FPC Bombs

John Youngquist
I am a regular user of FPC and find it is a great system. I ported
a 10k line application from BP7 and it ran ten times faster.
I am stuck with a problem that seems to happen about
every month or so. When I click on the icon to start the program
it just flashes on screen and exits so fast you can't see anything.
In the past I found that re-installing FPC would fix it.  This time
it doesn't. I tried uninstall-reinstall no luck. I did have Norton decide
to kill FPC and write protect it's directory, and delete the source file
too.
I killed Norton and removed it which uninstall won't do. A special program
from the Norton web site is the only way to remove it. It worked well after
Norton was gone. When FPC works it works great.
I am running XP. Any ideas?

Thanks

JY

Re: FPC Bombs

Jonas Maebe-2

On 10 May 2008, at 21:34, John Youngquist wrote:

> I am a regular user of FPC and find it is a great system. I ported
> a 10k line application from BP7 and it ran ten times faster.
> I am stuck with a problem that seems to happen about
> every month or so. When I click on the icon to start the program
> it just flashes on screen and exits so fast you can't see anything.

To start which program? The fp IDE, or your own program? If it's your
own program, try compiling it with debugging information and running
it in the debugger.

Re: FPC Bombs

John Youngquist
I don't think its my program because it worked fine last time i opened it.
I just fixed it by removing FPC and deleting the FPC directory where
it was installed then reinstalling. I dislike this a fix cause you don't
know the cause. I did notice some stuff leftover from the remove but
didn't keep it.

Thanks   JY

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 10 May 2008, at 21:34, John Youngquist wrote:
>
>> I am a regular user of FPC and find it is a great system. I ported
>> a 10k line application from BP7 and it ran ten times faster.
>> I am stuck with a problem that seems to happen about
>> every month or so. When I click on the icon to start the program
>> it just flashes on screen and exits so fast you can't see anything.
>

> To start which program? The fp IDE, or your own program? If it's your
> own program, try compiling it with debugging information and running
> it in the debugger.
>

> Jonas
>
> .

Re: FPC Bombs

Jonas Maebe-2

On 10 May 2008, at 22:30, John Youngquist wrote:

> Jonas Maebe wrote:
>

>> On 10 May 2008, at 21:34, John Youngquist wrote:
>>
>>> I am a regular user of FPC and find it is a great system. I ported
>>> a 10k line application from BP7 and it ran ten times faster.
>>> I am stuck with a problem that seems to happen about
>>> every month or so. When I click on the icon to start the program
>>> it just flashes on screen and exits so fast you can't see anything.
>>
>> To start which program? The fp IDE, or your own program? If it's
>> your  own program, try compiling it with debugging information and
>> running  it in the debugger.

> I don't think its my program because it worked fine last time i
> opened it.

I meant "Which program just flashes on screen and exits so fast you
can't see anything". From your answer above, I gather that it's not
your own program? So which program is it?

> I just fixed it by removing FPC and deleting the FPC directory where
> it was installed then reinstalling. I dislike this a fix cause you
> don't
> know the cause. I did notice some stuff leftover from the remove but
> didn't keep it.

If it is the Free Pascal IDE (fp.exe), you may want to try deleting
all occurrences of "fp.dsk" and "fp.ini" you can find on your hard
drive. Those store the IDE's settings. If such a file becomes
corrupted for whatever reason, that might cause the IDE to crash.

Re: FPC Bombs

John Youngquist
Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 10 May 2008, at 22:30, John Youngquist wrote:
>
>> Jonas Maebe wrote:

>>> To start which program? The fp IDE, or your own program? If it's
>>> your  own program, try compiling it with debugging information and
>>> running  it in the debugger.
>>

>> I don't think its my program because it worked fine last time i
>> opened it.
>

> I meant "Which program just flashes on screen and exits so fast you
> can't see anything". From your answer above, I gather that it's not
> your own program? So which program is it?
>
>> I just fixed it by removing FPC and deleting the FPC directory where
>> it was installed then reinstalling. I dislike this a fix cause you
>> don't
>> know the cause. I did notice some stuff leftover from the remove but
>> didn't keep it.
>

> If it is the Free Pascal IDE (fp.exe), you may want to try deleting
> all occurrences of "fp.dsk" and "fp.ini" you can find on your hard
> drive. Those store the IDE's settings. If such a file becomes
> corrupted for whatever reason, that might cause the IDE to crash.

It was the IDE opening my source that flashed and died. Although it
didn't even show a glimpse of the source before dying.
It's good to know what thoses files are for. I never ran across any
documentation on them. I will certainly give that a try
next time.

Never the less FPC is a marvelous system.

Thanks   JY

> Jonas
>
> .

Re: FPC Bombs

Tomas Hajny
On Mon, May 12, 2008 06:13, John Youngquist wrote:

> Jonas Maebe wrote:

 .
 .

>> If it is the Free Pascal IDE (fp.exe), you may want to try deleting
>> all occurrences of "fp.dsk" and "fp.ini" you can find on your hard
>> drive. Those store the IDE's settings. If such a file becomes
>> corrupted for whatever reason, that might cause the IDE to crash.
>>
> It was the IDE opening my source that flashed and died. Although it
> didn't even show a glimpse of the source before dying.
> It's good to know what thoses files are for. I never ran across any
> documentation on them. I will certainly give that a try
> next time.

BTW, if you want to help improving FPC and having the problem solved in
future versions, you might want to archive the files somewhere rather than
deleting the files completely (e.g. zip them or so), try finding out which
one of them is the problematic one and post a bug report with the broken
file attached in our bug repository (http://bugs.freepascal.org), so that
at least the crash can be fixed eventually (avoiding the crash _and_
generation of the broken file would be even better, of course ;-) ).

Tomas