FPC + fpGUI + Raspberry Pi = fantastic

I received my Raspberry Pi today, and had a bit of a play. I'm using the
Debian 6 OS with my Pi. I downloaded the FPC+fpGUI ARM archive (only a
3.5MB download), packaged by Paul Breneman.

   http://www.turbocontrol.com/easyfpgui.htm

[Awesome work there, Paul. You can get much easier than than. Just
unpack and you are ready to work.]

It works fantastically well. I could compile all the fpGUI demos without
me having to do anything extra in fpGUI. How cool is that! :-)

All I had to do to get my projects to link successfully, was to install
a few missing packages, which were not included with the Debian 6 distro
for the Pi.

   sudo apt-get update
   sudo apt-get install libX11-dev libXft-dev

I'll have to speak to somebody to see if they could include it as
standard - after all, the Pi is meant for developers to play with. If
anybody has contacts, please let me know.

I even compiled and ran the more complex fpGUI apps like the GUI Forms
Designer, DocView (help viewer), and Maximus (a sample fpGUI IDE). Even
FPTest (my Free Pascal Unit Testing project works).

We (our company) have some big plans for the Raspberry Pi, with a
potentially huge deployment. The first tests with this device is very
promising.

Kudos must also go to the FPC team, for supporting ARM so well!

Maybe with the Raspberry Pi and Free Pascal, we can get Object Pascal
back on the map, and in the hands of young developers. After all, Pascal
was initially designed as a teaching language - easy to learn, read and
write.

Re: FPC + fpGUI + Raspberry Pi = fantastic

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys

> I received my Raspberry Pi today, and had a bit of a play. I'm using the
> Debian 6 OS with my Pi. I downloaded the FPC+fpGUI ARM archive (only a 3.5MB
> download), packaged by Paul Breneman.
>
>   http://www.turbocontrol.com/easyfpgui.htm
>
> [Awesome work there, Paul. You can get much easier than than. Just unpack
> and you are ready to work.]
>
> It works fantastically well. I could compile all the fpGUI demos without
> me having to do anything extra in fpGUI. How cool is that! :-)
>
> All I had to do to get my projects to link successfully, was to install a
> few missing packages, which were not included with the Debian 6 distro for
> the Pi.
>
>   sudo apt-get update
>   sudo apt-get install libX11-dev libXft-dev
>
> I'll have to speak to somebody to see if they could include it as standard
> - after all, the Pi is meant for developers to play with. If anybody has
> contacts, please let me know.
>
> I even compiled and ran the more complex fpGUI apps like the GUI Forms
> Designer, DocView (help viewer), and Maximus (a sample fpGUI IDE). Even
> FPTest (my Free Pascal Unit Testing project works).
>
> We (our company) have some big plans for the Raspberry Pi, with a
> potentially huge deployment. The first tests with this device is very
> promising.
>
> Kudos must also go to the FPC team, for supporting ARM so well!
>
> Maybe with the Raspberry Pi and Free Pascal, we can get Object Pascal back
> on the map, and in the hands of young developers. After all, Pascal was
> initially designed as a teaching language - easy to learn, read and write.

Awesome!

Marcos Douglas

Re: FPC + fpGUI + Raspberry Pi = fantastic

Mark Morgan Lloyd-5
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I received my Raspberry Pi today, and had a bit of a play. I'm using the
> Debian 6 OS with my Pi. I downloaded the FPC+fpGUI ARM archive (only a
> 3.5MB download), packaged by Paul Breneman.

Nice one.

> All I had to do to get my projects to link successfully, was to install
> a few missing packages, which were not included with the Debian 6 distro
> for the Pi.
>
>   sudo apt-get update
>   sudo apt-get install libX11-dev libXft-dev
>
> I'll have to speak to somebody to see if they could include it as
> standard - after all, the Pi is meant for developers to play with. If
> anybody has contacts, please let me know.

I think I've had to install those on any Debian system I've used for
development, so for any change you'd be up against the entire Debian
philosophy. Good luck.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: FPC + fpGUI + Raspberry Pi = fantastic

Johann Glaser
Hi!

Am Donnerstag, den 13.09.2012, 16:34 +0100 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:

> Hi,
>
> I received my Raspberry Pi today, and had a bit of a play. I'm using the
> Debian 6 OS with my Pi. I downloaded the FPC+fpGUI ARM archive (only a
> 3.5MB download), packaged by Paul Breneman.
>
>    http://www.turbocontrol.com/easyfpgui.htm
>
> [Awesome work there, Paul. You can get much easier than than. Just
> unpack and you are ready to work.]
>
> It works fantastically well. I could compile all the fpGUI demos without
> me having to do anything extra in fpGUI. How cool is that! :-)
>
> All I had to do to get my projects to link successfully, was to install
> a few missing packages, which were not included with the Debian 6 distro
> for the Pi.
>
>    sudo apt-get update
>    sudo apt-get install libX11-dev libXft-dev
>
> I'll have to speak to somebody to see if they could include it as
> standard - after all, the Pi is meant for developers to play with. If
> anybody has contacts, please let me know.
>
> I even compiled and ran the more complex fpGUI apps like the GUI Forms
> Designer, DocView (help viewer), and Maximus (a sample fpGUI IDE). Even
> FPTest (my Free Pascal Unit Testing project works).
>
> We (our company) have some big plans for the Raspberry Pi, with a
> potentially huge deployment. The first tests with this device is very
> promising.
>
> Kudos must also go to the FPC team, for supporting ARM so well!
>
> Maybe with the Raspberry Pi and Free Pascal, we can get Object Pascal
> back on the map, and in the hands of young developers. After all, Pascal
> was initially designed as a teaching language - easy to learn, read and
> write.

Congrulations!

I also played with it, but only did a small "Hello World!" program. :-)
  http://johann-glaser.blogspot.co.at/2012/06/raspberry-pi.html

Bye
  Hansi

On 13/09/12 17:19, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> I think I've had to install those on any Debian system I've used for
> development, so for any change you'd be up against the entire Debian
> philosophy. Good luck.

I don't think one needs to approach the Debian guys directly. I think
one should only need to speak to the people that put together the "pre
packaged" Debian 6 for Pi OS image. That OS image comes pre-configured
with a 'pi' user, and the desktop already contains icons for Python
development, and some sample Python games.

I bought the OS image on a 4GB SD card, but there is about 2GB free on
that SD card. So ample space for the libX11-dev and libXft-dev packages,
and the 5MB needed for the FPC+fpGUI archive.

On 13/09/12 17:35, Johann Glaser wrote:

> I also played with it, but only did a small "Hello World!" program. :-)

:-)

>    http://johann-glaser.blogspot.co.at/2012/06/raspberry-pi.html

Thanks for the hint on your blog about making screenshots. I was just
about to Google on how to do that from inside 'Debian 6 for Pi'. The
normal 'xwd' or 'import' applications where not available (the latter
one pulls in too much dependencies). I'll try 'scrot' now.

Re: FPC + fpGUI + Raspberry Pi = fantastic

Den Jean
On Thursday 13 September 2012 19:55:04 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> normal 'xwd' or 'import' applications where not available (the latter
I do not have a Rasberry, but I noticed that libqt4pas-dev is available
in the packages (just like on the N900). Thx to Matthias Klumpp.

Would you be so kind to try one of the qt4 binding demo programs
just to verify that it works ? Screenshots are welcome.

Btw fpGui is ofcourse fantastic :-)

Package List:
http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/dists/wheezy/main/binary-armhf/Packages
brief listing: grep -P '^Package:' Packages | cut -d' ' -f2

Kind regards,

Den Jean

Am Donnerstag, den 13.09.2012, 19:55 +0100 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:

> On 13/09/12 17:35, Johann Glaser wrote:
> >
> > I also played with it, but only did a small "Hello World!" program. :-)
>
> :-)
>
> >    http://johann-glaser.blogspot.co.at/2012/06/raspberry-pi.html
>
> Thanks for the hint on your blog about making screenshots. I was just
> about to Google on how to do that from inside 'Debian 6 for Pi'. The
> normal 'xwd' or 'import' applications where not available (the latter
> one pulls in too much dependencies). I'll try 'scrot' now.

Haha, yes, I was searching for that a while. :-)

Bye
  Hansi

Re: FPC + fpGUI + Raspberry Pi = fantastic

Paul Breneman
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I received my Raspberry Pi today, and had a bit of a play. I'm using the
> Debian 6 OS with my Pi. I downloaded the FPC+fpGUI ARM archive (only a
> 3.5MB download), packaged by Paul Breneman.
>
>   http://www.turbocontrol.com/easyfpgui.htm
>
> [Awesome work there, Paul. You can get much easier than than. Just
> unpack and you are ready to work.]
>
> It works fantastically well. I could compile all the fpGUI demos without
> me having to do anything extra in fpGUI. How cool is that! :-)
>
> All I had to do to get my projects to link successfully, was to install
> a few missing packages, which were not included with the Debian 6 distro
> for the Pi.
>
>   sudo apt-get update
>   sudo apt-get install libX11-dev libXft-dev
>
> I'll have to speak to somebody to see if they could include it as
> standard - after all, the Pi is meant for developers to play with. If
> anybody has contacts, please let me know.

Hi Graeme, I got my RPi a couple of days ago so we are on the same page!
  :)  Thanks for all your great work with fpGUI!

I used this *very* easy method to load Debian on my RPi:
   http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot

> I even compiled and ran the more complex fpGUI apps like the GUI Forms
> Designer, DocView (help viewer), and Maximus (a sample fpGUI IDE). Even
> FPTest (my Free Pascal Unit Testing project works).

DbgTerm doesn't compile so I hope to update SynaSer for that ASAP.

> We (our company) have some big plans for the Raspberry Pi, with a
> potentially huge deployment. The first tests with this device is very
> promising.
>
> Kudos must also go to the FPC team, for supporting ARM so well!
>
> Maybe with the Raspberry Pi and Free Pascal, we can get Object Pascal
> back on the map, and in the hands of young developers. After all, Pascal
> was initially designed as a teaching language - easy to learn, read and
> write.

I have the separate pieces on the educational project page and hope to
write a tutorial soon so a 12-year-old could spend less than $100 (US)
and program an embedded RPi to monitor house temperatures and send
emails and text messages (daily or more often if temps out of range).

I also think we should take advantage of the RPi educational
opportunities.  If someday we can get a phone with native Linux that too
will hopefully be easy to program like the RPi.

www.TurboControl.com/monitor.htm

Re: FPC + fpGUI + Raspberry Pi = fantastic

> > I think I've had to install those on any Debian system I've used for
> > development, so for any change you'd be up against the entire Debian
> > philosophy. Good luck.
>
> I don't think one needs to approach the Debian guys directly. I think
> one should only need to speak to the people that put together the "pre
> packaged" Debian 6 for Pi OS image.

Is that the old squeeze or Raspbian?

Re: FPC + fpGUI + Raspberry Pi = fantastic

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
On 13/09/12 22:20, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> Is that the old squeeze or Raspbian?

I have the "wheezy" one, which I believe is Raspbian?

    Graeme.

Re: FPC + fpGUI + Raspberry Pi = fantastic

> > Is that the old squeeze or Raspbian?
>
> I have the "wheezy" one, which I believe is Raspbian?

As far as I got it (I'm sure Peter G. can explain it better):

Wheezy is a debian designation. Afaik Debian only supports two ARM targets,
armv5 (EABI, no hardware float) and armv7 (eabi-hf, vfp3-D16).

The pi is armv6 (eabi, vfp2), isn't fully compatible to the formal
v7 -hf debian target, and thus would have to live with lowest common
denomitor armv5, despite having (vfp2) hardware float support

So there is a custom build for v6/vfp(2?) with the name of raspbian. So
Raspian is based on Wheezy source level, but compiled for armv6.

But the images from the PI website with "Wheezy" in their name are v5, and
thus not hf. A month or so back, the PI foundation changed their default
distro from "wheezy" (eabi,v5) to raspbian.

On 13/09/12 23:02, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> But the images from the PI website with "Wheezy" in their name are v5, and
> thus not hf. A month or so back, the PI foundation changed their default
> distro from "wheezy" (eabi,v5) to raspbian.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look of the foundation website.
Mounting my SD card in my normal PC, it seem my Pi OS images is dated
2012-06-17 (based on /etc/rpi-issue file). Also many of the /etc/ files
are dated 17 June 2012.

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> I even compiled and ran the more complex fpGUI apps like the GUI Forms
> Designer, DocView (help viewer), and Maximus (a sample fpGUI IDE). Even
> FPTest (my Free Pascal Unit Testing project works).

I don't believe you've mentioned Maximus here before, does it pull in
the form designer etc.? I wonder whether it would run on Solaris 8 which
doesn't have some of the libraries required for Lazarus?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: FPC + fpGUI + Raspberry Pi = fantastic

On 13/09/12 23:02, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> thus not hf. A month or so back, the PI foundation changed their default
> distro from "wheezy" (eabi,v5) to raspbian.

So far the Raspbian image is pretty rubbish, compared to the
pre-configure one I bought on my SD card. I guess the "raspbian" it too
much "bleeding egde" (read super unstable). The Raspbian one has errors
in raspi-config, so I can set my Dvorak keyboard layout. Eventually
figuring out where the keys are in Qwerty, I managed to start X. The
desktop that loads has NO icons, no menu items, and the menu items that
do exist don't work. I couldn't even manage to run a lxterminal. I can't
even exit the OpenBox session that is running - I had to Ctrl+Alt+F1 and
then Ctrl+C to kill the X server. The mouse pointer is also really
slugish in the X session, and freezes for a split second every 2-3
seconds. It's like something is polling the system every 2-3 seconds,
and freezing the UI while it does.

So for now, I'll restore back to my original Debian 6 "wheezy" (thank
goodness I took a backup) where things worked much smoother. It might
not be the most optimised OS for the Raspberry Pi, but it works much better.

I'll report my problems, so hopefully in the next Raspbian release
things will work better.

Re: FPC + fpGUI + Raspberry Pi = fantastic

> So far the Raspbian image is pretty rubbish, compared to the
> pre-configure one I bought on my SD card. I guess the "raspbian" it too
> much "bleeding egde" (read super unstable). The Raspbian one has errors
> in raspi-config, so I can set my Dvorak keyboard layout. Eventually
> figuring out where the keys are in Qwerty, I managed to start X. The
> desktop that loads has NO icons, no menu items, and the menu items that
> do exist don't work. I couldn't even manage to run a lxterminal. I can't
> even exit the OpenBox session that is running - I had to Ctrl+Alt+F1 and
> then Ctrl+C to kill the X server. The mouse pointer is also really
> slugish in the X session, and freezes for a split second every 2-3
> seconds. It's like something is polling the system every 2-3 seconds,
> and freezing the UI while it does.

Strange. For the the Raspbian image was a spitting image of the wheezy
install (both the process as the result). Same icons, nearly the same place,
midori still to slow to do something practical ( :-))

I don't notice performance impacts, one of the reasons to get the PI was to
get something with arm fpu. I already have armv5's enough.

Did you get the foundation recommended image, or did you get some daily
build or so?

On 14/09/12 10:13, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> Did you get the foundation recommended image, or did you get some daily
> build or so?

The recommended image on this page:

    Raspbian "wheezy"  2012-08-16
      http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

I've just installed the "Pisces" image from the raspbian.org website. So
I'm about to test that one now, and see how it goes.

   http://www.raspbian.org/PiscesImages

On 14/09/12 09:10, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> I don't believe you've mentioned Maximus here before, does it pull in
> the form designer etc.?

Maximus is very basic at the moment. A project manager, syntax
highlighting in editor, macro support in the settings dialogs, Find and
Procedure List (filtered searching of current unit), build groups etc.

No debugging, code completion, code templates or code navigation yet. I
still need to figure out how to integrate fcl-passrc parser to enable
such features. At the moment the goal of Maximus is more an "advanced
demo", than a full feature IDE. I like the idea of fpGUI being
independent of any IDE.

> I wonder whether it would run on Solaris 8 which
> doesn't have some of the libraries required for Lazarus?

I've tested in OpenSolaris 2009 release, but I don't have Solaris 8 to
try. I can say that I have run fpGUI executables under Linux SUSE 9.0
(almost 10 year old distro) too, without any issues. fpGUI only needs
the most basic X11 and Xft libraries - nothing else. This makes it work
on just about any system that can run X11.

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 14/09/12 09:10, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> I don't believe you've mentioned Maximus here before, does it pull in
>> the form designer etc.?

> I've tested in OpenSolaris 2009 release, but I don't have Solaris 8 to
> try. I can say that I have run fpGUI executables under Linux SUSE 9.0
> (almost 10 year old distro) too, without any issues. fpGUI only needs
> the most basic X11 and Xft libraries - nothing else. This makes it work
> on just about any system that can run X11.

I've just taken a look, and while libXft is available for Solaris 10
(see http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_on_Solaris) it's not
available for Solaris 8 (SunOS 5.8). It was just an idle query... it
might turn out to be possible to build it by taking sources of about the
right age from e.g. Slackware 8.1, but right now I've got too much else
on my plate to get into this.

On 14/09/12 14:22, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> It was just an idle query... it might turn out to be possible to build
> it by taking sources of about the right age from e.g. Slackware 8.1, but
> right now I've got too much else on my plate to get into this.

The alternative is to revert fpGUI to using the old non-Xft processed
fonts in X11 - thus giving very ugly looking fonts. That was the
original font support in fpGUI, but I quickly introduced Xft support to
have better looking text in my applications. :)

Graeme.