FPC on SPARC

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
What needs to be done to revitalise FPC on SPARC? Without wanting to commit
myself since I've already got more work than I can cope with is it something
that somebody who is neither a core FPC developer nor a RISC guru can help with?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: FPC on SPARC

Florian Klämpfl
Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> What needs to be done to revitalise FPC on SPARC? Without wanting to commit
> myself since I've already got more work than I can cope with is it something
> that somebody who is neither a core FPC developer nor a RISC guru can help with?

It should be in a good shape, what's needed is a maintainer who's
building releases, handling/testing bug reports etc. Simply the annoying
work nobody wants to do :)

Re: FPC on SPARC

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> It should be in a good shape, what's needed is a maintainer who's
> building releases, handling/testing bug reports etc. Simply the annoying
> work nobody wants to do :)

OK, so if I were to get the last binary release (2.0.0?) I should be able to
bootstrap to 2.0.2. I don't think I've compiled FPC from scratch before- does it
have a test suite? I presume that if I could do an informal build (i.e. I'm not
comitting myself to the formal stuff- time is a problem and I don't have the
experience) it would help the core developers.

'Fraid I don't have anything bigger/newer than 8-way SPARC-32 here, and I try to
avoid running that at this time of year :-)

In the longer term I'd like to get Lazarus running on SPARC. At present I'm
trying the FPC/Lazarus combination every year or so, but particularly now that
Delphi's future is somewhat uncertain...

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: FPC on SPARC

Vincent Snijders
Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>
>>It should be in a good shape, what's needed is a maintainer who's
>>building releases, handling/testing bug reports etc. Simply the annoying
>>work nobody wants to do :)
>

> OK, so if I were to get the last binary release (2.0.0?) I should be able to
> bootstrap to 2.0.2. I don't think I've compiled FPC from scratch before- does it
> have a test suite? I presume that if I could do an informal build (i.e. I'm not
> comitting myself to the formal stuff- time is a problem and I don't have the
> experience) it would help the core developers.
>
> 'Fraid I don't have anything bigger/newer than 8-way SPARC-32 here, and I try to
> avoid running that at this time of year :-)
>
> In the longer term I'd like to get Lazarus running on SPARC. At present I'm
> trying the FPC/Lazarus combination every year or so, but particularly now that
> Delphi's future is somewhat uncertain...

In the past (+/- March 2006) I offered to create sparc-solaris snapshots
  based on fpc 2.1.1 and lazarus svn version. I only had a ssh account
to that machine, so I couldn't do any testing.

Nobody stepped forward to do the testing, so I never actually made a
package for it, just verified, that Lazarus could be built on it.

Vincent

Re: FPC on SPARC

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Tomas Hajny wrote:

> In any case, you might try compilation of sources exported from SVN tag
> release_2_0_4_rc2 - starting with "make compiler_cycle" in fpcsrc
> directory and then possibly continuing with release-like build. I guess
> that this could be done using the makepack script, but I'm not doing any
> Unix builds myself, so I'm not sure. You could check the
> Release_engineering page in our Wiki
> (http://www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/Release_engineering) for
> additional information. It would be most welcome if you could provide us
> with feedback regarding your results before this weekend.

Thanks, noted. I'm very much a beginner at Open Source development, and I don't
have SVN experience- that leaves me with a heck of a lot of work before I find
my feet and I must stress that time is already a problem here.

> BTW, can you compile for both sparc-linux and sparc-sunos, or just one of
> them?

Not sure yet. I've got Debian with 2.4 on one machine, and either 2.2 or Solaris
v8 on another- in the latter case I think I have limited ability to update
libraries since it took a lot of work getting the architecture running and I
really don't want to break anything.