FPC on Mac OS X

Sandy Moir
I'm trying to run FPC 2.2 on my G5 iMac (PPC) under OS X 10.4.11.
It's unclear to me if this can *only* be run from Terminal; I had
expected it to be a "normal" Mac application. After installing Xcode
2.2.0 and FPC, I can find fpc in /usr/local/bin, but there's no sign
of anything in Applications.  I don't want to use the command line
version unless there's no other way.

Apologies if I'm sending this query to the wrong list; I've had a
*little* experience of Terminal, and have used Borland Turbo Pascal
several years ago on an old Mac Plus. Any help will be appreciated!

Sandy Moir

Re: FPC on Mac OS X

Jonas Maebe-2

On 10 Mar 2008, at 21:22, Sandy Moir wrote:

> I'm trying to run FPC 2.2 on my G5 iMac (PPC) under OS X 10.4.11.
> It's unclear to me if this can *only* be run from Terminal; I had
> expected it to be a "normal" Mac application. After installing Xcode
> 2.2.0 and FPC, I can find fpc in /usr/local/bin, but there's no sign
> of anything in Applications.  I don't want to use the command line
> version unless there's no other way.

You can also use it via Xcode. See the "How to use" section of the
"FPC Xcode ReadMe.rtf" file on the installation disk image.

Another (and much easier to use) possibility is LWP:
http://www.ragnemalm.se/lightweight/

Re: FPC on Mac OS X

Tobias Giesen-2
Hi Sandy,

FPC is just the command line compiler. I suppose you could integrate
it with Apple's XCode, but the real GUI that goes with it is
called Lazarus. The installation is a bit complicated but it will make
you very happy. The instructions are here:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/OS_X_Programming_Tips

And the discussion list is here:

Kind Regards,
Tobias Giesen

Super Flexible Software Ltd. & Co. KG
Lessingstr. 42
48485 Neuenkirchen, Germany
www.superflexible.com
www.tgtools.com

Registered at register court Steinfurt as HRA 5061
Liability / general partner: TGTools Ltd.
Company No. 05513299
Registered in England and Wales
Directors: Tobias Giesen and Claudia Hübl

FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Bent Normann Olsen
Hi,

I have Lazarus 0.9.25 beta on Intel Mac OS X (2008-04-29), installed with
fpcsrc 2.2.0 (2008-04-29) and fpc 2.2.0 (2008-04-29).

On bugtracker I read there are problems with fpc 2.2.0 on Mac OS X and case
sensitivity of filenames. And therefore I cannot use an unpatched fpc 2.2.0
and need to upgrade to a current 2.2.1 og use fpc 2.0.4.

I have a project in which I suspect case sensitivity to be a problem.

I found fpc-2.2.1-20071214-i386-macosx.dmg at the ftp site, but no fpcsrc
for 2.2.1. Do I need the source code as well?

I just tried to install fpc 2.2.1 and clean/build Lazarus, but it says (many
lines skipped):

  Linking ./hello
  /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lglib-1.2.0
  Error: Error while linking
  TExternalToolList.Run Exception: Error: Error while linking
  TMainIDE.DoBuildLazarus: Build Lazarus without linking failed.

How do I patch my fpc 2.2.0?

Cheers,
Normann

Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Vincent Snijders
Bent Normann Olsen schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I have Lazarus 0.9.25 beta on Intel Mac OS X (2008-04-29), installed with
> fpcsrc 2.2.0 (2008-04-29) and fpc 2.2.0 (2008-04-29).
>
> On bugtracker I read there are problems with fpc 2.2.0 on Mac OS X and case
> sensitivity of filenames. And therefore I cannot use an unpatched fpc 2.2.0
> and need to upgrade to a current 2.2.1 og use fpc 2.0.4.

These snapshots have been patched already.

> I have a project in which I suspect case sensitivity to be a problem.
>
> I found fpc-2.2.1-20071214-i386-macosx.dmg at the ftp site, but no fpcsrc
> for 2.2.1. Do I need the source code as well?
>
> I just tried to install fpc 2.2.1 and clean/build Lazarus, but it says (many
> lines skipped):

>   Linking ./hello
>   /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lglib-1.2.0
>   Error: Error while linking
>   TExternalToolList.Run Exception: Error: Error while linking
>   TMainIDE.DoBuildLazarus: Build Lazarus without linking failed.

Do you have /sw/lib/libglib-1.2.0.dylib ?

See
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_MacOS_X#Required_software
on how to install the required gtk1 libraries.

Vincent

RE: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Bent Normann Olsen
Yes, I have /sw/lib/libglib-1.2.0.dylib

I will take a look at the wiki on installing Lazarus.

Thanks,
Normann

> I have Lazarus 0.9.25 beta on Intel Mac OS X (2008-04-29), installed with
> fpcsrc 2.2.0 (2008-04-29) and fpc 2.2.0 (2008-04-29).
>
> On bugtracker I read there are problems with fpc 2.2.0 on Mac OS X and
case
> sensitivity of filenames. And therefore I cannot use an unpatched fpc
2.2.0
> and need to upgrade to a current 2.2.1 og use fpc 2.0.4.

These snapshots have been patched already.

> I have a project in which I suspect case sensitivity to be a problem.
>
> I found fpc-2.2.1-20071214-i386-macosx.dmg at the ftp site, but no fpcsrc
> for 2.2.1. Do I need the source code as well?
>
> I just tried to install fpc 2.2.1 and clean/build Lazarus, but it says
(many
> lines skipped):

>   Linking ./hello
>   /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lglib-1.2.0
>   Error: Error while linking
>   TExternalToolList.Run Exception: Error: Error while linking
>   TMainIDE.DoBuildLazarus: Build Lazarus without linking failed.

Do you have /sw/lib/libglib-1.2.0.dylib ?

See
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_MacOS_X#Required_so
ftware
on how to install the required gtk1 libraries.

Vincent

Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Bent Normann Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just tried to install fpc 2.2.1 and clean/build Lazarus, but it says (many
> lines skipped):

>  Linking ./hello
>  /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lglib-1.2.0

You are building Lazarus for Gtk 1. I recommend against doing that,
because copy+paste won't work, it's needs X11 and fink to run, etc.

Build Lazarus instead for the native Carbon interface:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Carbon_Interface#Compiling_the_Lazarus_IDE_with_the_Carbon_interface_via_Makefile_.28only_for_alpha-testing.29

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schreef:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Bent Normann Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just tried to install fpc 2.2.1 and clean/build Lazarus, but it says (many
>> lines skipped):

>>  Linking ./hello
>>  /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lglib-1.2.0
>
> You are building Lazarus for Gtk 1. I recommend against doing that,
> because copy+paste won't work, it's needs X11 and fink to run, etc.
>
> Build Lazarus instead for the native Carbon interface:

Why don't the Mac OS X maintainers for Lazarus change the default LCLPLATFORM in the
Lazarus makefiles to carbon, if that is the recommended widget set?

Vincent

Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Mattias Gaertner
Zitat von Vincent Snijders <[hidden email]>:

> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schreef:
> > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Bent Normann Olsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> I just tried to install fpc 2.2.1 and clean/build Lazarus, but it says
> (many
> >> lines skipped):

> >>  Linking ./hello
> >>  /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lglib-1.2.0
> >
> > You are building Lazarus for Gtk 1. I recommend against doing that,
> > because copy+paste won't work, it's needs X11 and fink to run, etc.
> >
> > Build Lazarus instead for the native Carbon interface:
>
> Why don't the Mac OS X maintainers for Lazarus change the default LCLPLATFORM
> in the
> Lazarus makefiles to carbon, if that is the recommended widget set?

It will change, as soon it works 'better'. Some months ago it was not. The
carbon was easier to compile/install, but it had some bugs and unstabilities
making the IDE hardly usable for non devels.
How many major bugs are left for the carbon widget set?

Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Mattias Gärtner
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It will change, as soon it works 'better'.

Sure, but what does better mean? Better then what? Is there any real
alternative at the moment to the Carbon IDE?

Have you ever worked with the Gtk IDE under Mac OS X? The installation
problems are just the point of the iceberg. Copy+Paste doesn't work.
Do you see how this can be annoying? You open your e-mail, want to
paste some code to the editor and bang, it's impossible =/

Also, It crashed every 5 minutes. It looks crappy. It is absolutely
unusable, even for developers, and trust me, I tryed to use it for a
long time, and I eventually gave up because it's simply unusable.

I use the Carbon IDE daily and there are only some minor bugs (all
already reported). Sometimes the tabs show the wrong file, sometimes
it needs a restart, but it looks very good, is very fast, doesn't need
X11, copy+paste works, it never crashed for me, ...

I think that the Carbon IDE is ready on it's own merits, and even if
there are bugs, there is no other alternative, so it's irrelevant.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Damien Gerard

Le May 23, 2008 à 3:19 PM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho a écrit :

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Mattias Gärtner
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It will change, as soon it works 'better'.
>
> Sure, but what does better mean? Better then what? Is there any real
> alternative at the moment to the Carbon IDE?
>
> Have you ever worked with the Gtk IDE under Mac OS X? The installation
> problems are just the point of the iceberg. Copy+Paste doesn't work.
> Do you see how this can be annoying? You open your e-mail, want to
> paste some code to the editor and bang, it's impossible =/
>
> Also, It crashed every 5 minutes. It looks crappy. It is absolutely
> unusable, even for developers, and trust me, I tryed to use it for a
> long time, and I eventually gave up because it's simply unusable.
>
> I use the Carbon IDE daily and there are only some minor bugs (all
> already reported). Sometimes the tabs show the wrong file, sometimes
> it needs a restart, but it looks very good, is very fast, doesn't need
> X11, copy+paste works, it never crashed for me, ...
>
> I think that the Carbon IDE is ready on it's own merits, and even if
> there are bugs, there is no other alternative, so it's irrelevant.

Agreed. It needs improvements for sure, but it works well and it is
far better than GTK1/2

--
Damien Gerard
[hidden email]

"Intelligence is 10 million rules."
    -- Douglas Lenat

Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Mattias Gaertner
Zitat von Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Mattias Gärtner
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It will change, as soon it works 'better'.
>
> Sure, but what does better mean? Better then what? Is there any real
> alternative at the moment to the Carbon IDE?
>
> Have you ever worked with the Gtk IDE under Mac OS X?

Yes, but this is long ago.

> The installation
> problems are just the point of the iceberg. Copy+Paste doesn't work.
> Do you see how this can be annoying? You open your e-mail, want to
> paste some code to the editor and bang, it's impossible =/
>
> Also, It crashed every 5 minutes. It looks crappy. It is absolutely
> unusable, even for developers, and trust me, I tryed to use it for a
> long time, and I eventually gave up because it's simply unusable.

Apparently it worked better for me.

> I use the Carbon IDE daily and there are only some minor bugs (all
> already reported). Sometimes the tabs show the wrong file, sometimes
> it needs a restart, but it looks very good, is very fast, doesn't need
> X11, copy+paste works, it never crashed for me, ...
>
> I think that the Carbon IDE is ready on it's own merits, and even if
> there are bugs, there is no other alternative, so it's irrelevant.

Great.
I was little bit worried about the heavy development and the bugs in the
tracker. But if the development does no longer create new bugs for the IDE,
then let's change it.
Will you do that?