FPC for Win64

Free Pascal - General mailing list

L.S.

I like to use the 64 bits FPC compiler, but I cannot find any documentation how to use it. I see a WIN32 compiler and a WIN64 cross compiler. How it works is a mystery for me. Can I still use the debugger and the development environment?

--
With kind regardst,
Evert van Dijken

Re: FPC for Win64

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 02/07/2020 9:30 pm, Evert van Dijken via fpc-pascal wrote:
> I see a WIN32 compiler and a WIN64 cross
> compiler. How it works is a mystery for me.

I never understood the choice FPC made to not create a native 64-bit
compiler, but rather stay with a cross-compiler. *shrug*
I've always simply downloaded the latest release source code, and
built my own native 64-bit FPC with the previous FPC release.

I've done this for 10 years - simply because 10 years ago (there
about) I had issues with the cross-compiler generating broken
executables. Obviously that could have been a local problem, but
either way, I didn't trust them since. So I compile my own
native 64-bit version (just like I did for Linux and FreeBSD).

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: FPC for Win64

Florian Klaempfl
Am 04.07.2020 um 20:02 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> On 02/07/2020 9:30 pm, Evert van Dijken via fpc-pascal wrote:
>> I see a WIN32 compiler and a WIN64 cross
>> compiler. How it works is a mystery for me.
>
> I never understood the choice FPC made to not create a native 64-bit
> compiler, but rather stay with a cross-compiler. *shrug*

The main reason is: a win64 hosted compiler cannot cross compile
properly to any other x86-64 target due to missing extended support.

Re: FPC for Win64

On 2020-07-02 22:30, Evert van Dijken via fpc-pascal wrote:

> I like to use the 64 bits FPC compiler, but I cannot find any
> documentation how to use it. I see a WIN32 compiler and a WIN64 cross
> compiler. How it works is a mystery for me. Can I still use the
> debugger and the development environment?

You should install both fpc-3.2.0.i386-win32.exe and
fpc-3.2.0.i386-win32.cross.x86_64-win64.exe. The fact that that the
Win64 compiler is a cross-compiler should not affect you at all in terms
of using it. You can indeed still use the debugger. I don't know whether
a version of the textmode IDE is included for targeting Win64.

Re: FPC for Win64

Florian Klaempfl
Am 05.07.20 um 09:04 schrieb Jonas Maebe:

> On 2020-07-02 22:30, Evert van Dijken via fpc-pascal wrote:
>
>> I like to use the 64 bits FPC compiler, but I cannot find any
>> documentation how to use it. I see a WIN32 compiler and a WIN64 cross
>> compiler. How it works is a mystery for me. Can I still use the
>> debugger and the development environment?
>
> You should install both fpc-3.2.0.i386-win32.exe and
> fpc-3.2.0.i386-win32.cross.x86_64-win64.exe. The fact that that the
> Win64 compiler is a cross-compiler should not affect you at all in terms
> of using it. You can indeed still use the debugger. I don't know whether
> a version of the textmode IDE is included for targeting Win64.

No. But at least at libgdb I got the debugger never working, so it made
no sense to me.

Re: FPC for Win64

Florian Klämpfl <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 5. Juli 2020, 09:22:
Am 05.07.20 um 09:04 schrieb Jonas Maebe:
> On 2020-07-02 22:30, Evert van Dijken via fpc-pascal wrote:
>
>> I like to use the 64 bits FPC compiler, but I cannot find any
>> documentation how to use it. I see a WIN32 compiler and a WIN64 cross
>> compiler. How it works is a mystery for me. Can I still use the
>> debugger and the development environment?
>
> You should install both fpc-3.2.0.i386-win32.exe and
> fpc-3.2.0.i386-win32.cross.x86_64-win64.exe. The fact that that the
> Win64 compiler is a cross-compiler should not affect you at all in terms
> of using it. You can indeed still use the debugger. I don't know whether
> a version of the textmode IDE is included for targeting Win64.

No. But at least at libgdb I got the debugger never working, so it made
no sense to me.

With the new MI based interface it might work however.

Re: FPC for Win64

Rainer Stratmann
Am Samstag, 4. Juli 2020, 20:02:39 CEST schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:

> On 02/07/2020 9:30 pm, Evert van Dijken via fpc-pascal wrote:
> > I see a WIN32 compiler and a WIN64 cross
> > compiler. How it works is a mystery for me.
>
> I never understood the choice FPC made to not create a native 64-bit
> compiler, but rather stay with a cross-compiler. *shrug*
> I've always simply downloaded the latest release source code, and
> built my own native 64-bit FPC with the previous FPC release.
>
> I've done this for 10 years - simply because 10 years ago (there
> about) I had issues with the cross-compiler generating broken
> executables. Obviously that could have been a local problem, but
> either way, I didn't trust them since. So I compile my own
> native 64-bit version (just like I did for Linux and FreeBSD).

For Linux: Does that mean apt-get install lazarus is always the 32bit version?
Regardless of the Linux Version (32bit or 64bit).

> Regards,
>   Graeme

Re: FPC for Win64

Marco van de Voort-3

Op 07/07/2020 om 09:14 schreef Rainer Stratmann:
> For Linux: Does that mean apt-get install lazarus is always the 32bit version?
> Regardless of the Linux Version (32bit or 64bit).

No. The reason for no 64-bit compiler is specific to Windows 64-bit.

Re: FPC for Win64

Rainer Stratmann
Am Dienstag, 7. Juli 2020, 09:42:54 CEST schrieb Marco van de Voort:
> Op 07/07/2020 om 09:14 schreef Rainer Stratmann:
> > For Linux: Does that mean apt-get install lazarus is always the 32bit
> > version? Regardless of the Linux Version (32bit or 64bit).
>
> No. The reason for no 64-bit compiler is specific to Windows 64-bit.

Then how to install a 32-bit Lazarus/FPC on a 64-bit Linux Debian System?

Re: FPC for Win64

Tomas Hajny-2
On 2020-07-07 10:28, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 7. Juli 2020, 09:42:54 CEST schrieb Marco van de Voort:
>> Op 07/07/2020 om 09:14 schreef Rainer Stratmann:
>> > For Linux: Does that mean apt-get install lazarus is always the 32bit
>> > version? Regardless of the Linux Version (32bit or 64bit).
>>
>> No. The reason for no 64-bit compiler is specific to Windows 64-bit.
>
> Then how to install a 32-bit Lazarus/FPC on a 64-bit Linux Debian
> System?

In general - talking about tools like apt, these provide means for
selecting the requested architecture (32-bit or 64-bit). Whether the
respective packages are ready for such tools is another question and
more appropriate for people responsible for packages in the individual
Linux distributions.

As far as FPC is concerned, there's nothing preventing you to install
the 32-bit version on a 64-bit Linux Debian system. I believe that
there's no ready-made package providing a 32-bit hosted 64-bit
cross-compiler for Linux in our builds at the moment, because it's
easier to install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions side by side in cases
like this (i.e. the cross-compiler would be really needed only for users
interested in building 64-bit applications on a 32-bit machine, but
there probably aren't too many people with such a need and they can
always build it for themselves). I can't talk about Lazarus.

Tomas