FPC attributes / annotations support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FPC attributes / annotations support

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
Bringing a discussion from the Lazarus mailing list to here.


On 2017-09-24 09:13, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
 > It's called Attributes. FPC has it too, but it is not yet in trunk.

Is there a timeline when FPC might support attributes/annotations in trunk?

Regards,
   Graeme

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Free Pascal - General mailing list

Am 11.10.2017 14:45 schrieb "Graeme Geldenhuys" <[hidden email]>:
>
> Bringing a discussion from the Lazarus mailing list to here.
>
>
> On 2017-09-24 09:13, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> > It's called Attributes. FPC has it too, but it is not yet in trunk.
>
> Is there a timeline when FPC might support attributes/annotations in trunk?

I do hope to look at it soonish(TM), but no real timeline. Hopefully before 3.2.0 :D

Regards,
Sven


_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Mattias Gaertner
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:13:31 +0200
Sven Barth via fpc-pascal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 11.10.2017 14:45 schrieb "Graeme Geldenhuys" <
> [hidden email]>:
> >
> > Bringing a discussion from the Lazarus mailing list to here.
> >
> >
> > On 2017-09-24 09:13, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:  
> > > It's called Attributes. FPC has it too, but it is not yet in trunk.  
> >
> > Is there a timeline when FPC might support attributes/annotations in  
> trunk?
>
> I do hope to look at it soonish(TM), but no real timeline. Hopefully before
> 3.2.0 :D

Lazarus now supports attributes.

Mattias
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On 2017-11-27 21:39, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> Lazarus now supports attributes.

Awesome, thanks for the update.

[dreaming]
Now only if Lazarus could support the Delphi dcc32 compiler. ;-) Boy oh
boy... I've been using Delphi XE3 for a month now (new job) - it is
SH*T. Constant IDE crashes, online help doesn't work, the bug reporting
dialog that pops up after a IDE crash doesn't work (the irony), code
syntax check is broken, can't customise the shortcuts etc. I so miss
Lazarus and FPC!
[/dreaming]

Regards,
   Graeme

--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Michael Van Canneyt


On Wed, 29 Nov 2017, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 2017-11-27 21:39, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>> Lazarus now supports attributes.
>
> Awesome, thanks for the update.
>
> [dreaming]
> Now only if Lazarus could support the Delphi dcc32 compiler. ;-) Boy oh
> boy... I've been using Delphi XE3 for a month now (new job) - it is
> SH*T. Constant IDE crashes, online help doesn't work, the bug reporting
> dialog that pops up after a IDE crash doesn't work (the irony), code
> syntax check is broken, can't customise the shortcuts etc. I so miss
> Lazarus and FPC!
> [/dreaming]

You can. In the project options, set the Pre-compiler command to DCC32.
Uncheck the compile step.

This is how we compile web projects currently.

You'll be able to compile, but the IDE will not be able to jump to the error
location in case of an error. That would require parsing the compiler error
messages.

Michael.
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
In reply to this post by Graeme Geldenhuys-6
On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 4:50 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [dreaming]
> Now only if Lazarus could support the Delphi dcc32 compiler. ;-) Boy oh
> boy... I've been using Delphi XE3 for a month now (new job) - it is SH*T.
> Constant IDE crashes, online help doesn't work, the bug reporting dialog
> that pops up after a IDE crash doesn't work (the irony), code syntax check
> is broken, can't customise the shortcuts etc. I so miss Lazarus and FPC!
> [/dreaming]

Even if Lazarus could support Delphi dcc32, would not be enough
because it will still missing the components.

Best regards,
Marcos Douglas
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
In reply to this post by Michael Van Canneyt
On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 6:39 AM, Michael Van Canneyt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2017, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> On 2017-11-27 21:39, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>>>
>>> Lazarus now supports attributes.
>>
>>
>> Awesome, thanks for the update.
>>
>> [dreaming]
>> Now only if Lazarus could support the Delphi dcc32 compiler. ;-) Boy oh
>> boy... I've been using Delphi XE3 for a month now (new job) - it is SH*T.
>> Constant IDE crashes, online help doesn't work, the bug reporting dialog
>> that pops up after a IDE crash doesn't work (the irony), code syntax check
>> is broken, can't customise the shortcuts etc. I so miss Lazarus and FPC!
>> [/dreaming]
>
>
> You can. In the project options, set the Pre-compiler command to DCC32.
> Uncheck the compile step.
>
> This is how we compile web projects currently.

What? I thought that you use FPC for web projects...

Best regards,
Marcos Douglas
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Mattias Gaertner
In reply to this post by Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 09:07:31 -0200
"Marcos Douglas B. Santos" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 4:50 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > [dreaming]
> > Now only if Lazarus could support the Delphi dcc32 compiler. ;-) Boy oh
> > boy... I've been using Delphi XE3 for a month now (new job) - it is SH*T.
> > Constant IDE crashes, online help doesn't work, the bug reporting dialog
> > that pops up after a IDE crash doesn't work (the irony), code syntax check
> > is broken, can't customise the shortcuts etc. I so miss Lazarus and FPC!
> > [/dreaming]  
>
> Even if Lazarus could support Delphi dcc32, would not be enough
> because it will still missing the components.

True. No designer, object inspector. You would have to create them in
code.


Mattias
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Michael Van Canneyt
In reply to this post by Marcos Douglas B. Santos


On Wed, 29 Nov 2017, Marcos Douglas B. Santos wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 6:39 AM, Michael Van Canneyt
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> On Wed, 29 Nov 2017, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>
>>> On 2017-11-27 21:39, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Lazarus now supports attributes.
>>>
>>>
>>> Awesome, thanks for the update.
>>>
>>> [dreaming]
>>> Now only if Lazarus could support the Delphi dcc32 compiler. ;-) Boy oh
>>> boy... I've been using Delphi XE3 for a month now (new job) - it is SH*T.
>>> Constant IDE crashes, online help doesn't work, the bug reporting dialog
>>> that pops up after a IDE crash doesn't work (the irony), code syntax check
>>> is broken, can't customise the shortcuts etc. I so miss Lazarus and FPC!
>>> [/dreaming]
>>
>>
>> You can. In the project options, set the Pre-compiler command to DCC32.
>> Uncheck the compile step.
>>
>> This is how we compile web projects currently.
>
> What? I thought that you use FPC for web projects...

I do. I meant that I use pas2js as the precompiler command.

Michael.
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Michael Van Canneyt
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I do. I meant that I use pas2js as the precompiler command.

Hmm... right.
I saw yesterday, in the official website, that FPC 3.0.4 was released
but I didn't see an email about it...
Is pas2js included in that version?

Best,
Marcos Douglas
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Michael Van Canneyt


On Wed, 29 Nov 2017, Marcos Douglas B. Santos wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Michael Van Canneyt
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I do. I meant that I use pas2js as the precompiler command.
>
> Hmm... right.
> I saw yesterday, in the official website, that FPC 3.0.4 was released
> but I didn't see an email about it...
> Is pas2js included in that version?

No, but I plan to make pas2js generally available this weekend.

Michael.
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Michael Van Canneyt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2017, Marcos Douglas B. Santos wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Michael Van Canneyt
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> I do. I meant that I use pas2js as the precompiler command.
>>
>>
>> Hmm... right.
>> I saw yesterday, in the official website, that FPC 3.0.4 was released
>> but I didn't see an email about it...
>> Is pas2js included in that version?
>
>
> No, but I plan to make pas2js generally available this weekend.

OK, thank you.


Marcos Douglas
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
In reply to this post by Mattias Gaertner
On 2017-11-29 12:08, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>> Even if Lazarus could support Delphi dcc32, would not be enough
>> because it will still missing the components.
 >
> True. No designer, object inspector. You would have to create them in
> code.


Yup, I gathered that much... Hence the "dreaming" tag I used. :)

I just can't believe how bad things have become in Delphi. A commercial
"professional" and "enterprise" quality product - it's everything but
that! And the asking price is higher than it has ever been before.
Amazing what a strong hold Embarcadero has with their "ransome-ware
pricing model" on corporate companies. The open source alternatives are
simply miles ahead - but corporates are reluctant to budge. Instead they
will consider (toy with the idea) a rewrite of a multi-million lines of
code project into C#, rather than move to open source development tools
where they can keep the huge code base, the same language and reuse the
same development skills. How weird?? Have corporates lost their minds.


Regards,
   Graeme

--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Yup, I gathered that much... Hence the "dreaming" tag I used. :)
>
> I just can't believe how bad things have become in Delphi. A commercial
> "professional" and "enterprise" quality product - it's everything but that!
> And the asking price is higher than it has ever been before. Amazing what a
> strong hold Embarcadero has with their "ransome-ware pricing model" on
> corporate companies. The open source alternatives are simply miles ahead -
> but corporates are reluctant to budge. Instead they will consider (toy with
> the idea) a rewrite of a multi-million lines of code project into C#, rather
> than move to open source development tools where they can keep the huge code
> base, the same language and reuse the same development skills. How weird??
> Have corporates lost their minds.

I believe that the real problem is to find Object Pascal programmers
comparing with other languages.
The companies are thinking in their future.

"Who will maintain this code?"
"No one are using Object Pascal nowadays".

I hear something like this two times per month.  :\

However, we know the potential of Object Pascal as a language to do anything.
If we have a better marketing, maybe more programmers could have more
interest to use the language.

Best,
Marcos Douglas
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

LacaK

>> the idea) a rewrite of a multi-million lines of code project into C#, rather
>> than move to open source development tools where they can keep the huge code
>> base, the same language and reuse the same development skills. How weird??
>> Have corporates lost their minds.
> I believe that the real problem is to find Object Pascal programmers
> comparing with other languages.
> The companies are thinking in their future.
>
> "Who will maintain this code?"
> "No one are using Object Pascal nowadays".
>
> I hear something like this two times per month.  :\
>
> However, we know the potential of Object Pascal as a language to do anything.
> If we have a better marketing, maybe more programmers could have more
> interest to use the language.
IMO root of problem is in schools. People come to companies from schools
and what they have learned in schools, is what they are expecting in
companies ...
When I walked to school, we learned Pascal, I am suspicious, that this
does not happen nowadays.

-Laco.

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 4:23 AM, LacaK <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>>> the idea) a rewrite of a multi-million lines of code project into C#,
>>> rather
>>> than move to open source development tools where they can keep the huge
>>> code
>>> base, the same language and reuse the same development skills. How
>>> weird??
>>> Have corporates lost their minds.
>>
>> I believe that the real problem is to find Object Pascal programmers
>> comparing with other languages.
>> The companies are thinking in their future.
>>
>> "Who will maintain this code?"
>> "No one are using Object Pascal nowadays".
>>
>> I hear something like this two times per month.  :\
>>
>> However, we know the potential of Object Pascal as a language to do
>> anything.
>> If we have a better marketing, maybe more programmers could have more
>> interest to use the language.
>
> IMO root of problem is in schools. People come to companies from schools and
> what they have learned in schools, is what they are expecting in companies
> ...
> When I walked to school, we learned Pascal, I am suspicious, that this does
> not happen nowadays.

Yes.
And I think people are thinking in Object Pascal as Turbo Pascal or
something like that.
I believe most don't know about FPC as a modern compiler.
Is so simpler using Object Pascal environment than Java or .NET. So,
FPC could be more used by schools.

Best,
Marcos Douglas
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Graeme Geldenhuys-6
In reply to this post by Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On 2017-11-29 23:37, Marcos Douglas B. Santos wrote:
> I believe that the real problem is to find Object Pascal programmers
> comparing with other languages.

True, there is less, but we (our company) still manages to find and
employ those with suitable Object Pascal skills. We have around 50
developers in our office, and then some in LA (USA) and some in Poland.

> "No one are using Object Pascal nowadays".

It seems there is still pretty good interest in Object Pascal in Brazil.
We have a 21 year old that just got hired, and he studied Object Pascal
in Brazil. I found such a "young age Object Pascal developer" rather
surprising, because everybody else I've met that does Delphi/Object
Pascal coding has been much older. The 90's generation that grew up. :)


> I hear something like this two times per month.  :\

We have a recruitment agent that sends any Object Pascal developer he
finds to us - if we are actively looking or not. If they are skilled, we
find a role for them - and that keeps our dev teams topped up.


> If we have a better marketing, maybe more programmers could have more
> interest to use the language.

Yeah, if the FPC Foundation could help with marketing the language and
FPC (and Lazarus), that would be a great step in the right direction.


Regards,
   Graeme

--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Marcos Douglas B. Santos
On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-11-29 23:37, Marcos Douglas B. Santos wrote:
>
>> "No one are using Object Pascal nowadays".
>
>
> It seems there is still pretty good interest in Object Pascal in Brazil. We
> have a 21 year old that just got hired, and he studied Object Pascal in
> Brazil. I found such a "young age Object Pascal developer" rather
> surprising, because everybody else I've met that does Delphi/Object Pascal
> coding has been much older. The 90's generation that grew up. :)

Yes, there is still pretty good interest in Object Pascal in Brazil —
I have been
writing in a blog[1] for 2 years and it still growing — but it's not
like it used to be in
Delphi 5~7 many years ago.

>> I hear something like this two times per month.  :\
>
> We have a recruitment agent that sends any Object Pascal developer he finds
> to us - if we are actively looking or not. If they are skilled, we find a
> role for them - and that keeps our dev teams topped up.

Very good.

>> If we have a better marketing, maybe more programmers could have more
>> interest to use the language.
>
> Yeah, if the FPC Foundation could help with marketing the language and FPC
> (and Lazarus), that would be a great step in the right direction.

I agree.

Best regards,
Marcos Douglas

[1] https://goo.gl/ROmyBb
_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Lukasz Sokol
On 01/12/17 13:24, Marcos Douglas B. Santos wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
[...]
>>> If we have a better marketing, maybe more programmers could have more
>>> interest to use the language.
>>

Given ESR's recent (or not so recent, as I only found it today) rant
http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7711
there may be unexpected support in unexpected places, as even the old towers of C seem to crumble ;)

(lwn.net seems to be attracting a lot of various articles about a lot of languages,
 but I haven't seen one about Pascal like, ever...)

>> Yeah, if the FPC Foundation could help with marketing the language and FPC
>> (and Lazarus), that would be a great step in the right direction.
>

(I am not even a subscriber to lwn so my emails probably go to /dev/null,
 but if the Foundation put up a press release or two there, maybe they'd publish that)

> I agree.
>
> Best regards,
> Marcos Douglas

-l.

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FPC attributes / annotations support

Victor Campillo
In reply to this post by Michael Van Canneyt
On 29/11/17 14:31, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
> No, but I plan to make pas2js generally available this weekend.
>
> Michael.

Hi Michael,

I am very interested in pas2js, right now I am trying to choose which
tool use for web development for a project in which the web server was
made with FPC, and it would be marvelous if I just could use FPC for the
entire project.

A few months ago you provided on this list the link below with a preview
of pas2js, but is no longer available and since I have these week a few
spare time I would like to test the capabilities of pas2js, if the
release is going to take some time yet, would you be so kind to make the
preview available again to take a look at what can be done with pas2js?

https://www.freepascal.org/~michael/pas2js-demo-0.8.28.zip 
<https://www.freepascal.org/%7Emichael/pas2js-demo-0.8.28.zip>

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

--
Victor Campillo

_______________________________________________
fpc-pascal maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://lists.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fpc-pascal
12