it should be converted. Maybe it should be left untouched.

> i remember seeing something about that back when i was trying to
> convert a delphi project several years ago... that brought some more changes
> and fixes to the delphi conversion process...

I don't remember details.
Anyway the unit names in uses section that are replaced / removed,
including MMSystem, can be configured by user.

Juha