FPC i386 and x86_64 using the same source

FPC i386 and x86_64 using the same source

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
Hi,
I want to use a single source for i386 and x86_64 in the FPC as well as Lazarus.
So, I downloaded a clean and fixes_2_6 and ran make x64 without
'install' parameter.

I pointed the INSTALL_PREFIX to another folder. It was
"installed" the FPC (see attachment) with only the exe and PPU
needed ... and this is very good. But in the folder of the sources were
created many other EXEs (utility tools (?)) specific to platform x64
and this is my problem.

In my opinion, everything that was created should have a prefix folder
specifying your TARGET.
If I compile the FPC to x64 plataform all these binaries only will run
on this platform. I want to have each file/exe/ppu/etc for each
platform.

Marcos Douglas

installed.JPG (13K) Download Attachment

Re: FPC i386 and x86_64 using the same source

Jonas Maebe-2

On 22 Aug 2011, at 22:51, Marcos Douglas wrote:

> In my opinion, everything that was created should have a prefix folder
> specifying your TARGET.
> If I compile the FPC to x64 plataform all these binaries only will run
> on this platform. I want to have each file/exe/ppu/etc for each
> platform.

That is not supported. You also have not explained why you want all utilities compiled for multiple platforms under the same prefix.

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2011, at 22:51, Marcos Douglas wrote:
>
>> In my opinion, everything that was created should have a prefix folder
>> specifying your TARGET.
>> If I compile the FPC to x64 plataform all these binaries only will run
>> on this platform. I want to have each file/exe/ppu/etc for each
>> platform.
>

> That is not supported. You also have not explained why you want all utilities compiled for multiple platforms under the same prefix.

So, I understood right, is not supported.
I not need these utilities and I do not know if they all are important
or who uses them, etc.
But if, one day, I will use some utility, I shoud compile it to use
because I never know if it is 32 or 64bit. I'm right?

What do you recommends?
1. Keep two sources, one to each plataform or;
2. Keep the same source, with specific directories for each plataform,
ignoring the utilities.

Marcos Douglas

On 22 Aug 2011, at 23:08, Marcos Douglas wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 22 Aug 2011, at 22:51, Marcos Douglas wrote:
>>
>>> In my opinion, everything that was created should have a prefix folder
>>> specifying your TARGET.
>>> If I compile the FPC to x64 plataform all these binaries only will run
>>> on this platform. I want to have each file/exe/ppu/etc for each
>>> platform.
>>
>> That is not supported. You also have not explained why you want all utilities compiled for multiple platforms under the same prefix.
>
> So, I understood right, is not supported.
> I not need these utilities and I do not know if they all are important
> or who uses them, etc.

Some of them are used by the makefiles, some by the compiler and some by the user.

> But if, one day, I will use some utility, I shoud compile it to use
> because I never know if it is 32 or 64bit. I'm right?

It doesn't matter whether it is 32 or 64 bit, it will do exactly the same (except for "fpc", which will call ppcx64 if it was compiled for 64 bit, and ppc386 if it was compiled for 32 bit).

> What do you recommends?
> 1. Keep two sources, one to each plataform or;
> 2. Keep the same source, with specific directories for each plataform,
> ignoring the utilities.

3. Install everything to the same prefix. Add CROSSINSTALL=1 to the "make install" line for which you do *not* want to install the utilities (e.g., if you want the default compiler to be the i386 one, add CROSSINSTALL=1 when installing the 64 bit compiler)

Re: FPC i386 and x86_64 using the same source

Den Jean
On Monday 22 August 2011 23:24:29 Jonas Maebe wrote:
> 3. Install everything to the same prefix. Add CROSSINSTALL=1 to the "make
> install" line for which you do not want to install the utilities (e.g., if
> you want the default compiler to be the i386 one, add CROSSINSTALL=1 when
> installing the 64 bit compiler)
these options like crosszipinstall, crossinstall, ... are probably documented
in a dozen places, albeit not visible enough for my blind eyes.
Wouldn't it be nice if they showed up in the BuildFaq
http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq.pdf

regards,

Den Jean

Re: FPC i386 and x86_64 using the same source

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 23/08/2011, Den Jean wrote:
> these options like crosszipinstall, crossinstall, ... are probably
> documented  in a dozen places, albeit not visible enough for my blind eyes.

+1
These settings seem very confusing, and definitely hard to find in any
documentation.

I just searched all my PDF docs for FPC, and couldn't find a single
reference to 'crossinstall' anywhere. :-(

Maybe it's time we create a FreeVision front-end to the build system.
:) I would find this very helpful for my various FPC builds too, so
I'll see what I can come up with - though I don't know FreeVision at
all (should be interesting though).

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Jonas Maebe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2011, at 23:08, Marcos Douglas wrote:
>> So, I understood right, is not supported.
>> I not need these utilities and I do not know if they all are important
>> or who uses them, etc.
>
> Some of them are used by the makefiles, some by the compiler and some by the user.

So, them are very important.

>> But if, one day, I will use some utility, I shoud compile it to use
>> because I never know if it is 32 or 64bit. I'm right?
>
> It doesn't matter whether it is 32 or 64 bit, it will do exactly the
> same (except for "fpc", which will call ppcx64 if it was compiled
> for 64 bit, and ppc386 if it was compiled for 32 bit).

Of course it matters! 64 bit doesn't works in OS 32 bit. That is my problem.
I'm configuring a HD external with my all environment.

> 3. Install everything to the same prefix. Add CROSSINSTALL=1
> to the "make install" line for which you do *not* want to install the
> utilities (e.g., if you want the default compiler to be the i386 one,
> add CROSSINSTALL=1 when installing the 64 bit compiler)

Hm... OK, I will try. Looks like that is I want.
But which magic "CROSSINSTALL=1" does? Do you have a link where I can
study more about it?

Marcos Douglas

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Den Jean <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Monday 22 August 2011 23:24:29 Jonas Maebe wrote:
>> 3. Install everything to the same prefix. Add CROSSINSTALL=1 to the "make
>> install" line for which you do not want to install the utilities (e.g., if
>> you want the default compiler to be the i386 one, add CROSSINSTALL=1 when
>> installing the 64 bit compiler)
> these options like crosszipinstall, crossinstall, ... are probably documented
> in a dozen places, albeit not visible enough for my blind eyes.
> Wouldn't it be nice if they showed up in the BuildFaq
> http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq.pdf

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 3:46 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23/08/2011, Den Jean wrote:
>> these options like crosszipinstall, crossinstall, ... are probably
>> documented  in a dozen places, albeit not visible enough for my blind eyes.
>
> +1
> These settings seem very confusing, and definitely hard to find in any
> documentation.
>
> I just searched all my PDF docs for FPC, and couldn't find a single
> reference to 'crossinstall' anywhere. :-(

x2

Marcos Douglas

On 23 Aug 2011, at 08:46, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> I just searched all my PDF docs for FPC, and couldn't find a single
> reference to 'crossinstall' anywhere. :-(

The FPC documentation does not document building FPC itself, that is what the buildfaq is for (although apparently it doesn't mention this particular option).

Re: FPC i386 and x86_64 using the same source

Marco van de Voort
In our previous episode, Jonas Maebe said:

> > I just searched all my PDF docs for FPC, and couldn't find a single
> > reference to 'crossinstall' anywhere. :-(
>
> The FPC documentation does not document building FPC itself, that is what
> the buildfaq is for (although apparently it doesn't mention this
> particular option).

(the main reason being that the FPC documentation is cyclic with version,
and buildfaq was meant as "out of band" documentation, and also documenting
trunk practices)

Anyway, in such cases please file a bugreport with buildfaq in the subject,
and then it will be assigned to me.

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Marco van de Voort <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In our previous episode, Jonas Maebe said:
>>
>> > I just searched all my PDF docs for FPC, and couldn't find a single
>> > reference to 'crossinstall' anywhere. :-(
>>
>> The FPC documentation does not document building FPC itself, that is what
>> the buildfaq is for (although apparently it doesn't mention this
>> particular option).
>
> (the main reason being that the FPC documentation is cyclic with version,
> and buildfaq was meant as "out of band" documentation, and also documenting
> trunk practices)
>
> Anyway, in such cases please file a bugreport with buildfaq in the subject,
> and then it will be assigned to me.

There you go:

Marcos Douglas