FPC sources in FreeBSD

Juha Manninen
Hello

I installed FreeBSD 10.3 under VirtualBox. This is the first time I
use FreeBSD. Cool!
I managed to install X, XFCE and all applications I need.
FPC and Lazarus both work.

Only thing missing now is FPC source code, needed by Lazarus.
Can it be installed from ports with "pkg" command?
I don't see sources in "pkg search fpc" output list.

BTW, the list starts like this:
 # pkg search fpc
 fpc-3.0.0 Free Pascal compiler with Turbo and Delphi

Funny :)

Another thing missing from my FreeBSD is proper keyboard mapping. It
behaves like US keyboard now.
I remember similar problems with Linux distros a _long_ time ago.
Anyway, this is not an FPC issue. I will find the configuration somewhere.

One more question:
Is installing OpenBSD much more difficult? I may try it, too.

Regards,
Juha

Re: FPC sources in FreeBSD

fredvs
Hello Juha.

There is a FreeBSD distro with fpc 2.6.4 + 3.0.0 installed : polYdev.

Here announcement on FreeBSD forum :
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/53085/

Here where to download the iso :
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9nMtGPLtz40fklIUFdFMFl2R25wUFJfTEtEQ3pocjRjaU5CdUl3S0pFaHdYdktVNWg4V2M&usp=sharing

Fre;D
Many thanks ;-)

Re: FPC sources in FreeBSD

fredvs
Hello Juha.

There is a FreeBSD distro with fpc 2.6.4 + 3.0.0 installed : polYdev.

Here announcement on FreeBSD forum :
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/53085/

Here where to download the iso :
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9nMtGPLtz40fklIUFdFMFl2R25wUFJfTEtEQ3pocjRjaU5CdUl3S0pFaHdYdktVNWg4V2M&usp=sharing

And here the source-code of the distro:
https://github.com/fredvs/polYdev

Fre;D
Many thanks ;-)

Re: FPC sources in FreeBSD

On 2016-07-08 21:03, Juha Manninen wrote:
> I installed FreeBSD 10.3 under VirtualBox. This is the first time I
> use FreeBSD. Cool!

Welcome to the club. Next stop... install FreeBSD has your host OS.

> Only thing missing now is FPC source code, needed by Lazarus.
> Can it be installed from ports with "pkg" command?

'pkg' install pre-built applications. 'ports' installs everything from
source, and leaves the archives it downloaded in /usr/ports/distfiles/

Saying that, for the last 6 years I've only every installed FPC from the
official FPC installers on SourceForge. I also download the FPC Source
archives from there. I do this for FreeBSD, Linux and Windows and never
had any issues.

Lazarus I then get from my Git mirror and compile a IDE binary myself.
Again, I do this for all platforms I run.

> Another thing missing from my FreeBSD is proper keyboard mapping.

You can set that up inside /etc/X11/xorg.conf

For example

Section "InputDevice"
        ## Filco tenkeyless keyboard
        Identifier  "Keyboard1"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel"   "pc104"
        Option      "XkbVariant" "dvorak-alt-intl"
EndSection

If you run KDE, Mate, Gnome2 etc, they have their own keyboard setup in
whatever is their Control Panel dialog. I run a plainwindow manager
(JWM) instead of a bloated desktop environment. I used to configure my
keyboard via xorg.conf as shown above, but now simply add a xmodmap line
in my ~/.xinitrc file, before the line that launches JWM.

   xscreensaver -no-splash &
   redshift -c ~/.config/redshift.conf &
   xmodmap /data/devel/dvorak.xmodmap
   exec /usr/local/bin/jwm

> One more question:
> Is installing OpenBSD much more difficult? I may try it, too.

I've never tried OpenBSD. But if you want a more "linux like" experience
(everything gets configured for you), then try PC-BSD. They have a
nicely configured KDE by default, AppCafe for your application needs, a
Control Panel etc. Apparently PC-BSD is a stock FreeBSD with desktop
software and helper tools bolted on top.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: FPC sources in FreeBSD

fredvs
Hello Graeme.

I've never tried OpenBSD. But if you want a more "linux like" experience
(everything gets configured for you), then try PC-BSD.

Huh, afaik, PC-BSD is based on FreeBSD.

On my way, I prefer GhostBSD than PC-BSD. I always had problem with PC-BSD and GhostBSD works out-of-the box.

Fre;D
Many thanks ;-)

Re: FPC sources in FreeBSD

fredvs
Juha Manninen wrote
Another thing missing from my FreeBSD is proper keyboard mapping. It
behaves like US keyboard now.
Hello.

You may use, if xorg was installed, in console :

setxkbmap xx

For example: setxkbmap us or setxkbmap fr or setxkbmap it,...

But, like Graeme noted, with PC-BSD or GhostBSD or polYdev, it can be done at installation.

Fre;D

Many thanks ;-)

Re: FPC sources in FreeBSD

Marc Santhoff-2
On Fr, 2016-07-08 at 23:03 +0300, Juha Manninen wrote:

> Hello
>
> I installed FreeBSD 10.3 under VirtualBox. This is the first time I
> use FreeBSD. Cool!
> I managed to install X, XFCE and all applications I need.
> FPC and Lazarus both work.
>
> Only thing missing now is FPC source code, needed by Lazarus.
> Can it be installed from ports with "pkg" command?
> I don't see sources in "pkg search fpc" output list.

I never did that. Fpc in the ports has been fragmented into lots of
single ports in the past. Since I prefer to have anything in one go I do
the same as Graeme, using the official installers.

For lazarus anything I do is get the source, unpack an type "make
bigide" in it's directory.

> Another thing missing from my FreeBSD is proper keyboard mapping. It
> behaves like US keyboard now.

If you run X by the start script "startx" it is sufficient to add the
following line to the file ".xinitrc" in you home directory:

setxkbmap de

Replacing the "de" with what you need. Type "man setxkbmap" in a
terminal (xterm) for more info. And don't get confused, names starting
with a dot are hidden but existing.

Have fun,
Marc

Re: FPC sources in FreeBSD

Juha Manninen
Thanks everybody for help and comments.
My memory is recovering slowly about keyboard configuration. It was
many years ago I did it manually for Linux distros.
But yes, "setxkbmap fi" in .xinitrc did the job.

I confused "pkg" and "ports". Must learn more about the topic.

I am quite happy with my current host OS, Manjaro Linux + KDE. Not
planning to change it.
BSD experiments are for general learning and for testing Lazarus trunk
with them.
For example this bug report can very likely be closed but I wanted to
check myself:

Juha

Re: FPC sources in FreeBSD

Marc Santhoff-2
On Sa, 2016-07-09 at 12:28 +0300, Juha Manninen wrote:
> Thanks everybody for help and comments.
> My memory is recovering slowly about keyboard configuration. It was
> many years ago I did it manually for Linux distros.
> But yes, "setxkbmap fi" in .xinitrc did the job.
>
> I confused "pkg" and "ports". Must learn more about the topic.

Easy if you know:

ports      are sources ported to FreeBSD, the port holds patches,
           building rules, configuration, etc. They live in "the
           ports tree" usually in /usr/ports, if you installed it

packages   are binary, precompiled programs, made from ports. Can be
           installed directly using "pkg".

pkg        is the program for installing, deleting, getting info about
           packages, a package managing program.

> I am quite happy with my current host OS, Manjaro Linux + KDE. Not
> planning to change it.

So you know about dot-names for hidden files and other basics. ;)

Marc

Re: FPC sources in FreeBSD

Juha Manninen
On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So you know about dot-names for hidden files and other basics. ;)

Yes sure.
Now I have apparently forgotten much of what I learned a long time
ago, although it comes back after some repetition.

Juha